Samatha Meditation instructions

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
pyluyten

Re: Samatha Meditation instructions

Post by pyluyten »

User1249x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 pm Some old notes of mine mainly based on Vsm & Sutta;
thanks
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:48 pm Hi boundless,

The best instruction I have received was via this organisation:

https://www.samatha.org/

The best option is to attend a class in person (I don't know where you are based) but you will see that they also do an online version.

Failing that, Googling the title that you have given this thread will bring up lots of different sets of instructions. You could shop around among these, and, of course, include other recommendations that you are given here.
Quick update. I registered to the online class the other week. We're at week 2. It's too soon to say much about it but it is interesting so far. Each week there is a recording to listen, some written instructions and the possibility to talk to a teacher on skype. Their teaching of the longest comfortable breath during the meditation is new to me and it will take some practice before it becomes normal to me but so far so good.
apophenia

Post by apophenia »

Patrice wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:28 pm

The best option is to attend a class in person (I don't know where you are based) but you will see that they also do an online version.

Failing that, Googling the title that you have given this thread will bring up lots of different sets of instructions. You could shop around among these, and, of course, include other recommendations that you are given here.
Quick update. I registered to the online class the other week. We're at week 2. It's too soon to say much about it but it is interesting so far. Each week there is a recording to listen, some written instructions and the possibility to talk to a teacher on skype. Their teaching of the longest comfortable breath during the meditation is new to me and it will take some practice before it becomes normal to me but so far so good.
I did the online course as well, twice even, though the second time around I was not very involved in the things posted on the website as I already had all the teachings printed out. I'm still in contact with my teacher every other week or so and have been on two practice weeks. My experience with Samatha Trust has been (and continues to be) very good. The practice might take some getting used to because there's some breath manipulation involved, but only very lightly (the emphasis is on 'comfortable' and 'try not to disturb the breath').

That said, I have found this book extremely helpful as well: Culadasa - The Mind Illuminated
It's quite technical and very practical and covers everything you ever wanted to know about samatha-vipassana meditation, and more, and there's a very active Reddit community as well if you'd still have questions.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Patrice wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi Patrice,

Excellent, I'm glad to hear it. I found it got more interesting as it went on. Worth persisting with!

:anjali: