When the breath becomes more refined I get scared i will die

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Strive4Karuna

Re: When the breath becomes more refined I get scared i will die

Post by Strive4Karuna »

LG2V wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 pm Asubha meditation on the dead body helped for me. Meditate and imagine your body undergoing the various stages of dying, especially as a decomposed skeleton. It helps stabilize your meditation a lot. When you see the reaper, he won't be interested in you because you're a skull and bones, too. You realize that death is inherent in you.
LG appreciate the reply and your insight thanks dude
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Strive4Karuna wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:38 pm
mikenz66 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 am Can you tell us a little more about your approach to breath meditation, and what happens that frightens you?

It's not uncommon to have disconcerting experiences. That is when it is useful to have teachers or companions for reassurance...

Mike
I just watch the breath. That is all. Sometimes using the word buddho or "in" for the in breath and "out" for the out breath or no mantra at all. Sometimes i do not close my eyes at all and just repeat buddho buddho and my eyes feel the need to close and i can feel myself tunneling inwards and the breath seems not to be there however i know it is just refined and harder for me to concentrate because i am panicing in fear that the breath is dissipating.
OK, thanks for the clarification. There are many ways of watching the breath, at particular places (nostrils, chest motion, abdomen motion, general awareness of breathing...) and various ways of dealing with what one observes. Perhaps you're not sure what exactly you are trying to watch, and so you are not building the mindfulness required to deal with the subtleties. Perhaps try taking an interest in what exactly the breath is doing. Can you discern the start and end of the in and out breaths? Are there gaps between the in and out breath? Which gap is longer? What do you observe during the gaps? The point is to refine your attention and mindfulness, so that you can notice more and more about your body and mind. If the breath seems to have disappeared try watching for the sensations that you were previously using the discen that you were breathing. If you feel panicked, focus on that feeling. Are there physical sensations associated with the panic? And so on...

My usual advice is to pick the instructions of a particular teacher who inspires you, and follow their method, for a while by reading or listening to their talks. Since you seem to be partial to some variety of Thai Forest approach, maybe listen to some of Ajahn Brahm's guided meditations and instructions.

:heart:
Mike
Mike I am definetly not as aware of the different stages of my breath as you suggested. Will try to keep this in mind. Thanks Mike
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

dylanj wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 pm you're not going to die from meditating

dispel that fear & keep at it
Then the monks — [thinking,] "The Blessed One, with many lines of reasoning, has given a talk on the unattractiveness [of the body], has spoken in praise of [the perception of] unattractiveness, has spoken in praise of the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness" — remained committed to the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness in many modes & manners. They — ashamed, repelled, & disgusted with this body — sought for an assassin. In one day, ten monks took the knife. In one day, twenty monks took the knife. In one day, thirty monks took the knife.

Then the Blessed One, emerging from his seclusion after half a month's time, said to Ven. Ananda, "Ananda, why does the community of monks seem so depleted?"

"Because, lord, the Blessed One, with many lines of reasoning, gave the monks a talk on the unattractiveness [of the body], spoke in praise of [the perception of] unattractiveness, spoke in praise of the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness. The monks — [thinking,] 'The Blessed One, with many lines of reasoning, has given a talk on the unattractiveness [of the body], has spoken in praise of [the perception of] unattractiveness, has spoken in praise of the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness' — remained committed to the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness in many modes & manners. They — ashamed, repelled, & disgusted with this body — sought for an assassin. In one day, ten monks took the knife. In one day, twenty monks took the knife. In one day, thirty monks took the knife. It would be good, lord, if the Blessed One would explain another method so that this community of monks might be established in gnosis."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

Dhammarakkhito wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:18 am
dylanj wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 pm you're not going to die from meditating

dispel that fear & keep at it
Then the monks — [thinking,] "The Blessed One, with many lines of reasoning, has given a talk on the unattractiveness [of the body], has spoken in praise of [the perception of] unattractiveness, has spoken in praise of the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness" — remained committed to the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness in many modes & manners. They — ashamed, repelled, & disgusted with this body — sought for an assassin. In one day, ten monks took the knife. In one day, twenty monks took the knife. In one day, thirty monks took the knife.

Then the Blessed One, emerging from his seclusion after half a month's time, said to Ven. Ananda, "Ananda, why does the community of monks seem so depleted?"

"Because, lord, the Blessed One, with many lines of reasoning, gave the monks a talk on the unattractiveness [of the body], spoke in praise of [the perception of] unattractiveness, spoke in praise of the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness. The monks — [thinking,] 'The Blessed One, with many lines of reasoning, has given a talk on the unattractiveness [of the body], has spoken in praise of [the perception of] unattractiveness, has spoken in praise of the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness' — remained committed to the development of [the perception of] unattractiveness in many modes & manners. They — ashamed, repelled, & disgusted with this body — sought for an assassin. In one day, ten monks took the knife. In one day, twenty monks took the knife. In one day, thirty monks took the knife. It would be good, lord, if the Blessed One would explain another method so that this community of monks might be established in gnosis."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
They didn't die from meditating. They died from suicide/murder. OP is concerned about his breath stopping as a result of samatha (which will happen, but he won't die from it).
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

Nine successional cessations, thus:—Taking each of the foregoing nine in order, by the attainment of (1) First Jhāna, sensuous perceptions cease, (2) Second Jhāna, applied and sustained thought ceases, (3) Third Jhāna zest ceases, (4) Fourth Jhāna, respiration ceases, (5) by the perception of infinite space, perception of material things ceases, (6) by the perception of infinite consciousness, perception of infinite space ceases, (7) by the perception of nothingness, perception of infinite consciousness ceases, (8) by the perception that is neither conscious nor yet unconscious, perception of nothingness ceases, (9) by the cessation of perception and feeling, perception that is neither conscious nor yet unconscious ceases.
https://suttacentral.net/en/dn33
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

Dhammarakkhito wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 am Nine successional cessations, thus:—Taking each of the foregoing nine in order, by the attainment of (1) First Jhāna, sensuous perceptions cease, (2) Second Jhāna, applied and sustained thought ceases, (3) Third Jhāna zest ceases, (4) Fourth Jhāna, respiration ceases, (5) by the perception of infinite space, perception of material things ceases, (6) by the perception of infinite consciousness, perception of infinite space ceases, (7) by the perception of nothingness, perception of infinite consciousness ceases, (8) by the perception that is neither conscious nor yet unconscious, perception of nothingness ceases, (9) by the cessation of perception and feeling, perception that is neither conscious nor yet unconscious ceases.
https://suttacentral.net/en/dn33
yes good. OP should know his breath can stop totally without there being danger to him.

:goodpost:
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss