What is this vipassana method called?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
ieee23

What is this vipassana method called?

Post by ieee23 »

There is a vipassana method called "noting" in English. Whatever thought or feeling pops up, you give it a label.

Is it also called "The Mahashi Method" ?

Does "Noting" have another name? Where does it come from?

Is there a short, boiler plate piece on the web that describes it?

Are there books that go into depth about using it ( and why use it as opposed to other methods ) ?
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
paul

Re: What is this vipassana method called?

Post by paul »

Go to “3. Mindfulness and Bare Attention”:

http://www.ahandfulofleaves.org/documen ... i_2011.pdf

Bikkhu Bodhi makes the point that although bare attention is far from an optimal practice of mindfulness, it is a first step. It's much better to be objectively distanced from thoughts and emotions than to be immersed in them, but bare attention doesn't include a strategy for reducing hindrances or cultivating wholesome states.
Last edited by paul on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

There is a vipassana method called "noting" in English.
What is the Sutta support for this?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
bodom

Post by bodom »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:10 am
There is a vipassana method called "noting" in English.
What is the Sutta support for this?
There is mental noting found all throughout The Satipatthana Sutta:
Ever mindful he breathes in, mindful he breathes out. Breathing in a long breath, he knows, "I am breathing in a long breath"; breathing out a long breath, he knows, "I am breathing out a long breath"; breathing in a short breath, he knows, "I am breathing in a short breath"; breathing out a short breath, he knows, "I am breathing out a short breath."

"Experiencing the whole (breath-) body, I shall breathe in," thus he trains himself. "Experiencing the whole (breath-) body, I shall breathe out," thus he trains himself. "Calming the activity of the (breath-) body, I shall breathe in," thus he trains himself. "Calming the activity of the (breath-) body, I shall breathe out," thus he trains himself.
And further, monks, a monk knows, when he is going, "I am going"; he knows, when he is standing, "I am standing"; he knows, when he is sitting, "I am sitting"; he knows, when he is lying down, "I am lying down"; or just as his body is disposed so he knows it.
Herein, monks, when sense-desire is present, a monk knows, "There is sense-desire in me," or when sense-desire is not present, he knows, "There is no sense-desire in me." He knows how the arising of the non-arisen sense-desire comes to be; he knows how the abandoning of the arisen sense-desire comes to be; and he knows how the non-arising in the future of the abandoned sense-desire comes to be.

When anger is present, he knows, "There is anger in me," or when anger is not present, he knows, "There is no anger in me." He knows how the arising of the non-arisen anger comes to be; he knows how the abandoning of the arisen anger comes to be; and he knows how the non-arising in the future of the abandoned anger comes to be.

When sloth and torpor are present, he knows, "There are sloth and torpor in me," or when sloth and torpor are not present, he knows, "There are no sloth and torpor in me." He knows how the arising of the non-arisen sloth and torpor comes to be; he knows how the abandoning of the arisen sloth and torpor comes to be; and he knows how the non-arising in the future of the abandoned sloth and torpor comes to be.

When agitation and remorse are present, he knows, "There are agitation and remorse in me,"or when agitation and remorse are not present, he knows, "There are no agitation and remorse in me." He knows how the arising of the non-arisen agitation and remorse comes to be; he knows how the abandoning of the arisen agitation and remorse comes to be; and he knows how the non-arising in the future of the abandoned agitation and remorse comes to be.

When doubt is present, he knows, "There is doubt in me," or when doubt is not present, he knows "There is no doubt in me." He knows how the arising of the non-arisen doubt comes to be; he knows how the abandoning of the arisen doubt comes to be; and he knows how the non-arising in the future of the abandoned doubt comes to be.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:goodpost: Bodom
Isn't this Youniso Manasikara?
bodom

Post by bodom »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:25 am :goodpost: Bodom
Isn't this Youniso Manasikara?
Yes in particular in the fourth frame of reference. Yoniso Manasikara or appropriate attention becomes most prominent when working with the hindrances and factors for awakening. The following sutta shows how this works:
Feeding the Factors for Awakening

"Now, what is the food for the arising of unarisen mindfulness as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of mindfulness as a factor for Awakening once it has arisen? There are mental qualities that act as a foothold for mindfulness as a factor for Awakening [well-purified virtue & views made straight]. To foster appropriate attentionto them: This is the food for the arising of unarisen mindfulness as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of mindfulness as a factor for Awakening once it has arisen.

"And what is the food for the arising of unarisen analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of analysis of qualities... once it has arisen? There are mental qualities that are skillful & unskillful, blameworthy & blameless, gross & refined, siding with darkness & with light. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is the food for the arising of unarisen analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of analysis of qualities... once it has arisen.

"And what is the food for the arising of unarisen persistence as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of persistence... once it has arisen? There is the potential for effort, the potential for exertion, the potential for striving. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is the food for the arising of unarisen persistence as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of persistence... once it has arisen.

"And what is the food for the arising of unarisen rapture as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of rapture... once it has arisen? There are mental qualities that act as a foothold for rapture as a factor for Awakening. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is the food for the arising of unarisen rapture as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of rapture... once it has arisen.

"And what is the food for the arising of unarisen serenity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of serenity... once it has arisen? There is physical serenity & there is mental serenity. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is the food for the arising of unarisen serenity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of serenity... once it has arisen.

"And what is the food for the arising of unarisen concentration as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of concentration... once it has arisen? There are themes for calm, themes for non-distraction [these are the four frames of reference]. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is the food for the arising of unarisen concentration as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of concentration... once it has arisen.

"And what is the food for the arising of unarisen equanimity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of equanimity... once it has arisen? There are mental qualities that act as a foothold for equanimity as a factor for Awakening. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is the food for the arising of unarisen equanimity as a factor for Awakening, or for the growth & increase of equanimity as a factor for Awakening once it has arisen.

Starving the Hindrances

"Now, what is lack of food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen? There is the theme of unattractiveness. To foster appropriate attention to it: This is lack of food for the arising of unarisen sensual desire, or for the growth & increase of sensual desire once it has arisen.

And what is lack of food for the arising of unarisen ill will, or for the growth & increase of ill will once it has arisen? There is awareness-release.[1] To foster appropriate attention to that: This is lack of food for the arising of unarisen ill will, or for the growth & increase of ill will once it has arisen.

"And what is lack of food for the arising of unarisen sloth & drowsiness, or for the growth & increase of sloth & drowsiness once it has arisen? There is the potential for effort, the potential for exertion, the potential for striving. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is lack of food for the arising of unarisen sloth & drowsiness, or for the growth & increase of sloth & drowsiness once it has arisen.

"And what is lack of food for the arising of unarisen restlessness & anxiety, or for the growth & increase of restlessness & anxiety once it has arisen? There is the stilling of awareness. To foster appropriate attention to that: This is lack of food for the arising of unarisen restlessness & anxiety, or for the growth & increase of restlessness & anxiety once it has arisen.

"And what is lack of food for the arising of unarisen uncertainty, or for the growth & increase of uncertainty once it has arisen? There are mental qualities that are skillful & unskillful, blameworthy & blameless, gross & refined, siding with darkness & with light. To foster appropriate attention to them: This is lack of food for the arising of unarisen uncertainty, or for the growth & increase of uncertainty once it has arisen.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Yes in particular in the fourth frame of reference. Yoniso Manasikara or appropriate attention becomes most prominent when working with the hindrances and factors for awakening. The following sutta shows how this works:
Thanks.
What is appropriate attention (yoniso manasikara) in nutshell?
bodom

Post by bodom »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:58 am
Thanks.
What is appropriate attention (yoniso manasikara) in nutshell?
Have a look at the Sabbasava Sutta. It is the most complete sutta the Buddha gave on Yoniso Manasikara or appropriate attention.

Sabbasava Sutta

- BB
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thank you Bodom.
The summary from above Sutta
======

The Blessed One said, "Monks, the ending of the fermentations is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see. For one who knows what & sees what? Appropriate attention & inappropriate attention. When a monk attends inappropriately, unarisen fermentations arise, and arisen fermentations increase. When a monk attends appropriately, unarisen fermentations do not arise, and arisen fermentations are abandoned. There are fermentations to be abandoned by seeing, those to be abandoned by restraining, those to be abandoned by using, those to be abandoned by tolerating, those to be abandoned by avoiding, those to be abandoned by dispelling, and those to be abandoned by developing.

ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Wow, skimming over these "answers" not one attempted to answer my questions, only to use my questions as a springboard to go on about their own fixations.

ieee23 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 pm There is a vipassana method called "noting" in English. Whatever thought or feeling pops up, you give it a label.

Are there books that go into depth about using it ( and why use it as opposed to other methods ) ?
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

ieee23 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:27 pm Wow, skimming over these "answers" not one attempted to answer my questions, only to use my questions as a springboard to go on about their own fixations.

ieee23 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 pm There is a vipassana method called "noting" in English. Whatever thought or feeling pops up, you give it a label.

Here are some links I find useful.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=341#p6695

Noting/naming is just a small part of the approach. And it is just one possible approach.

Mike