A journey started today

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Paul Howard

A journey started today

Post by Paul Howard »

I recently registered on this forum and my initial introduction explained how the main hurdles I'm having to overcome are living in a busy household with my girlfriends family, working way to many hours and what I consider to be a moderate addiction to alcohol. I received some great feedback on the above points but haven't acted upon it until today.

This morning I went about my usual routine. Had my cup of tea, fed my dogs and for some reason I thought - I'm meditating today. It was very early, everyone else was still asleep (even my two year old son) and so I locked myself in the bathroom, sat on a bath mat and meditated. I left that bathroom much calmer, happier and relaxed.

Today I'm going to somewhere I go every week, which has a bar, but after meditating I feel much more confident in not drinking.

Looking forwards, all the meditation centres in my area are some distance away and run at times when either myself or my partner work. So my next question is this...

Do you have to be part of a sangha to continue or is it possible to do from home? Surely with all the online videos and literature available studying Buddhism and developing an effective practice can be done from home and fitting in with daily life??
retrofuturist

Re: A journey started today

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Paul,
Paul Howard wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:14 am Do you have to be part of a sangha to continue or is it possible to do from home?
It's done in solitude, whether done alone or in the presence of others.
Paul Howard wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:14 am Surely with all the online videos and literature available studying Buddhism and developing an effective practice can be done from home and fitting in with daily life??
Yes, although deeper levels of concentration can naturally be obtained when there are no commitments, whose execution would impinge upon your mind.

Also, there's a lot of garden paths you can be led down in terms of meditations which might feel nice, relaxing or spiritual, but don't actually lead to any insight into the Dhamma. To that end, personally, I would recommend sticking as closely as you can to the Buddha's own instructions. Others may disagree.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."