Some questions about walking meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Laurens

Some questions about walking meditation

Post by Laurens »

I have been doing sitting meditation for a good while now, but I feel I want to incorperate walking meditation into my practice more, as I hear that it has many benefits.

My meditation practice is to follow the breath around the tip of the nose, I use 'Bud-dho' to aid my concentration. I understand that in walking meditation you focus your attention on the soles of your feet as they touch the ground. Is it a standard practice to incorperate 'buddho' into walking meditation also? Currently I feel it may help as I find it difficult to focus my awareness, not having done a huge amount of walking meditation before.

Does anyone know of any useful tips, articles and what-not that might help me starting out walking meditation?

Many thanks
Laurens
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Cittasanto

Re: Some questions about walking meditation

Post by Cittasanto »

Bud-dho can be used with walking meditation but I am sure there are others here with more experiance to help.
I would essentially say you know what to do!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Manapa wrote:Bud-dho can be used with walking meditation but I am sure there are others here with more experiance to help.
Thanks. I'll get doing it then!

All the best
Laurens
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Laurens wrote:
Manapa wrote:Bud-dho can be used with walking meditation but I am sure there are others here with more experiance to help.
Thanks. I'll get doing it then!

All the best
Laurens
I have done a few retreats in a forest sangha monastery in warwick and what you put in your opening post is essentially the advise given on them!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
altar

Post by altar »

Hi.
I know of a few things people do. One is labelling, like saying, "walk-ing" - "left - right," "step-ping" , or just "walking, walking, walking," or when you stop, "stopping, standing, turning," or even slower, "lifting (the foot), pushing, touching (the ground)," another approach was in addition to your soles, note each time you are at the ends or the middle of your path, and also counting, like some people do with the breath.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Laurens,

Have a browse of these references for Walking Meditation - all are on Buddhanet.net.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&o ... dhanet.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---