Continuing the practice behind the PC

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
oak1

Continuing the practice behind the PC

Post by oak1 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Throughout the day bodily tension in the neck, shoulders and head is presenting itself to me. I think that a lot of this tension comes from bad posture during my time behind the PC. I get lost into my work however, lose awareness and with that the posture deteriorates. Any tips and tricks out there to keep the practice going even behind the PC? Also perhaps interesting to know why it is so much harder to stay aware when computing or watching a movie. Other advice to deal with this bodily pain is also very welcome.

Much thanks in advance and may you be well :anjali:

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Continuing the practice behind the PC

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon May 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Get up and walk more often. For health reasons it is very bad to sit for long periods without exercise. Many of us do it, but if you're getting neck and back pains, then it is likely that you sit far too long.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

2600htz

Post by 2600htz » Mon May 15, 2017 11:18 pm

Hello:

Sometimes when people are serious about meditation can end up trying to hard, and putting to much energy into the practice. That ends up causing a lot of restlessness.

If u think that might have something to do, i would just back off for a while.

Regards.

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue May 16, 2017 8:09 am

oak1 wrote:Throughout the day bodily tension in the neck, shoulders and head is presenting itself to me. I think that a lot of this tension comes from bad posture during my time behind the PC. I get lost into my work however, lose awareness and with that the posture deteriorates. Any tips and tricks out there to keep the practice going even behind the PC?
As far as tricks are concerned (not that I'm a fan of tricks): you could try with one of those body posture braces that can be worn under the clothes. I think the way they actually work is that because they are so uncomfortable, they constantly remind you to correct your posture. If you set the brace right, the only way it won't bother you is if you hold your body in correct posture.
Also perhaps interesting to know why it is so much harder to stay aware when computing or watching a movie.
If you compute or watch a movie in order to distract yourself (from your life's troubles), then this is why it's so much harder to stay aware then ...
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue May 16, 2017 11:57 am

oak1 wrote:Throughout the day bodily tension in the neck, shoulders and head is presenting itself to me. I think that a lot of this tension comes from bad posture during my time behind the PC. I get lost into my work however, lose awareness and with that the posture deteriorates. Any tips and tricks out there to keep the practice going even behind the PC?
As well as the ideas already mentioned, you could try a meditation timer (or similar) to chime every 15 minutes (or whatever) and remind you to stand up and stretch.
Also perhaps interesting to know why it is so much harder to stay aware when computing or watching a movie.
You said it yourself: "I get lost into my work however, lose awareness." :toilet:
Movies are designed to do exactly that - that's what gives them their power. Work is not quite so likely to take over your whole attention, but when it's going well ...
Most of the other things we do are at least partly physical, so we have to move. That keeps us engaged with our bodies.
Other advice to deal with this bodily pain is also very welcome. ...
Body scans, as taught in most meditation and yoga groups. You can make yourself aware of the tension, and once you're aware of it you can reduce it.

:namaste:
Kim

R1111 = rightviewftw

Post by R1111 = rightviewftw » Tue May 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Get a better chair/sit on the floor/working on the computer in standing/lying posture can work as well.