Perception of Light, how to train this?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
User156079

Perception of Light, how to train this?

Post by User156079 »

I've seen these passages in the Suttas and the Commentary and wonder how it can be made sense of and put into practice;
Source:Āloka-saññā
'perception of light'.

The recurring canonical passage reads:

"Here the monk contemplates the perception of light. He fixes his-mind to the perception of the day; as at day-time so at night, and as at night, so in the day. In this way, with a mind clear and unclouded, he develops a stage of mind that is full of brightness."

It is one of the methods of overcoming drowsiness, recommended by the Buddha to Mahā-Moggallāna (A.VII. 58). According to D. 33, it is conducive to the development of 'knowledge and vision' (s. visuddhi), and it is said to be helpful to the attainment of the 'divine eye' (s. abhiññā).
Source:Buddhagosa's Commentary based on Early Commentary
...lead to the casting out of sloth and torpor: ... reflection on the perception of light;...
in him who reflects on the brightness or the light of the moon, a lamp or a torch by night, and on the light or brightness of the sun by day...
The meaning should be understood thus: Sloth and torpor vanish in him, too, who at night is reflecting on the image of the perception of the brightness of the sun he got by day.
Might this be referring to Kasina Meditation? I saw some threads on Stackexchange about this but the answers merely referred to the commentary and i dont think it is sufficiently instructive.
Zom

Re: Perception of Light, how to train this?

Post by Zom »

Personally I think this can't be trained until you have deep samadhi, where this inner light really appears or starts to appear. Yes, I know the commys say about visualisation (of this very light), but I think this is a wrong explanation.
It is one of the methods of overcoming drowsiness, recommended by the Buddha to Mahā-Moggallāna
Moggallana was a very advanced student, who started jhana development from the very start and attained arahantship in 7 days. So this just confirms my idea that this method is for someone who dwells in jhanas.

You can also check MN128 for connection between samadhi and light.
User156079

Re: Perception of Light, how to train this?

Post by User156079 »

That makes sense, thanks