Practice Template

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
binocular

Re: Practice Template

Post by binocular » Sun May 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I've been thinking about what bothers me about your suggestion, and I think I'm onto something: Namely, I've grown up in a family (and extended social environment) where people place a low value on learning, training, practice. What matters here are 1. results, and 2. getting things right the first time around, or the second time at most.
Here's an example: I've recently injured myself with a sickel (nothing too bad) while working in my mother's garden. Once my mother found out, she angrily told me that I may never again work with a sickel. She had previously forbidden me to do the tasks after I had made a mistake or didn't do a very good job the first time around. I never objected and tried to see things her way. But this time, with the sickel injury, I actually told her that I will make an effort to be more careful in the future, surely there has to be a way to learn to use this tool more safely. But she resisted, saying that some things just can't be learned, and that one either knows them or not.

So yes, it looks like this is where I got this low opinion of learning, training, practice, and it comes with a lot of social pressure and baggage to keep it that way. Pressure and baggage that I often don't even seem to be aware of, but it seems to affect me anyway.

Learning to appreciate, see value in learning, training, practice -- this will be something quite new for me!
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

R1111 = rightviewftw

Re: Practice Template

Post by R1111 = rightviewftw » Wed May 17, 2017 5:56 pm

I would advice dropping the breathing exercises to stop trying to "cheat" one's way out of drowsiness and painful feelings, drowsiness is a valid meditation object for insight meditation, other than that i would be doing the yoga very mindfully if i was to do it and focusing on developing Mindfulness in daily activities.