Getting lost in metta meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
anthbrown84

Getting lost in metta meditation

Post by anthbrown84 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:16 am

Hello All,

I came across a bit of confusion this morning when I was practising metta. I generally have a bit of an issue focussing my attention on metta strongly but this is something I am working on and isn't really worthy of a post. However, my question is, what do you do when you get to the stage where, after maybe 40 minutes when the mind gets lost and its just to foggy to even start to generate metta?

With Metta as the object, is it ok when this happens to alternate what you keep going back to to regain focus? by that I mean, instead of using the phrases may I be well as your return point, can you bring the attention to the body, the buttocks on the stool? the breath even?? Maybe even talk yourself back into a calmed state of mind?

Is it counter productive to switch the focus of the meditation for a short period to regain some sense of control in the meditation??

I done a 48 minute mediation this morning, which is slightly longer than my usual, but after 40 minutes I was completely lost, to foggy, so the last 10 minutes or so of it I just sat there, feeling the physical body, trying to regain myself until I felt there was any real spiritual energy present so I could send the metta again.

I did find at this point that I was able to receive metta, a slight energy shift which brought my attention back for a while, so maybe this is something I can do from now on. But has anyone got any thoughts or insights into this for me??

Thankyou

Anthony
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate

R1111 = rightviewftw

Re: Getting lost in metta meditation

Post by R1111 = rightviewftw » Wed May 03, 2017 10:27 am

Could you tell us how you train Metta meditation?

anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:05 am

R1111 wrote:Could you tell us how you train Metta meditation?
Well its more of a feeling meditation I guess... part visualising the person in fron tof me, but not trying to force a visual to occur, whatever is there is enough... and then just trying to make the ''may you be well'' feel genuine and deep. Breathing with the Metta to help send it along its way.

I'm far from an expert in it though, and just trying my own method out you see.
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate

R1111 = rightviewftw

Post by R1111 = rightviewftw » Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 am

I am not an expert either. I have skimmed thru some manuals and tried if briefly in the past and want to learn it.
The more information you provide about the method the better because it will be easier to figure out what is going on and advice you. Fwiw it does not seem like you are practising according to Visuddhimagga, which is the best manual that i know of. What you encounter might be an arisen hindrance of Drowsiness/Sleepiness or Stagnation but i am just guessing at this point.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed May 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Greetings Anthony,

If I get a successful response back in this topic, then I will have some good advice for you... even without the actual sutta, you'll get a sense of what it's about from my attempt to describe it.

All the best.

UPDATE: See aflutun's post in the referenced topic. That's my recommendation! :)

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)