Leg Pain

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Nothing

Leg Pain

Post by Nothing » Mon May 01, 2017 5:38 pm

I am trying to sit for 30 minutes and I've done that a couple of times, but the last time, the pain in the bottom part of my legs was so bad I had to stop.

I can't do the lotus or half lotus positions, never have been, so I have bought a meditation stool, you sit on it, and fold your legs under the stool. The pain is in my ankles and front and back of my legs.

Any advice?

binocular

Re: Leg Pain

Post by binocular » Mon May 01, 2017 5:59 pm

There tend to form two camps on this issue:
One insists that one should just "sit with the pain", observe the pain etc.
The other advises to find ways to make the sitting more comfortable (by using a chair, exercising more to make the body more flexible, losing weight, etc.).

I suppose it comes down to each person deciding for themselves what the source of the pain is and how much they can or should endure.

R1111 = rightviewftw

Post by R1111 = rightviewftw » Mon May 01, 2017 6:24 pm

You will either have to overcome the pain or keep changing postures, i think it is most likely that you will eventually overcome it with Satipatthana Meditation. It is probably not deadly pain you are experiencing as it is very unlikely that it will cause any permanent damage so i would try to make it a meditation object. Other than this you can try standing meditation or meditating in lion's posture lying down but my guess is that you will run into the same hindrance eventually.

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks all for the advice

ganegaar

Post by ganegaar » Tue May 02, 2017 12:36 pm

I followed this video to practice daily. I cannot do a half lotus yet, (I think i am doing kind of a quarter lotus!), but the leg pain is now bearable at times, and even may be absent in certain sittings.
There are other good videos also, just search for Half lotus position yoga training.

I suppose almost all of them advice not to strain or force it, but allow the flexibility to develop as time goes on. So, take it slowly, otherwise you might hurt yourself.
Sīlepatiṭṭhāya naro sapañño, cittaṃ paññañca bhāvayaṃ;
Ātāpī nipako bhikkhu, so imaṃ vijaṭaye jaṭanti.

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Tue May 02, 2017 8:11 pm

ganegaar wrote:I followed this video to practice daily. I cannot do a half lotus yet, (I think i am doing kind of a quarter lotus!), but the leg pain is now bearable at times, and even may be absent in certain sittings.
There are other good videos also, just search for Half lotus position yoga training.

I suppose almost all of them advice not to strain or force it, but allow the flexibility to develop as time goes on. So, take it slowly, otherwise you might hurt yourself.
No way I'd be able to do that, no way on earth

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Just a few random suggestions here - I hope something might help!

1) Do you have a soft padded meditation mat? That can help with the compression of the soft tissues against the hard floor. Blankets or towels work well.
2) Tight trousers or other clothing can make things worse, as they can compress nerves and blood vessels when stretched. Have you tried shorts?
3) Some gentle stretching is often useful, including the back of the legs. Take it very slowly and easily. Little and often works better for me.
4) Have you considered using a normal straight-backed chair? There's no real reason why a person unused to sitting on the floor should do so for meditation. There are lots of sites which will explain how to achieve optimal posture with a normal chair.

Good luck!

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Tue May 02, 2017 10:12 pm

I've used a chair soon after I first started meditating because I initially did some damage to my knee from overzealous cross-legged sitting. That damage has also prevented me from using a kneeling seiza-type bench, which sounds like what you're using. A normal chair works, but I've gotten used to the luxury of using a slightly tilted seat that makes it easier to keep one's back straight. As well as a blanket to protect my buttocks—I've found it's usually the buttocks pain that causes me to end a long meditation session. If you've got some extra cash, you could check these out. They're good products, with the second being superior in function due to its adjustable height but less portable.

http://www.shop.bodyfriendlyfurniture.c ... u-tilt.htm

http://www.mayusanctuary.com/index.cfm/ ... Mayu-Seat/

Disclaimer: I'm in no way commercially affiliated with either of these companies.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Thu May 04, 2017 6:36 am

Thank you all

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Thu May 04, 2017 8:48 am

Nothing wrote:I am trying to sit for 30 minutes and I've done that a couple of times, but the last time, the pain in the bottom part of my legs was so bad I had to stop.

I can't do the lotus or half lotus positions, never have been, so I have bought a meditation stool, you sit on it, and fold your legs under the stool. The pain is in my ankles and front and back of my legs.

Any advice?
Meditation is about developing the mind, and IMO yogic contortions are entirely unnecessary, they are really just cultural baggage. I simply don't understand the "no pain, no gain" attitude that some have towards meditation.

Find a position that is basically comfortable. It's fine to sit on a straight-backed chair, or meditate lying down, whatever.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

BasementBuddhist

Post by BasementBuddhist » Thu May 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Enduring the pain helps challenge ourselves, our habits, and our need for pleasure. Also our perception of pain. I say endure. I find that the most significant breakthroughs happen when I am the most physically uncomfortable.

Just my two cents. Good luck!
Last edited by BasementBuddhist on Wed May 17, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Thu May 04, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm very familiar with this. I also bought a meditation stool for the same reason.

Just stretch. After a while you won't have any pain. Kneeling with the tops of your feet in contact with the ground will help. Just do it for 5 mins a day, and then longer as it gets easier. Then if you feel like it, go for some hip, adductor, hamstring, and quad stretches, which will eventually give you a half lotus, then a lotus. Try some yoga.

Don't force your legs into any weird positions that they can't comfortably stay in.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

Nothing

Post by Nothing » Thu May 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks all for the advice.

I sat again on the stool in the same position and it was much better this time around. I'm hoping I'm getting used to it.

Time will tell I guess.

Zom

Post by Zom » Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Worth listening to .)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu May 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Nothing wrote: I can't do the lotus or half lotus positions, never have been, so I have bought a meditation stool, you sit on it, and fold your legs under the stool. The pain is in my ankles and front and back of my legs.

Any advice?
Are your legs folded under the stool in cross-legged position? Or is it a kneeling bench? A kneeling bench might be good for you where you are in kneeling position and your bottom is resting on the kneeling bench, taking weight and pressure off the legs and ankles, but still a nice floor level position for meditation.