Practice

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
madhusameer1

Practice

Post by madhusameer1 »

Hi, I am a practitioner of Vipassana Meditation. I had been meditating for over 12 years, but fell off 2 years ago due to family related problems. I restarted a few months ago. Just a few days ago, I started having a throbbing headache during a meditation session. It starts at the base of my neck, and covers the back of my head. I can ignore/let go of teh rest of the headache, but this part is very intrusive. I have never experienced something like this before. It stays with me throughout the day....

Wondering why, after all these years, and if there is something I am doing wrong.

M
chownah

Re: Practice

Post by chownah »

You are older now and perhaps you are not getting enough exercise of the right kind. I recommend swimming if you have access to a facility.
chownah
madhusameer1

Post by madhusameer1 »

Thank you. I live in a very cold place, and there are extremely few swimming pools here. Is there any other exercise I can engage in?

M
santa100

Post by santa100 »

madhusameer1 wrote:Thank you. I live in a very cold place, and there are extremely few swimming pools here. Is there any other exercise I can engage in?

M
Jogging outdoor. The best cardio and also the cheapest exercise. Make sure you get a decent pair of running shoes though and start out nice and easy if you've never done it before. Then gradually build up your stamina..
form

Post by form »

Consult a doctor. There could be underlying problem if that is persistent.
purple1

Post by purple1 »

madhusameer1 wrote:Hi, I am a practitioner of Vipassana Meditation. I had been meditating for over 12 years, but fell off 2 years ago due to family related problems. I restarted a few months ago. Just a few days ago, I started having a throbbing headache during a meditation session. It starts at the base of my neck, and covers the back of my head. I can ignore/let go of teh rest of the headache, but this part is very intrusive. I have never experienced something like this before. It stays with me throughout the day....

Wondering why, after all these years, and if there is something I am doing wrong.

M
It is a result of meditation progress. I too had headaches during meditations. Just notice the feeling: "pain, pain". And focus on the painful feeling. Focus on the pain and notice it as "pain, pain". I experienced chakra energy also a many times. Headache also. These are signs of the meditation progress. Just notice the feeling as "pain, pain" and focus on the pain, and then the pain will disappear.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

madhusameer1 wrote: ...Just a few days ago, I started having a throbbing headache during a meditation session...I have never experienced something like this before. It stays with me throughout the day....
M
Based on the responses, there are a lot of possibilities here -- good luck using your good judgment.
This thread does remind me of one of neurologist Oliver Sacks' patients. He was becoming "serene," and his Hare Krishna friends told him he was making great spiritual progress; he didn't get a professional opinion. Turns out he had a debilitating brain tumor that was affecting his emotions; it ultimately resulted in blindness and significant memory loss (he was basically lost in the 1960s). So I say this not to scare you, but it is a cautionary tale: keep your good judgment.
Also, Sacks' case study is really fascinating, so I'll include a link to it here (perhaps more appropriate in the "Lounge").
http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/users/se367/1 ... hippie.pdf
(The patient was a major Grateful Dead fan which plays into the story; so if anyone here is such a fan, that fact may pique your interest in the link.)
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
User156079

Post by User156079 »

I recommend doing both, consulting a physician if it keeps happening and establishing Sati.
madhusameer1

Post by madhusameer1 »

Thank you all, for your helpful comments.

I am fully aware that I am free to consult a physician if I feel there is anything wrong. However, I asked this question only in context of Vipassana Meditation.

I am from India, and somewhat understand Kundalini energy rising. During a Vipassana Course several years ago, I had the experience, but I fully believe that these special "powers" are an addendum. They have never been the basis of my meditation, so I have let it go. However, with the headache, I was wondering if that had something to do with the headache, and if Vipassana recognized the legitimacy of the experience, and had something to offer.

Thats all. Again, thank you for your help.

M
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

madhusameer1 wrote:Thank you. I live in a very cold place, and there are extremely few swimming pools here. Is there any other exercise I can engage in?

M
If you are in a cold place then skipping is a better exercise. If possible please learn qigon.
arpansharma1

Post by arpansharma1 »

Mr. P L Dhar ([email protected]) is a very experienced teacher in this tradition and based in Delhi. He may be able to help.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

purple1 wrote:
madhusameer1 wrote:It is a result of meditation progress. I too had headaches during meditations. Just notice the feeling: "pain, pain". And focus on the painful feeling. Focus on the pain and notice it as "pain, pain". I experienced chakra energy also a many times. Headache also. These are signs of the meditation progress. Just notice the feeling as "pain, pain" and focus on the pain, and then the pain will disappear.
Headaches are not NORMALLY a "result of meditation progress", nor are they a SIGN of "meditation progress". Please post any statement to this effect by any traditionally trained Buddhist teacher.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.