Why i can not move to the second jhana from the first jhana?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
purple1

Why i can not move to the second jhana from the first jhana?

Post by purple1 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi i started practice anapanasati almost daily... some months ago. It seems i attained the first jhana. I will detail it. Why i can not move to the second jhana from the first jhana? During anapanasati meditation (focus on the breath) i often attain a mind state where thoughts not distract my mind. I can focus on the breathing for around 8 minutes and thoughts just comes and goes and i don't lose the focus. Why i can not move to the second jhana? Thanks for the answers.

Baloon

Re: Why i can not move to the second jhana from the first jhana?

Post by Baloon » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Check last posts in this topic for some suttas dealing with jhana http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 26#p399426

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:37 pm

Why i can not move to the second jhana?
Because you want to move to second Jhana!
A "want" is Vitakka and Vicara.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:49 pm

purple1 wrote:Hi i started practice anapanasati almost daily... some months ago. It seems i attained the first jhana. I will detail it. Why i can not move to the second jhana from the first jhana? During anapanasati meditation (focus on the breath) i often attain a mind state where thoughts not distract my mind. I can focus on the breathing for around 8 minutes and thoughts just comes and goes and i don't lose the focus. Why i can not move to the second jhana? Thanks for the answers.
Did your teacher confirm that you achieved first jhana? If so he/she should be able to guide you on the the second, if not I think the problem is obvious it's best for this kind of practice to be conducted with the guidance of a teacher.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:54 pm

purple1 wrote:Hi i started practice anapanasati almost daily... some months ago. It seems i attained the first jhana. I will detail it. Why i can not move to the second jhana from the first jhana? During anapanasati meditation (focus on the breath) i often attain a mind state where thoughts not distract my mind. I can focus on the breathing for around 8 minutes and thoughts just comes and goes and i don't lose the focus. Why i can not move to the second jhana? Thanks for the answers.
An important part of the 1rst Jhana is the feeling of rapture or joy are you feeling it?

smile
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

purple1

Post by purple1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:59 am

Goofaholix wrote:
Did your teacher confirm that you achieved first jhana? If so he/she should be able to guide you on the the second, if not I think the problem is obvious it's best for this kind of practice to be conducted with the guidance of a teacher.
Yes, my teacher confirmed that i achieved the first jhana. He is a monk who lives in Texas in a monastery.

purple1

Post by purple1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:00 am

dhammarelax wrote:
An important part of the 1rst Jhana is the feeling of rapture or joy are you feeling it?

smile
dhammarelax
Yes.

purple1

Post by purple1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:01 am

Baloon wrote:Check last posts in this topic for some suttas dealing with jhana http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 26#p399426
Thank you.

purple1

Post by purple1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:03 am

SarathW wrote:
Why i can not move to the second jhana?
Because you want to move to second Jhana!
A "want" is Vitakka and Vicara.
You are true.... Sometimes i feel that i want to move to the second jhana. Then i will think about Nirvana. The goal of the Path is Nirvana, not the jhanas. And jhanas are impermanent states. I will think about it sometimes. Maybe it will help.

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:30 am

purple1 wrote:Yes, my teacher confirmed that i achieved the first jhana. He is a monk who lives in Texas in a monastery.
If that's the case then keep reporting back your experiences to him and hopefully you can work it out together.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:56 pm

purple1 wrote:
dhammarelax wrote:

smile
dhammarelax
Yes.
Check Bhante Vimalamsi teachings he describes a fast methdology to advance through the jhanas.

smile
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

ryanM

Post by ryanM » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:05 pm

Try to be mindful, and let things take their natural course. Then your mind will become still in any surroundings, like a clear forest pool. All kinds of wonderful, rare animals will come to drink at the pool, and you will clearly see the nature of all things. You will see many strange and wonderful things come and go, but you will be still. This is the happiness of the Buddha.
From Ajahn Chah
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

purple1

Post by purple1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:27 pm

ryanM wrote:
Try to be mindful, and let things take their natural course. Then your mind will become still in any surroundings, like a clear forest pool. All kinds of wonderful, rare animals will come to drink at the pool, and you will clearly see the nature of all things. You will see many strange and wonderful things come and go, but you will be still. This is the happiness of the Buddha.
From Ajahn Chah
Thank you. It is very helpful. :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

purple1

Post by purple1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:29 pm

dhammarelax wrote:
Check Bhante Vimalamsi teachings he describes a fast methdology to advance through the jhanas.

smile
dhammarelax
Could you send a website link? I would thank you very much.

dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:50 am

purple1 wrote:
dhammarelax wrote:

smile
dhammarelax
Could you send a website link? I would thank you very much.
http://www.dhammasukha.org/