The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
AndyinJapan

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by AndyinJapan »

This week is 10 hours. 2 hours left with today and tomorrow still go go.

Next weeks goal will also be 10.

:candle:
AndyinJapan

Post by AndyinJapan »

I am writing this post mostly as a personal motivation. It has become quite long, so please don't feel obligated to read it. Thank you! :anjali:

I have realized that I tend to jump from technique to technique always worrying that I might not be using the correct technique for my current situation (without actually realizing that I am worrying). I've finally realized this, and how much it has been holding me back. I have not been able to commit to any form of meditation for more than a couple months at a time... most of the time it is honestly only a few weeks at a time (though sitting daily has been quite regular for me over the past 2 years).

With this realization, I made a major decision yesterday.

I vow to practice the radiation of metta in at least one meditation sitting per day, every day. Any other sittings (I usually sit twice) will generally be breath meditation, or any object I may find particularly helpful at the time. For 1 year.

A few hours later, I found myself worrying whether or not I should commit fully to one method or the other... More worrying... haha It appears to be the strongest hindrance in me at the moment.

So I made the vow more specific.
If I can only sit once in a day, I will perform metta radiation. If I can sit twice, once will be metta, once will be breath. If I can sit more than twice, the third+ can be any object I see fit (more metta, more breath, the other brahmaviharas, contemplation of the body, the 5 recollections, etc). This vow I will take for 1 year. I've also committed to the specific technique in each case (metta/breath) but will not go into that here.

I know this seems way over the top, but I realized that I needed to do the same thing to learn Japanese as well a few years ago. I needed very specific personal rules, or else I went off the rails trying everything that came my way.

So the reason I'm posting this is not that I need someone to check if it is ok, or to tell me it is too over the top (for most people it probably is). My first 2 sittings after this were better than any in the previous 3 months, because of the solidity of making the vow, writing it down, and signing it. So I'm pretty solid on it being the right decision.
The reason I am posting it is that I want to be held accountable, and I want it to be public. It's really just a way of building stronger walls to keep me going.

1 year, metta every day. Generally breath once per day as well.

There are other vows which relate to giving rise to wholesome qualities and getting rid of unwholesome qualities (arising metta throughout the day, etc), but they don't necessarily belong in this forum.
Komuso

Post by Komuso »

I aspire to sit in meditation for 50 minutes followed by 10 minutes of walking meditation once in the morning and once in the evening as my foundational practice.
:sage: Komuso
:buddha1: Namo Amitabha Buddhaya
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

nice thread, i had a good run recently but started to degenerate ~1.5 months in :(
probably no way to do any retreats this year so i hope i get to do a challenge as soon as things settle down irl
i am hoping 90+ days and a lot of hours
Id try 10 precepts, 100 days and 1000 hours
probably would not make it but it would be nice to try
want em gains :roll:
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Do not content with on Dhammawheels andor giving, let's meditation challenge :woohoo:

There are many benefits;

- establish crushing
- learn new things
- better person
- closer to Nibbana
- praised by the wise
- chill
- be smarter
- developed faculties
- not wanting to do bad behaviors
- at least a better rebirth if dead
- maybe phala, magga or all kinds of jhana
- better survival probability
- them enlightenment factors
- supreme merits
+++
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

let's do it starting next month
User1249x wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:16 am 10 precepts, 100 days and 1000 hours
10th precept going to switch not using money for not bathing more than twice a month and not checking dw
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

For meditation;
Satipatthana - I will do Ven. Ajahn Tong Sirimangalo's variation
+
Unattractiveness in food
Body Parts
Charnel Ground
6 Elements
Metta
and other perceptions

I will be working from home too so it will be work, sleep, eat and meditate mostly. I have a few meetings and will move to a different city next month but it should not be too distracting because it is just an hour and a half away.

I won't post or check the forum tho because i don't want to see certain people's posts or even be reminded of their existence as it might frustrate me and be a hindrance. I will log hours at a meditation website and post stats later.

Have a nice summer ya'll.
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

User1249x wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 pm For meditation;
Satipatthana - I will do Ven. Ajahn Tong Sirimangalo's variation
+
Unattractiveness in food
Body Parts
Charnel Ground
6 Elements
Metta
and other perceptions

I will be working from home too so it will be work, sleep, eat and meditate mostly. I have a few meetings and will move to a different city next month but it should not be too distracting because it is just an hour and a half away.

I won't post or check the forum tho because i don't want to see certain people's posts or even be reminded of their existence as it might frustrate me and be a hindrance. I will log hours at a meditation website and post stats later.

Have a nice summer ya'll.
"or even be reminded of their existence as it might frustrate me and be a hindrance"
*You could try metta??

Good luck!!! :)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

User1249x wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 pm Have a nice summer ya'll.
Have a productive time!

:heart:
Mike
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Garrib wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:07 pm "or even be reminded of their existence as it might frustrate me and be a hindrance"
*You could try metta??

Good luck!!! :)
Thanks, I am sure metta would work but if i get drawn into something that goes on for days it would be very hard to counter and keep meditating. Last time i was doing a challenge it pretty much ended with beef on the forum and that was the nut worst event for me this years, i think it is smart to retreat for a while if i want to try this.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 pmI won't post or check the forum tho because i don't want to see certain people's posts or even be reminded of their existence as it might frustrate me and be a hindrance.
The mind (citta) could try Dependent Cessation, namely, ending the ignorance originated views of "self" ("upadana"), "self-identity-existence" ("bhava") and "beings"/"people"/"satta" ("jati"). Good luck!!! :)
The craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving to be, craving [for things] not to be: This, friend Visakha, is the origination of self-identification described by the Blessed One.

Precisely this noble eightfold path — right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration: This, friend Visakha, is the way of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification described by the Blessed One.

MN 44
Why now do you assume 'a being'?
Mara, have you grasped a view?
This is a heap of sheer constructions:
Here no being is found.

Just as, with an assemblage of parts,
The word 'chariot' is used,
So, when the aggregates are present,
There's the convention 'a being.'

SN 5.10
:heart:
User1249x wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 pmHave a nice summer ya'll.
Thanks friend but its winter for Retro, MikeNZ, James, Manas, Kim0'H, DooDoo and others. Its really cold in NZ.
User1249x wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 pmI will log hours at a meditation website and post stats later.
This website is for posting personalized (clung to) mental experiences when sitting cross-legged. Good luck. :)
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

well it didn't work out as i thought and i saw that i had a lot of leaks in my training that i needed to adress so i might as well post;
Parabhava Sutta: Discourse on Downfall
translated from the Pali by
Piyadassi Thera
© 1999
Alternate translation: Narada

Thus have I heard:

On one occasion the Blessed One was living near Savatthi, at Jetavana, at Anathapindika's monastery. Now when the night was far advanced, a certain deity, whose surpassing radiance illuminated the whole of Jetavana, came to the presence of the Blessed One, respectfully saluted him, and stood beside him. Standing thus he addressed the Blessed One in verse:

[The Deity:]

1. About the declining man we question thee, Gotama. We have come to ask the Blessed One: What is the cause of his downfall?

[The Buddha:]

2. Easily known is the progressive one, easily known is the declining one. The lover of the Dhamma prospers. The hater of the Dhamma declines.

3. We understand this as explained (by thee); this is the first cause of his downfall. Tell us the second, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

4. The vicious are dear to him. He likes not the virtuous; he approves the teachings of the ill-natured — this is the cause of his downfall.

5. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the second cause of his downfall. Tell us the third, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

6. The man who is fond of sleep and company, inactive and lazy, and manifesting anger —this is the cause of his downfall.

7. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the third cause of his downfall. Tell us the fourth, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

8. Whoever being affluent, does not support his mother and father who are old, and past their prime — this is the cause of his downfall.

9. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the fourth cause of his downfall. Tell us the fifth, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

10. Whoever by falsehood deceives either a brahmana, or a samana (a holy man), or any other mendicant — this is the cause of his downfall.

11. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the fifth cause of his downfall. Tell us the six, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

12. The person who is possessed of much wealth, who has gold, and who has an abundance of food, but enjoys his delicacies all by himself — this is the cause of his downfall.

13. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the sixth cause of his downfall. Tell us the seventh, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

14. The man who, proud of his birth, of his wealth, and of his clan, despises his relations — this is the cause of his downfall.

15. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the seventh cause of his downfall. Tell us the eighth, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

16. The man who is addicted to women (given to a life of debauchery), is a drunkard, a gambler, and a squanderer of his earnings — this is the cause of his downfall.

17. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the eighth cause of his downfall. Tell us the ninth, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

18. Not satisfied with one's own wives,[2] he is seen among the whores and the wives of others — this is the cause of his downfall.

19. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the ninth cause of his downfall. Tell us the tenth, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

20. A person past his youth takes as wife, a girl in her teens, and sleeps not being jealous of her[3] — this is the cause of his downfall.

21. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the tenth cause of his downfall. Tell us the eleventh, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

22. He who places in authority a woman given to drink and squandering, or a man of similar nature — this is the cause of his downfall.

23. We understand this as explained by thee; this is the eleventh cause of his downfall. Tell us the twelfth, O Blessed One. What is the cause of his downfall?

24. He who having but little possessions but great ambition (greed), is of warrior birth and aspires selfishly to (an unattainable) sovereignty — this is the cause of his downfall.

25. Fully realizing these (twelve) causes of downfall in the world, the sage, endowed with ariyan insight, shares a realm of security (Nibbana).
79. Falling Away

This was said by the Lord…

“Three things, bhikkhus, lead to the falling away of a learner bhikkhu. What are the three? Here, a learner bhikkhu enjoys activity, is fond of activity, enjoys indulging in activity. He enjoys gossip, is fond of gossip, enjoys indulging in gossip. He enjoys sleep, is fond of sleep, enjoys indulging in sleep. These are the three things that lead to the falling away of a learner bhikkhu.

“Three things, bhikkhus, protect a learner bhikkhu from falling away. What are the three? Here, a learner bhikkhu does not enjoy activity, is not fond of activity, does not enjoy indulging in activity. He does not enjoy gossip, is not fond of gossip, does not enjoy indulging in gossip. He does not enjoy sleep, is not fond of sleep, does not enjoy indulging in sleep. These are the three things that protect a learner bhikkhu from falling away.”

A bhikkhu who enjoys activity,
Restless, fond of gossip and sleep,
Will never be able to attain
Enlightenment which is supreme.

Thus let him restrict his duties,
Give up sloth and restlessness;
Such a bhikkhu can attain
Enlightenment which is supreme.
So basically i've fallen off quite far without realizing it and will have to work on the basics. I will keep trying tho just wanted to let you know that.
l8r
DParcade

Post by DParcade »

It's been incredibly fun reading everybody's goals and challenges throughout this thread. Are we allowed to track very modest goals? I'm coming back to meditation after spending a few years "away". I'm shooting for a very light 10 minutes per day beginning for the next week. I've signed up for a 10 day retreat (my first) in August and am hoping to build up some meditation stamina between now and then. If anybody has any light (5 minute or so) dhamma reading suggestions to follow up the meditation with I'd love to hear it!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DParcade wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 pm It's been incredibly fun reading everybody's goals and challenges throughout this thread. Are we allowed to track very modest goals? I'm coming back to meditation after spending a few years "away". I'm shooting for a very light 10 minutes per day beginning for the next week. I've signed up for a 10 day retreat (my first) in August and am hoping to build up some meditation stamina between now and then. If anybody has any light (5 minute or so) dhamma reading suggestions to follow up the meditation with I'd love to hear it!
that is nice,
you could read the Gathas or the stories and the verses of Dhammapada