Please help me learn about how walking meditation is taught across tradition in Buddhism.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Please help me learn about how walking meditation is taught across tradition in Buddhism.

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

Friends,

Those of you who have read my posts for the past few years know I am big on walking meditation, it essentially changed my practice, and my life. I’m interested in learning all I can regarding how(and if) walking meditation is taught across tradition. So regardless of what tradition/sect you hail from, if you do walking meditation I’d love to find out more about that. Eventually if specific teachers/tradition names are mentioned I’d like to speak to them directly about the methods taught.

So in the post below if you’d be so kind to answer some of these basic questions it would be appreciated. Please be as specific as you feel appropriate.

Buddhist Tradition/Sect :

Sub-tradition/country/ sect(if any) :

Specific to teacher? please name :

Goal of walking meditation as taught :

Focus during walking meditation(feet/breath, etc, ) :

Speed (very slowly, normal walking pace, etc) :

Recommended Path Length :

In relation to other postures (i/e is it used as an equal partner to other postures and a serious practice or just a way of stretching for when your feet fall asleep etc) :

Any relevant websites/books/youtube videos you can give to me that explains the process or anything you’d like to add that I may of missed:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
Thisperson

Re: Please help me learn about how walking meditation is taught across tradition in Buddhism.

Post by Thisperson »

You may find this thread by Ven. Gavesako helpful.

Walking meditation (cankama) in Thai forest tradition
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=25630

:anjali:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Please help me learn about how walking meditation is taught across tradition in Buddhism.

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In the Burmese Mahāsi Satipaṭṭāna Vipassanā tradition, walking is done extremely slowly with attention focused on the movements of the feet. The Video by Chanmyay Sayādaw on my web site shows my friend from Malaysia demonstrating the walking practice. Chanmyay Sayādaw used to say, “The slower you walk, the quicker you will get to nibbāna.”

Why is that? Because slow, mindful walking leads to deep concentration. The normal period of practice is 1 hour walking, alternated with 1 hour sitting, but there is no limit to that. If your concentration is good enough, you can walk six hour and sit six hours like Sister Daw Hla Myint (a disciple of Mahāsi Sayādaw and U Paṇḍita).

About 20 feet is enough if you walk slowly, while 60 feet is long enough if you have that much space.

The Benefits of Walking MeditationWalking Meditation (instructions by Sayādaw U Paṇḍita, another senior disciple of the Mahāsi Sayādaw.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I would like to unearth this topic, as I was wondering myself about the variety of ways in which walking meditation is taught and practiced.

If additional responses could be provided to Ven. Jayasara's questions, they would be most welcome.

Thanks.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Buddhist Tradition/Sect : Buddha

Sub-tradition/country/ sect(if any) : Magadha & Kosala

Specific to teacher? please name : Buddha

Goal of walking meditation as taught : mind free from craving-clinging-thinking (vossagga); 'empty mind' (sunnata)

Focus during walking meditation(feet/breath, etc, ) : mind; abandonment (vossagga)

Speed (very slowly, normal walking pace, etc) : whatever naturally occurs; including non-walking/standing

Recommended Path Length : up 25 metres
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Sect: In Japanese Rinzai and Soto Zen walking meditation (Kinhin) between periods of sitting meditation is performed in file. Hands are typically clasped or in a two-handed fist, with the left hand over right, above the abdomen and just below the chest. In Chinese and Korean Zen hands may be swinging at the side.

Speed: Paces vary from slow to a near run. After a long retreat in at least one Japanese Rinzai temple the monks run up the near by mountain (helps the legs). There is also an exercise during long retreats in China and Korea where the monks run at each other, avoiding collision at the last moment, like a game of “chicken.” It is allegedly wonderful for waking up!

Path Length: Varies

Focus: The “goal” and what is focused on depends on the method of the individual student and the local tradition. Essentially, it is the continuation of the mind of seated meditation.

“Walk Like a Mountain: The Handbook of Buddhist Walking Practice” by Innen Ray Parchelo, a Tendai priest, has quite a bit of information about walking in various traditions. It is available on Amazon (as well as at all the usual suspects) and he also has a blog on contemplative walking at http://walklikeamountain.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Caodemarte on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Hi Bhikkhu Jayasara. You may remember me as Nagasamala :)

Buddhist Tradition/sect : Thai Forest Tradition

Sub-tradition/country/ sect(if any) : Thailand/USA

Specific to teacher? please name : Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Goal of walking meditation as taught : Full Body Awareness

Focus during walking meditation(feet/breath, etc, ) : Breath at Chest/Abdomen

Speed (very slowly, normal walking pace, etc) : Normal Pace

Recommended Path Length : 25 Feet or Whatever is Available

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB