Walking meditation and treadmills

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
dagon

Walking meditation and treadmills

Post by dagon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:15 am

Hi All

I am seeking your ideas and the benefit of any experience that you may have.

I find myself in the position where I have time on my hands that I need to use for rehabilitation following an injury. Obviously integrating my practice with daily activates will benefit my development as well as provide additional motivation to exercise. I think if I can get this to work I will be able to extend by daily meditation by 4 to 8 hours a day for the next 3 months. Using a treadmill will allow me to extend walking to all hours and all types of weather thus maximising the opportunities presented by my karma.

Because mediation is already allowing me to address the pain/ suffering effects of the injuries I am hopeful that I will be able to totally eliminate the need for heavy pain meds.

Has anyone had experience in trying to use treadmills for walking meditation .... advice would be appreciated.

metta
dagon

SarathW

Re: Walking meditation and treadmills

Post by SarathW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:35 am

Walking meditation is practiced in a very slow motion.
So tread mill may not be the ideal.
Perhaps you can practice mindfulness meditation.

Walking meditation vs brick laying

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ick+laying" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:50 am

Sounds like a good plan. Many do walk very slowly when doing walking meditation, and I do personally find that I need to get below a certain speed to be able to really concentrate on the motion. However, it's not a requirement to walk slowly, so but I don't think it should be a serious barrier, and it partly depends on exactly what sensations you are paying attention to.

Just be careful that in normal walking meditation one goes back and forth. This gives a chance to check the mindfulness at each turn. With continuous walking it's easier to daydream...

:anjali:
Mike

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:33 am

Do not try to walk back in the treadmill.
I injured myself by trying to do that.
I wanted to find out how MJ did walking back (moon walking).
:embarassed:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

dagon

Post by dagon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:57 am

mikenz66 wrote:Sounds like a good plan. Many do walk very slowly when doing walking meditation, and I do personally find that I need to get below a certain speed to be able to really concentrate on the motion. However, it's not a requirement to walk slowly, so but I don't think it should be a serious barrier, and it partly depends on exactly what sensations you are paying attention to.

Just be careful that in normal walking meditation one goes back and forth. This gives a chance to check the mindfulness at each turn. With continuous walking it's easier to daydream...

:anjali:
Mike
Hi Mike

It was the lack of turns that had me thinking .... I am going to need to develop strategies,

I realise that it is not the ideal situation but if I wait for the ideal situation I could wait/waste many lives.

It is good quality and I can crank the speed low so that aspect was not concerning me as much.

Do have any suggestions as to what sensations may be the most useful if I can not get the speed as low as I want, and given the lack of built in checks?

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:47 am

dagon wrote:Has anyone had experience in trying to use treadmills for walking meditation .... advice would be appreciated.
Can you programme it to alter the speed at regular intervals?
Buddha save me from new-agers!

dagon

Post by dagon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:13 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
dagon wrote:Has anyone had experience in trying to use treadmills for walking meditation .... advice would be appreciated.
Can you programme it to alter the speed at regular intervals?
BINGO, yes

thanks a lot :woohoo:

metta
dagon

Foster311

Post by Foster311 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:56 pm

I do it every morning. I see people say treadmills are to fast and walking meditations should be slow. But the level of bliss and joy I've found by letting myself go. Oh boy :)
To me its more about circular breathing and walking on a treadmill allows you to focus on breathing and not where you are walking. While walking imagine your breath covering the surface of a round object and as you breath it rotates in the direction of your breathing projects it.

form

Post by form » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:57 am

Walk and walk, experience the whole body as you r aware of the change in body posture.....

Comment: do that on an automated machine, it is very dangerous.

ModestaSerrano

Post by ModestaSerrano » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 am

I also just started to meditate on the treadmill, and my thoughts are around my body, balance, and shape is not difficult. It's hard to stay relaxed and experience my body in depth to overcome the feeling of boredom.

2600htz

Post by 2600htz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:30 am

Hello:

You can meditate anywhere, BUT unlike a forest or some natural place, a treadmill can get tedious, making your mind turn into dislike more easily.

Regards.