Can experienced meditators help ?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
P0sey

Can experienced meditators help ?

Post by P0sey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:47 pm

I am 22 years old , I found out about Buddhism about 5 months ago . I started with a book and I dont know why but everything was clicking with me and now I have a full library . I am definitely not an advanced practitioner as u cantell ! But I have been having 5 major experiences since I started meditating and I really need some help to understand what happened .

4 of them have been the same : it happens randomly , it happens after 30 mins of meditation , it dosent matter if its concentration , mindfulness or metta it arises randomly( it happened 1 time in metta out of nowhere , 2 times in mindfulness breathing , and 1 time in concentration on the nostrils ) , the experience starts with a feeling of floating , lime all of the sudden I feel like I am floating , my weight dissappear , then there is this cool breeze like feeling trough my whole body , then everything starts to disolve , it feels like shampagne bubbles , and I feel like I am expanding and suddenly like an explosion 2 things happen at once I feel like I unite with the whole universe and I feel absolutely FREE , EMPTY , like there is nothing there , no body sensations no nothing , completely open and free and with no boundaries . This has happen 4 times , only the first time it happen like I described and It stood like that for a moment and then I started to regain the shampagne bubles feeling coming back and I was out of it , then 2 more times it happened and I somehow expanded but the feeling remained too and I could track the feelings and the thoughts and I look at them directly and they all looked like they came from nowhere , and especially thoughts they looked so strange like wobbly , and they were empty of meaning , it almost felt like it was a single thought changing , vibrating , and each ti e it appeared it was the same thought but with a different form , and based on the form I gave it meaning ..something like that . And 1 more time it happened when again this union with the universe took place only this time I didnt feel this explosion of freeness or emptiness , I felt from my lower stomach this sudden rush of ecstasy rusing till my brain ...incredible power ! And my heart was beating so fast , I quicky jumped from my meditation. Everytime before this experience happens I feel like my heart is gonna jump from my chest , it starts to beat so fast , and sometimes I feel like I am able to induce this experience when I am in bed at night , I just focus inward , I just am aware and sometimes it almost clicks sometimes not.

And the 5th experience it lasted me 6 h , and again it was sudden .it happened 3 weeks I to my meditation While I was going to eat in town , I was thinking about surangama sutra when buddha asked ananda (I think) why dosent a dead man see .(because there iz no counciousness) , and so it somehow made so much sense to me that while walking I lost my weigh , I felt like I was floating in the middle of nowhere , I was not moving even tho my body was moving , I was not hearing nor talking even tho there was sound and there was talking from me , I felt as if I was behind my body , and the body movement was just a manifestation of my intention , but I wasnt the body , nor the intention , I felt like I was nowhere ...its hard to explain...it was nothing there , and the more weirder part ...everyone around me looked like "empty shells" but not in a literal sense , more like" just forms ", like there wasnt anyone there , not a single person to be found , and even more weird : IN THE WAY I WAS MOVING MY BODY IN THE SAME WAY I HAD THE IMPRESSION LIKE I WAS MOVING EVERYONE , to make that more clearer : from the place where my body had the energy and the impulse to move or do any action , from that place everyone was moving , and I was that place , only that there was not a sense of I , it was just nothing in the middle of nowhere ... I hope it makes sense... I went to sleep later that night after a very deep and still meditation , and when I woke up it was gone .

Sorry for mistakes and stuff ...right now I am in a place where I am thinking to quit my job and to become a monk ...but what am I supposed to do after lets say become an arahat ? Does the monastery kick me ? I have this weird feeling like this is too easy and that I have been doing this stuff for long time ago ...also trough concentration I had one time an experience where I was able to remember scenes from when I was a kid that I have forgotten , from I was very small , scenes from my death and scenes from previous life ...but how do I know they are real ?

acinteyyo

Re: Can experienced meditators help ?

Post by acinteyyo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi,
how is your sila going? Would you mind telling me something about that, please?

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

P0sey

Post by P0sey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:29 am

acinteyyo wrote:Hi,

best wishes, acinteyyo
Regarding right speech : I cant lie for some reason and its been like that forever , even if its detrimental to me I still cant lie , I cant talk if I dont have something important to say or something to help someone with , trivial matters dont interest me ...and this got me little friends along my life so I am a solitary person , but I enjoy it , I never made fun of people , I have trouble with swearing I have to force myself and I sound weird (tho before budhism I had a period when I was swearing ..mostly because I made friends with a guy who influenced me in that way ) the thing is I dont have to make an effort for right speech to happen I am naturally like that.
Right livelihood : I am chief of compartment in a police station , I coordinate police agents.
Right action : I am helping everyone I can , I buy food for the needy when I see one asking for it , I gave dhamma books to my only 2 friends and explained them and tried to make their life better because they have some emotional problems , I gave dhamma books to my chief from police and I tried to help him with al, his problems , I try to hint indirectly to the Impermanence of life and the dhamma when I find myself in conv with people that need help , I dont steal , I eat vegan food and I keep the 5 percepts . I dont know what else to say

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:39 am

Your question :what am I supposed to do after lets say become an arahat?

A: Nothing special. Just keep on to your right livelihood.

By the way why you want to become a monk?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:56 am

P0sey wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:Hi,

best wishes, acinteyyo
Regarding right speech : I cant lie for some reason and its been like that forever , even if its detrimental to me I still cant lie , I cant talk if I dont have something important to say or something to help someone with , trivial matters dont interest me ...and this got me little friends along my life so I am a solitary person , but I enjoy it , I never made fun of people , I have trouble with swearing I have to force myself and I sound weird (tho before budhism I had a period when I was swearing ..mostly because I made friends with a guy who influenced me in that way ) the thing is I dont have to make an effort for right speech to happen I am naturally like that.
Right livelihood : I am chief of compartment in a police station , I coordinate police agents.
Right action : I am helping everyone I can , I buy food for the needy when I see one asking for it , I gave dhamma books to my only 2 friends and explained them and tried to make their life better because they have some emotional problems , I gave dhamma books to my chief from police and I tried to help him with al, his problems , I try to hint indirectly to the Impermanence of life and the dhamma when I find myself in conv with people that need help , I dont steal , I eat vegan food and I keep the 5 percepts . I dont know what else to say
Thanks for your reply. I'd say keep up the effort, don't try to see too much in what you've experienced and practice diligently. See how things change over time. The purpose of meditation is to arrive at discernment, so be observant, don't let your mind be overwhelmed by fancy perceptions. Regarding the factors of the eightfold path, what you've mentioned is indeed part of it, but there's a lot more to bring the pathfactors to their culmination. You also might want to take a look at the Maha-satipatthana Sutta: The Great Frames of Reference

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

P0sey

Post by P0sey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:37 am

SarathW wrote:Your question :what am I supposed to do after lets say become an arahat?

A: Nothing special. Just keep on to your right livelihood.

By the way why you want to become a monk?
Because thats the quickest way to enlightenment , the faster I get there the more people I can help , If I cant even help myself how could I help others ? My aim is becoming a bodhisattva , the faster I can understand how my mind works the more people ill be able to help . What better place to observe the mind than the monastic life ?

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:15 am

Great answer!
:anjali:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Zom

Post by Zom » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:58 am

But I have been having 5 major experiences since I started meditating and I really need some help to understand what happened .
They mean nothing. This is just nerve system adjustment.

If you want to practise correctly, you should read a lot first and understand well Dhamma Path theory. Every newbie nowadays tries to start with meditation, and this is a mistake.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:29 am

Hi P0sey
I'd say you would do well to speak to a real world Buddhist meditation teacher of experience. Hopefully they will be able to put your experience into context and give you some guidance.

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:13 am

I really need some help to understand what happened .
It's nothing significant really. You just had some weird meditation experiences. It's very common to experience "weird stuff". It's best to not attach yourself to such experiences and just return to the meditation object. If your attention is focused on "this weird feeling!", that means it's not focused where it should be, AKA on your meditation object. Following weird feelings, is not very different from following weird thoughts. And of course, the whole point of meditation is to stop following all of that stuff.

kirk5a

Post by kirk5a » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:12 pm

P0sey wrote:I feel absolutely FREE , EMPTY , like there is nothing there , no body sensations no nothing
This part is interesting - I'd find a high quality teacher and investigate this further if I were you. And yeah, perhaps becoming a monk is the right thing for you. Something to consider, you're still young and your options are most open at this point.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

P0sey

Post by P0sey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:02 pm

seeker242 wrote:
I really need some help to understand what happened .
It's nothing significant really. You just had some weird meditation experiences. It's very common to experience "weird stuff". It's best to not attach yourself to such experiences and just return to the meditation object. If your attention is focused on "this weird feeling!", that means it's not focused where it should be, AKA on your meditation object. Following weird feelings, is not very different from following weird thoughts. And of course, the whole point of meditation is to stop following all of that stuff.

Its kinda hard to stick with the meditation object when its nowhere to be found hehe but thats fine thanks for the advice , its what I am trying to do most of the time , its hard especially the attachment for the jhanas ! The weird feeling is becoming weird looking at it from now , but at the time it was just a feeling .

santa100

Post by santa100 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Beside practicing meditation, you might also try to deepen your understanding of the Buddha's teaching in the Pali Canon. "http://www.accesstoinsight.org" and "https://suttacentral.net" are 2 valuable resources. Also try to get Ven. Bodhi's "In the Buddha's Words" and Ven. Gunaratana's "Mindfulness in Plain English" if you haven't had them. They'll provide great insight into both your practice and your understanding of the Path..

P0sey

Post by P0sey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks everyone for the answers , I guess ill just stick with doing metta for a while and keep studying the sutras till i find a teacher or ordain.

The thing is that this phenomenon occurs when im not even thinking that it could ever occur again ...im usually like "ok time for some metta and then ill drink some tea and listen to Dalai Lama" and then while doing metta or focusing on the breath , all the sudden I unite with the universe ...I cant just ignore that and keep focusing on my object of meditation ...because the object is nowhere to be found ! I am suspecting this to be glimpses of sunyata but as long as I still have a very subtle feeling of "me" im not beliving it , as far as I know sunyata makes the illusion of ego to vanish . So yeah if it happens there is nothing I can do but be one with it ! Anyway it lasts very little so its not a problem . The problem is that it tends to become an object of my attachment for a few days until I snap out of it and I resume my normal meditation.

P0sey

Post by P0sey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:27 pm

santa100 wrote:Beside practicing meditation, you might also try to deepen your understanding of the Buddha's teaching in the Pali Canon. "http://www.accesstoinsight.org" and "https://suttacentral.net" are 2 valuable resources. Also try to get Ven. Bodhi's "In the Buddha's Words" and Ven. Gunaratana's "Mindfulness in Plain English" if you haven't had them. They'll provide great insight into both your practice and your understanding of the Path..

I have been reading alot , I have all the sutras in a pdf , I have lots of books from all the great masters and read a few , I listen everyday dharma talks , my whole free time is dedicated to this. The problem is I live in Romania , and there are no teachers here that teach therevada , or I think is one but he is in the oposite end of the country so its hard to reach there ...I dont wanna go to yoga teachers ...or do you guys think I should go and ask them if they teach vipassna ? I do t know.... but I have a 2 year loan that I have to pay , after im done ill go ordain at Wat Pah Nanachat's the International Forest Monastery . Just have to save some cash so if I get ill and stuff to have money to pay for my medical care or for the medical care of my friends in there .