The Lotus - Getting there.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Yeshe

Re: Lotus position

Post by Yeshe »

clw_uk wrote:Ive being trying to get into this position but find it impossible, has anyone else had this trouble?

Anyone know any good stretching tips?
I advised my kids to keep stretching into adult life and maintain what they had. Too may of us don't.
First tip - learn as a child and don't lose it.

In the same way, the Indians and Japanese may be used to 'lotus' or 'seiza' postures from childhood and have no problem adopting them.

For a westerner unused to sitting on the floor, to try to adopt an alien and painful position is daft. The postures mentioned were 'natural' ways of sitting in a particular culture. Our 'natural' way of sitting usually involves a chair and as far as I know, a straight back is perfectly possible whilst sitting that way.

OK, so I don't think 'lotus' postures are essential for good meditation or enlightenment. However, I have spent many hundreds of painful hours in seiza so I am not really in a position to say anything is 'wrong' - but is it necessary?

I have taught my kids to sit on the floor and I hope that, unlike me, they will not lose that natural ability.

In case anyone wonders about the wisdom of learning how to sit on the floor, there is now evidence* that westerners suffer far more falls than those used to sitting on the floor, so perhaps we should all throw out the chairs and get 'grounded'. ;)

For those who want to learn sitting in lotus or seiza but have no experience of it, I suggest Yoga and Japanese martial arts respectively. I can sit in seiza for hours, but friends in India laugh at my pathetic attempts to make my hips and knees to contort.

I also observe a difference between men and women, the latter seeming far more able to rotate hip joints outwards and adopt a full lotus. My 'party trick' is the opposite, inward rotation. Is that generally true about the gender differences, I wonder?

* I read the evidence, but can't recall the source, which was stats relating to the elderly.
green

Re: Lotus position

Post by green »

In Buddhism, there's no requirement of the lotus position. Sitting meditation is just one kind, there's also walking meditation, lying down meditation and meditation meditation all the time meditation...which is right effort :smile:
adamposey

The Lotus - Getting there.

Post by adamposey »

This may be the wrong forum for this discussion, but I read that having a firm posture is absolutely important for proper meditation (so that the mind can be free of concerns about balance, etc.,) and that the half lotus and full lotus postures are inherently the best suited because they provide those three points of contact to leave you perfectly firm.

So, here's my question then, is there perhaps an exercise routine, a series of stretches, etc., that can (over time) help a person to reach the full lotus? My understanding is that the full lotus is primarily achieved by opening the hips to a greater range of movement. So, if one goal is to achieve the full lotus over time what's a reasonable plan for getting there?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: The Lotus - Getting there.

Post by DNS »

http://www.ashtanganeworleans.com/Old%2 ... usGrow.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if the exercises shown really work, but have heard of this website with the instructions. I did martial arts (many years ago) and one of the exercises was to slowly spread the legs out while standing, attempting to get as close to the ground as possible with your right leg off to the right and straight and the left leg off to the left and straight.

But on another note, the posture is not that important. Ananda attained enlightenment as he went to lie down for sleep. Just before his head hit the pillow, he attained the final and perfect enlightenment. I have been to many temples and meditation centers over the years and I rarely see people sitting in full lotus.
TiltedSquare

Lotus Posture

Post by TiltedSquare »

I've always meditated in half-lotus position, and have just recently tried getting in full lotus (not for meditation...yet). I'm having a little trouble though. There is pain from my upper ankle bone digging into the bottom leg. Also, there is a constant feeling that my legs are going to come unlocked –– As if the bottom leg is slipping downward. I'm guessing the latter has to due with flexibility, or lack there of.

So, my question is, what is a solution to the ankle problem, and what are some good ways to stretch and prepare myself for full lotus posture? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by DNS on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moderator note: merged with two other threads on lotus positions
“We are here to awaken from our illusion of separateness.”
― Thich Nhat Hanh

Graphic Design Studio: http://tiltedsquare.com
manas

Re: Getting Into Lotus Posture

Post by manas »

TiltedSquare wrote:I've always meditated in half-lotus position, and have just recently tried getting in full lotus (not for meditation...yet). I'm having a little trouble though. There is pain from my upper ankle bone digging into the bottom leg. Also, there is a constant feeling that my legs are going to come unlocked –– As if the bottom leg is slipping downward. I'm guessing the latter has to due with flexibility, or lack there of.

So, my question is, what is a solution to the ankle problem, and what are some good ways to stretch and prepare myself for full lotus posture? Thanks in advance.
Hi TiltedSquare
If your body is still young (and/or in reasonable condition), you could enrol in a hatha-yoga class with a reputable intructor. The hatha-yoga postures are designed to make the body fit for sitting long periods in meditation without discomfort. (I'm turning 43 and have a left knee that clicks in an out of joint...I'm sticking with half-lotus for the duration of this lifetime!)

:namaste:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
mikenz66

Re: The Lotus - Getting there.

Post by mikenz66 »

Were none of the above useful? Such as: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ead#p11228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike