Ashin Tejaniya and Thanissaro Bhikkhu

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Dhamma_Bum

Ashin Tejaniya and Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Post by Dhamma_Bum »

Hi

I've been reading through "Dhamma Everywhere " by Tejaniya. I am becoming a big fan. I am also a fan of Thanissaro. They seem to be coming from the same place. I only have a shallow understanding of them both though, and was wandering if I'm close or way off base here.

Metta
Goofaholix

Re: Ashin Tejaniya and Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Post by Goofaholix »

Dhamma_Bum wrote: I've been reading through "Dhamma Everywhere " by Tejaniya. I am becoming a big fan. I am also a fan of Thanissaro. They seem to be coming from the same place. I only have a shallow understanding of them both though, and was wandering if I'm close or way off base here.
On would hope that most if not all teachers who have practiced this path to some depth were coming from the same place, the differences should be just matters of emphasis or methods.

I find these two teachers quite compatible.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

I agree their teachings are compatible. However, learning from both requires one to be aware that Ven TB uses sutta langauge while SUT uses Theravada commentarial language. E.g. they use "jhana" to mean different things.
yann

Post by yann »

master of UTejaniya was SheOOMin. master of SOM was Mahasi Sayadaw.
by this way, we can understand that UTejaniya works directly at the level of Vipassana, same SOM and Mahasi.
specifically, UTejaniya is "the" actual best master of Cittanupassana, the third basis of Vipassana. He works directly with all differents kinds of citta loods, and its very interesting for everybody because this is the main cause of dukkha for everybody nowadays.
master of Thanissaro Bhikkhu was Ajaan Lee, master of Ajaan Lee was Ajaan Moon.
by this way, we can understand that TB works initially at the level of Samatha and switch to Vipassana when it needed by the situation. This is the normal process of teachings of the Buddha. However, Thai Forest Tradition ( Ajaan Moon) is well known to practice Vipassana more with the 2 first basis. Kayanupassana and Vedananupassana, more than Cittanupassana.
Its why Anapanasati is the way to go through the 4 frames of reference of Vipassana in Forest Tradition.
Mahasi dont work at all with Anapanasati, they say that no need take care about Breath in and out, but just be aware of the mind, and moods.

But when we practice kayanupassana, vedananupassana, cittanupassana and dhammanupassana.. the 2 ways of TB and SUT are very complementary and combinable for the practice of Satipatthana in accordance of the teachings of the Buddha. The root is the same. Some yogi will be at ease with looking at the citta. Some others will be at ease with contemplation of breathing, at the stage of Samatha or when observing anicca ( Vipassana) while breathing in.. and breathing out. For me, am used to practice kaya and vedana more with Forest Tradition ( TB), and citta more with SUT whose langage is very smooth and approchable for release of tension of life everyday.