Body scanning during meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am
Contact:

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by Kumara » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:58 am

ancientbuddhism wrote:
Ryan95227 wrote:...where can i find more info on this satipathana? I'm still fairly new to this whole buddhism.
Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization, by Anālayo

Mindfulness in Early Buddhism, by Tse-fu Kuan

Mindfulness of Breathing and Calm Insight Development

Ānāpānasati Sutta

Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta
Whoa.... Have mercy on him....
Profile: tiny.cc/kumara
The purpose of Dhamma learning is to gain freedom, not accumulate knowledge.

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am
Contact:

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by Kumara » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:02 am

Ryan95227 wrote:normally as in just live in this world without unnecessarily thinking about things that are artificial. I just want to live and enjoy the experience at all time wihtout my mind somehow being too destructive
I'd suggest you find a competent teacher. This forum would not suffice.
Profile: tiny.cc/kumara
The purpose of Dhamma learning is to gain freedom, not accumulate knowledge.

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6524
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by Mkoll » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:24 am

Kumara wrote:
ancientbuddhism wrote:
Ryan95227 wrote:...where can i find more info on this satipathana? I'm still fairly new to this whole buddhism.
Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization, by Anālayo

Mindfulness in Early Buddhism, by Tse-fu Kuan

Mindfulness of Breathing and Calm Insight Development

Ānāpānasati Sutta

Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta
Whoa.... Have mercy on him....
LOL!
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Ryan95227
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:29 am

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by Ryan95227 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:36 am

Kumara wrote:
Ryan95227 wrote:normally as in just live in this world without unnecessarily thinking about things that are artificial. I just want to live and enjoy the experience at all time wihtout my mind somehow being too destructive
I'd suggest you find a competent teacher. This forum would not suffice.
How'd i go about finding that? People have told me to google. But what kind of teachers who teach purely on eliminating suffering through original buddha's teaching?

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 17179
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by mikenz66 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:36 am

Kumara wrote:
Ryan95227 wrote:normally as in just live in this world without unnecessarily thinking about things that are artificial. I just want to live and enjoy the experience at all time wihtout my mind somehow being too destructive
I'd suggest you find a competent teacher. This forum would not suffice.
Yes, that's certainly the best approach. Failing that a good introductory instruction manual in the satipatthana area, such as Mindfulness in Plain English or The Hearth of Buddhist Meditation.
See this thread: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=341#p3258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for details and on-line options.

A good general introduction to Theravada Buddhism, such as In the Buddha's Words would also be helpful.

:anjali:
Mike

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 17179
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by mikenz66 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:42 am

Ryan95227 wrote: How'd i go about finding that? People have told me to google. But what kind of teachers who teach purely on eliminating suffering through original buddha's teaching?

Seek out some live people and see what fits you. In my experience, there are many living teachers out there, lay and monastic, unknown or famous, who will help you progress much faster than any book.

:anjali:
Mike

Ryan95227
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:29 am

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by Ryan95227 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:08 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Ryan95227 wrote: How'd i go about finding that? People have told me to google. But what kind of teachers who teach purely on eliminating suffering through original buddha's teaching?

Seek out some live people and see what fits you. In my experience, there are many living teachers out there, lay and monastic, unknown or famous, who will help you progress much faster than any book.

:anjali:
Mike

thanks a lot for that thread and your advice.

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am
Contact:

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by Kumara » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:36 am

Ryan95227 wrote:
Kumara wrote:
Ryan95227 wrote:normally as in just live in this world without unnecessarily thinking about things that are artificial. I just want to live and enjoy the experience at all time wihtout my mind somehow being too destructive
I'd suggest you find a competent teacher. This forum would not suffice.
How'd i go about finding that? People have told me to google. But what kind of teachers who teach purely on eliminating suffering through original buddha's teaching?
First of all I must say I'm not sure how to help you here. Mmm... Where do you live?

Btw, we'll have to leave out the "original" bit, because that itself is an endless point of contention. Ultimately, what you want is eliminating suffering, permanently, right?
Profile: tiny.cc/kumara
The purpose of Dhamma learning is to gain freedom, not accumulate knowledge.

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am
Contact:

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by Kumara » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:41 am

mikenz66 wrote:A good general introduction to Theravada Buddhism, such as In the Buddha's Words would also be helpful.
Seconded.
Profile: tiny.cc/kumara
The purpose of Dhamma learning is to gain freedom, not accumulate knowledge.

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6524
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by Mkoll » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:45 am

Kumara wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:A good general introduction to Theravada Buddhism, such as In the Buddha's Words would also be helpful.
Seconded.
Tertiary. Should help give you a good idea of what's going on with Buddhist teachings, Ryan.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
Kumara
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 am
Contact:

Re: Body scanning during meditation

Post by Kumara » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:55 am

Ryan95227 wrote:How'd i go about finding that? People have told me to google. But what kind of teachers who teach purely on eliminating suffering through original buddha's teaching?
The kind of teacher who's also working in the same direction and has had some success. I woudn't insist on "purely" though. Part of the Dhamma teaching is for happy worldly living. Both have their own place.

You'd do well in seeking out monks of the forest traditions. I've pm'd you 2 places based on where you live.
Profile: tiny.cc/kumara
The purpose of Dhamma learning is to gain freedom, not accumulate knowledge.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 129 guests