Rising body temperature whilst meditating

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
wingsofwax

Rising body temperature whilst meditating

Post by wingsofwax »

I follow the standard meditation practice as described by Yuttadhammo in his youtube videos.

When I meditate, I get a drastic rise in body temperature after some time. It's not a problem, but it gets to the point where sweat drips from my forehead. It is in no way unpleasant and does not interfere with the meditation itself.

But nevertheless, I feel that I should ask someone more experienced if this means anything. Can anyone help?
daverupa

Re: Rising body temperature whilst meditating

Post by daverupa »

It can happen; there's "hobbyist tummo" as a physiological process, else you can try to go play with qi or kundalini.

Or it's just the body being a body; rotten ol' thing, anyway...

:smile:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Its possible it could even be a medical problem connected with hormone levels.
manas

Post by manas »

wingsofwax wrote:I follow the standard meditation practice as described by Yuttadhammo in his youtube videos.

When I meditate, I get a drastic rise in body temperature after some time. It's not a problem, but it gets to the point where sweat drips from my forehead. It is in no way unpleasant and does not interfere with the meditation itself.

But nevertheless, I feel that I should ask someone more experienced if this means anything. Can anyone help?
I once had a few sessions where, in a reasonably good state of mindful calm, I noticed sweat drip from my armpits. This was always gently surprising to notice, as I don't recall the heating in the room as being the cause...it seemed to happen when the body was very still and calm, but the mind was fairly concentrated, and only happened if I was putting in a fair bit of effort, not if I was being a slacko. :tongue:

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's just a by product of effort, even just mental effort. Maybe you need to relax more (and me also, it would seem) and find a way to have wakeful and sharp mindfulness, without it being too much of an effort? That's the only thing I can think of that might help.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
kmath

Post by kmath »

manas wrote: ...it seemed to happen when the body was very still and calm, but the mind was fairly concentrated, and only happened if I was putting in a fair bit of effort, not if I was being a slacko. :tongue:

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's just a by product of effort, even just mental effort. Maybe you need to relax more (and me also, it would seem) and find a way to have wakeful and sharp mindfulness, without it being too much of an effort? That's the only thing I can think of that might help.

:anjali:
My body used to heat up during meditation all the time. And I think manas is right, you might need to slightly reduce the effort, in order to have a more peaceful sit.

:buddha2:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I also had this constantly.
I found if I was averse to it it grew worse. It still happens occasionally, but now I simply note it and return to my practice, which is a mantra-like phrase linked to the in and out breath.
phalanyani

Post by phalanyani »

This can come with concentration and is not abnormal nor dangerous. There is the Tibetan meditation practice called Tummo designed to produce heat. Be happy that you get the results without extra special training.