What Vipassana, Jhana, Bhavana, Walking etc meditations are?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Valujira

What Vipassana, Jhana, Bhavana, Walking etc meditations are?

Post by Valujira »

Hello and good evening :anjali:

I heard a lot the meditation named Vipassana, and also sometimes Bhavana, walking, Jhana, Anapanasati, and I wanted to ask for short explanations of what it is and what are the purposes of these meditations?

When I meditate, I usually meditate half and hour a day with an intention to one hour per-day, I am not chanting mantras or something like that, I'm simply sitting full lotus and listening to my breathe, without interfering to the speed and rate of the breathe, and also if some thoughts are beginning to arise, I am not trying to ignore them, nor attach to them, I'm simply concentrating in them and they vanish and disappear.

Is this meditation is good? I like it, but I would like to know what each of the above-mentioned meditations exactly are, a short explanation for each.

By the way, I read the Bible, Quran, Mahabharta, Tipitaka etc a lot, so I really know the meaning of being kind and good, I mean I am not studying these virtues from meditation, I don't achieve anything from meditation, I guess only remove the anger, hatred, clinging and so on.

With metta

:namaste:
All beings, be happy! :hug:
mikenz66

Re: What Vipassana, Jhana, Bhavana, Walking etc meditations

Post by mikenz66 »

Valujira

Post by Valujira »

Thank you my friend :)
:anjali:
All beings, be happy! :hug:
bodom

Post by bodom »

See this:

Introduction To Insight Meditation
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebmed012.htm

It is excellent.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB