Joseph Goldstein's "Abiding in Mindfulness" series

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Beneath the Wheel

Joseph Goldstein's "Abiding in Mindfulness" series

Post by Beneath the Wheel »

I was browsing amazon recently and came across these offerings from Joseph Goldstein:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159179 ... d_i=507846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have any experience with these audiobooks? Goldstein seems to be well regarded here by many folks so I am considering picking these up.
tiltbillings

Re: Joseph Goldstein's "Abiding in Mindfulness" series

Post by tiltbillings »

Beneath the Wheel wrote:I was browsing amazon recently and came across these offerings from Joseph Goldstein:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159179 ... d_i=507846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have any experience with these audiobooks? Goldstein seems to be well regarded here by many folks so I am considering picking these up.
Look here first:

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has done a long series of talks on the Satipatthana Sutta, which these discs on Amazon seem to be. You can get them for free or give a donation to Dharmaseed for their effort.

Goldstein is an excellent and experienced teacher, both in terms of Dhamma talks and one-to-one as a meditation teacher. The trime spent with them is well worth it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Beneath the Wheel

Post by Beneath the Wheel »

Thanks Tilt, this is enough material to keep me busy for quite a long time. Much appreciated.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Beneath the Wheel wrote:Thanks Tilt, this is enough material to keep me busy for quite a long time. Much appreciated.
You are welcome. If you go to Goldstein's section

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and hit the "Select from ...." button you'll find the 46 talks on the Satipatthana Sutta. Good stuff.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
amtross

Post by amtross »

+ 1 on Joseph Goldstein's Satipatthana Sutta series. I'm only on talk number 11 because I keep going back and listening to them over and over again. Lots of good info. I love his description of Dukha as a bad fitting wheel.
masscool

Post by masscool »

+1 as well, I am on session 21, and it is a magnificent experience. I load this up on my phone and try to spend an hour a day.
Tim_A

Post by Tim_A »

+1 working through this series of lectures thanks to your recommendation Tilt. I was separately recommended Joseph Goldstein's book "Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening" based on these same lectures. The two go complement each other very well. Being able to listen to Joseph Goldstein teach as if one were on a long-term retreat with him is a remarkable opportunity. However the book is great also if one doesn't have that many hours available to listen to the audio. :namaste: