Meditation Types

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
theravada_guy

Meditation Types

Post by theravada_guy »

Greetings all,

Could someone please briefly describe the types of meditation the Buddha taught? I think there are three, but I'm not sure.

How do I know which one is right for me?

Which is one is better to learn without a teacher? Any book suggestions?

Do they all count as right concentration (the eighth step of the Noble Eightfold Path)?
With mettā,

TG
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Meditation Types

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That depends on the context: maybe two as concentration and insight, or forty types of meditation depending on the meditation object used.

Buddhist Meditation and its Forty Subjects (link corrected)

An Introduction to Meditation would be somewhere to start.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Thank you, venerable. :anjali:
With mettā,

TG
David2

Post by David2 »

theravada_guy wrote:I think there are three, but I'm not sure.
Samatha bhavana
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Samatha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vipassana bhavana
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Vipassana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Metta bhavana
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... meditation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
manas

Post by manas »

theravada_guy wrote:Greetings all,

Could someone please briefly describe the types of meditation the Buddha taught? I think there are three, but I'm not sure.

How do I know which one is right for me?

Which is one is better to learn without a teacher? Any book suggestions?

Do they all count as right concentration (the eighth step of the Noble Eightfold Path)?
Hi theravada guy,

with regard to the Noble Eightfold Path I think the eight factors are called 'limbs' rather than 'steps', which makes sense in that we need to (gradually) develop all of them at the same time. (Don't be overwhelmed by what I just said, as they actually seem to come together, in that they all support each other and begin to feel 'natural' over time.) It's good to bear that in mind as we set out on the journey. People sometimes think that the Dhamma is just about meditation, but actually it's about living every moment of our lives in accordance with Dhamma - to whatever humble extent we are able - and this brings a peace that the world cannot give.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Thank you all, for your replies! I will do some more research.
With mettā,

TG