being mindful

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Post Reply
narvillives
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 am

being mindful

Post by narvillives »

Hope this is the right place while not a question specifically about meditation per se, i did not know if it belonged in any of the other forums, but here goes. I having read about Buddhism quite a bit and started a meditation practice do seem to be more focused and mindful. At work i am generally alone washing dishes for 14+ hours a week, a co-worker pointed out this would be a good time to use for cultivating mindfulness. My question would be how? Is there an appropriate system to use to practice mindfulness more fully while doing simple repetitive tasks, any direct advice or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 17740
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: being mindful

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome narvillives,

Here are some links on integrating meditation into daily life:

http://buddhanet.net/imol/wrkshp.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Specific page: http://buddhanet.net/xmed8.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Specific Chapter: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As pointed out in those links, it's not an easy thing to start with. It's probably better to get started with sitting/walking under controlled circumstances first.

However, washing dishes is a fairly repetitive activity, with few distractions, and if you are doing it alone it should not be too hard to do it mindfully.

:anjali:
Mike

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 22904
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: being mindful

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

See also:

MN 10: Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:meditate:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)

User avatar
kirk5a
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: being mindful

Post by kirk5a »

Don't confuse yourself with a "system." When washing the dishes, just wash the dishes.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

santa100
Posts: 4197
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: being mindful

Post by santa100 »

If distracting thoughts arise during work, a point of focus would help. Different schools use different points of focus. A good one is mindfulness of in-and-out breaths by focusing on your nostrils, feeling the breaths coming in and out. Another good one from the PureLand school is to keep reciting the phrase "Namo Amitabha". Give these a try and pick the one that works for you. Good luck..

David2
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Germany

Re: being mindful

Post by David2 »

santa100 wrote:If distracting thoughts arise during work, a point of focus would help. Different schools use different points of focus. A good one is mindfulness of in-and-out breaths by focusing on your nostrils, feeling the breaths coming in and out.
I have the following link in my bookmarks:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whatever tasks you have to do, you can still do them while at the same time keeping track of the breath each and every moment.
:anjali:

chownah
Posts: 8854
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: being mindful

Post by chownah »

narvillives,
I think your co-worker is exactly correct and doing dishes is a perfect time to engage in mindfulness. My opinion is that being mindful is something like a skill that has to be developed....for most people being mindful while sitting is much easier than being mindful while standing and being mindful while standing is easier than being mindful while moving the limbs......so.......work on mindfulness while sitting and this should help you get established in mindfulness while doing dishes.......keep working on mindfulness while washing dishes as even that by itself will give benefit but in my opinion supplementing this with mindfulness while sitting will accelerate the process by a large amount.
chownah

User avatar
DarwidHalim
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Neither Samsara nor Nirvana

Re: being mindful

Post by DarwidHalim »

narvillives wrote:Hope this is the right place while not a question specifically about meditation per se, i did not know if it belonged in any of the other forums, but here goes. I having read about Buddhism quite a bit and started a meditation practice do seem to be more focused and mindful. At work i am generally alone washing dishes for 14+ hours a week, a co-worker pointed out this would be a good time to use for cultivating mindfulness. My question would be how? Is there an appropriate system to use to practice mindfulness more fully while doing simple repetitive tasks, any direct advice or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I think to be mindful we don't need a complicated technique.

Just be mindful.

Simple and straight forward.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

David2
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Germany

Re: being mindful

Post by David2 »

DarwidHalim wrote: I think to be mindful we don't need a complicated technique.

Just be mindful.

Simple and straight forward.
Tell 100 random people to be mindful, and I guess 99 would not know how to do that.
Give them a simple technique, like focusing on the breath, and they all know how to do it.

Nothing wrong imo with following a technique that is simple.

User avatar
DarwidHalim
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Neither Samsara nor Nirvana

Re: being mindful

Post by DarwidHalim »

David2 wrote:
DarwidHalim wrote: I think to be mindful we don't need a complicated technique.

Just be mindful.

Simple and straight forward.
Tell 100 random people to be mindful, and I guess 99 would not know how to do that.
Give them a simple technique, like focusing on the breath, and they all know how to do it.

Nothing wrong imo with following a technique that is simple.
I think that is the difference.

Following the breath is the technique to extend the mindfulness.

But just to be mindful is instantenous. There is no technique for it. Is there? :rolleye:
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

fijiNut
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:11 am

Re: being mindful

Post by fijiNut »

Thich Nhat Hanh gives some solid advice about washing dishes and being mindful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubF7v-MlMM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(starting from 3mins)
"When I was a novice washing dishes for the monk.. I did not have running water, hot water, soap. And I had to wash the dishes for 100 monks, we used coconut fibre and ash. If you know how to breathe and smile, washing dishes can be a wonderful thing.."

1) Follow in breath and out breath
2) Be mindful of your actions
3) Smile

:smile:

Post Reply