Kanni meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Keith

Kanni meditation?

Post by Keith » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Has anyone any experience of this Kanni meditation approach?

I started working through this book (http://ftp.budaedu.org/ebooks/pdf/EN437.pdf) but did not get far before I got so bogged down in terminology. Wondering whether it is worth me pushing further with the book or moving on with something else. I don't have much time daily to devote to meditation, so any approach that requires many consecutive hours of practice isn't an option.

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Kanni meditation?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Keith wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:10 pm
Has anyone any experience of this Kanni meditation approach?

I started working through this book (http://ftp.budaedu.org/ebooks/pdf/EN437.pdf) but did not get far before I got so bogged down in terminology. Wondering whether it is worth me pushing further with the book or moving on with something else. I don't have much time daily to devote to meditation, so any approach that requires many consecutive hours of practice isn't an option.

Thanks!

Recently browsed through a few pages, and pleasantly suprised to find even "foreigners" got immense benefit from this method.

According to what I've heard from many sources [people in person, books, media], this method demands deep concentration, which inturn demands intensive [not necessarily hard] practice.
Keith wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:10 pm
so any approach that requires many consecutive hours of practice isn't an option.
Regarding the topic post, my personal answer would be..... this "method" is, at the moment, not an optimal option.

But, there are many methods, i believe, suitable for practicing Dhamma without necessarily involving mandatory sitting meditation. One such method would be like, do whatever you should while being mindful of [the breath]*** as much as possible. [the breath]*** may be replaced with many suitable kind of meditation objects depending upon which factors are in priority list to develop, for example [qualities of Buddha, metta, 'impermanence'] etc.

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
  • "an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" :D ~ MN22

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Supprised to find, on reading some books on kanni method, that Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw [teacher of Sayadaw U Tejaniya] once said something like "We also have experience in practicing Kanni method. This is a method very beneficial for Buddha Sasana".

Suprised and got a feeling like "jigsaw falling into place" after knowing that Ledi Sayadaw also had experiences in that kind of method [which I think may very likely lead to such techniques as body scanning and the likes in SN Goenka vipassana retreats".

a "lecturer" monk from one Ledi monastary on exposed to kanni method said something like "what is known as kanni technique is Ledi method at last."

🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
  • "an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" :D ~ MN22

Kiranraj.bodhi

Post by Kiranraj.bodhi » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:11 pm

Wow! Dhamma has its ways

I attended a retreat by the same author Venerable Sumangala Sayadaw in Bangalore few months ago

I was looking for this book and found it here so thank you :namaste:

He spoke about his experiences in his meditation like when you see light in Meditation how to focus more and get deeper in meditation and then to be able to control the citta say like first send out 10 meteres in the front with eyes closed and then say 10 meters at the back of the head and then gradually to be able to send citta to see other beings and realms.

He spoke of an incident in his Meditation course one of his students was able to send her citta outside the Monastery walls and saw her mother probably orn as a "peta"and she asked her mother to come inside so that she can partake in the merits that were shared, however her mother told her she cannot come inside as the Monastery was protected by the Guardian Devas so she came out of Meditation and reported it to Ven Sumanagala Sayadaw

So it seems he went in Meditation and saw what this was about and requested the Guardian devas to allow the Meditators mother inside

Another incident he said how he sent his Citta to other realms especially to pay respects to the relics of Buddha that were enshrined in different realms like Pagodas and said how much respect Buddha has in even other realms and i guess as one of the Dhamma friends mentioned earlier that it is important in this Buddha Sasana because you can see for yourself that all of this is "True" and no more just what others say or you hear.

After hsi visits to these other realms he said Buddha's Dhamma is no joke and we have the wonderful opportunity for ourselves to realise!

Thank you so much ...Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu :namaste:

Lots of Metta :)