masturbation what's wrong?

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
retrofuturist

Re: masturbation what's wrong?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Peter,

Yes - an interesting way of looking at it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Peter,

Metta,
The question is: is it a 50lbs back pack?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

tiltbillings wrote:

Metta,
Are you seriously still trying to argue this?
Or is this another joke that I have failed to grasp.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Is not humor a way of making a serious point?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BlackBird wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

Metta,
Are you seriously still trying to argue this?
Or is this another joke that I have failed to grasp.

metta
Jack
To expand on this a bit. We all carry baggage as we move forward. How much "weight" are we going to give to self-pleasuring in the overall scheme of things?

Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

How much "weight" are we going to give to [insert behavior here] in the overall scheme of things?
That question could be used to rationalize any number of behaviors.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Jechbi wrote:
How much "weight" are we going to give to [insert behavior here] in the overall scheme of things?
How is it that we rationalize the perpetuation of that which is not conducive to awakening? This is a very good question. In my opinion the act of rationalizing is often more binding than the acts being rationalized. Masturbation tends to sap one of the will to be caring and outgoing and it reinforces the burning desire to pursue sexual activity as a means of deriving physical pleasure. If we pay attention and see how unhelpful this is, we will not only begin to become disenchanted with this activity but we will also begin to see other more positive and inspiring possibilities on our horizon. There is no need for rationalization. On the other hand I think there is minimal value in abstinence without a consistent and open inquiry into its value. This is because I think the energy which one uses to avoid an activity which they feel compelled to do often negates the energy saved by avoiding it.

Take care all

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Peter wrote: Consider a person in average health intent on training for, running in, and completing his first marathon. He has never run a marathon before, nor run any distance even comparable. He might ask, "What's wrong with carrying a 50 lb backpack while I run the marathon?" One who knows about such things might answer, "Because it will hinder you. It will make you more unlikely to reach your goal. Wise runners do not recommend carrying a 50lb backpack while running a marathon if one doesn't need to."
That's a pretty good analogy. I like sports analogies and that makes some sense. Running with the weight can still get you to the goal (finish line), but will definitely slow you down.

In the same way, many Buddhists refer to the monastic life as the "short path" and the lay life as the "long path." Both will still get you to the other shore, but one might be shorter. As lay people we are carrying around baggage and weights. How much each weight is? That would depend on the type of activity and the intention.

Instead of a weight, we could count some things as a complete block or brick wall, stopping you in your tracks, such as killing, stealing, etc. But sexual behavior which is not misconduct, could be seen as the extra weights in this analogy, not a brick wall.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

TheDhamma wrote: That's a pretty good analogy. I like sports analogies and that makes some sense. Running with the weight can still get you to the goal (finish line), but will definitely slow you down.

In the same way, many Buddhists refer to the monastic life as the "short path" and the lay life as the "long path." Both will still get you to the other shore, but one might be shorter. As lay people we are carrying around baggage and weights. How much each weight is? That would depend on the type of activity and the intention.

Instead of a weight, we could count some things as a complete block or brick wall, stopping you in your tracks, such as killing, stealing, etc. But sexual behavior which is not misconduct, could be seen as the extra weights in this analogy, not a brick wall.
This sums up my feelings well Tilt.
Generally it's not misconduct, it's not something anyone should feel guilty about doing. But whether masturbation weighs in at 50lbs or 5lbs, it stills weighs one down. It is something to be abandoned, in the end.

:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jechbi wrote:
No less than the original metaphor, which is obviously stacked in favor of a particular point of view. Why 50 lbs in the back pack? Why not 3.75 lbs? Or 84.13 lbs? Is not the metaphorical weight that the person carries in his or her metaphorical backpack going to depend upon any number of factors?

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

gabrielbranbury wrote:
Jechbi wrote:
Masturbation tends to sap one of the will to be caring and outgoing and it reinforces the burning desire to pursue sexual activity as a means of deriving physical pleasure.
A person who indulges in self-pleasuring cannot be compassionate or out going? Says who? Based upon what? That is the sort of sex negative stuff that has no basis in reality that tends to come out of Christian point of view that takes a very narrow view of sex.
If we pay attention and see how unhelpful this is, we will not only begin to become disenchanted with this activity but we will also begin to see other more positive and inspiring possibilities on our horizon.
It is always unhelpful? In all cases for all people all the time? Is sex unhelpful? In all cases all the time? Is that why we move beyond sex? It is "unhelpful?" That looks to be a rationialization.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BB wrote:This sums up my feelings well Tilt.
Generally it's not misconduct, it's not something anyone should feel guilty about doing. But whether masturbation weighs in at 50lbs or 5lbs, it stills weighs one down. It is something to be abandoned, in the end.
But there is a value judgement in assigning it a weight of 50 lbs vs 5 lbs. If it is not misconduct generally, but if we assign a large number to it - looks like a basis for guilt. What basis do we assign a number?

A lot of things get "abandoned, in the end." How and why is important. One can give up sex for whatever rationalization as a lay person or a monastic but still be obsessed - consciously or unconsciously - with sex and in either case the results could be far worse than an occasional bit of self pleasuring.

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

tiltbillings wrote: A lot of things get "abandoned, in the end." How and why is important. One can give up sex for whatever rationalization as a lay person or a monastic, but still be obsessed - consciously or unconsciously - with sex and in either case the results could be far worse than an occasional bit of self pleasuring.
Yeah, I agree with this.

As far assigning a weight, I think it would be hard to quantify a qualitative factor. For some masturbation will be more of a drag than for others, dependent upon a number of factors - How often, to what end, what unskillful mental qualities are present at the time...

It's a bit like in accounting where one is taught not to assign fixed costs on a per unit basis, because fixed costs do not behave on a per unit basis.
In fact, it's more accurately the opposite of this. The exact kammic effects of masturbation depend on a number of factors, and do not behave on a "one size fits all" basis.

The one thing we do know however, is that the kammic effect of masturbation is not kusala. It weighs one down enough that the Buddha urged Monks (Monks the term which is frequently explained in the commentaries as to mean any yogi who strives for nibbana through practise of the NEP) to abandon it.

:anjali:

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BlackBird wrote: In fact, it's more accurately the opposite of this. The exact kammic effects of masturbation depend on a number of factors, and do not behave on a "one size fits all" basis.
That is the problem with the backpack metaphor.
The one thing we do know however, is that the kammic effect of masturbation is not kusala. It weighs one down enough that the Buddha urged Monks (Monks the term which is frequently explained in the commentaries as to mean any yogi who strives for nibbana through practise of the NEP) to abandon it.
Commentaries. How frequently? In what context? Being a monastic is one thing, given that there is an explicit rule against it, but if I am a layperson, having done a number of three month retreats, any number of shorter ones, who sits every day, keeps the precepts, what "abandon it" might mean is an interesting thing to consider.

zavk

Post by zavk »

tiltbillings wrote: A person who indulges in self-pleasuring cannot be compassionate or out going? Says who? Based upon what? That is the sort of sex negative stuff that has no basis in reality that tends to come out of Christian point of view that takes a very narrow view of sex.
If we pay attention and see how unhelpful this is, we will not only begin to become disenchanted with this activity but we will also begin to see other more positive and inspiring possibilities on our horizon.
It is always unhelpful? In all cases for all people all the time? Is sex unhelpful? In all cases all the time? Is that why we move beyond sex? It is "unhelpful?" That looks to be a rationialization.
I have stayed out of this discussion thus far but I would just like comment on this. I agree with Tilt's point here. I believe that for most of us in the 'West' (broadly conceived) our attitudes towards the body, desire, and pleasure have been deeply conditioned by certain Christian understanding, even if we do not come from a Christian background. As I understand it, these three spheres (or to use a more Buddhist term, aggregates) of experience, body, desire, and pleasure do not have fixed relationships with each other. However, through the course of history, Christianity has produced a very influential configuration of body-desire-pleasure, such that sexuality (which emerges from the interplay of body-desire-pleasure) has come to be centered on a man-woman relationship (which therefore already brackets out masturbation) and associated with shame and guilt. This Christian configuration of body-desire-pleasure has, in time, permeated into broader social and cultural attitudes.

IMO, Buddhist understanding of the 'middle path' allows us to open up and reconfigure body-desire-pleasure. But I also think that we need to be mindful of how the Christian conditioning of our attitudes towards sexuality is very deep. I think that even when as we attempt to speak from a Buddhist perspective, we are never entirely free from this conditioning.
With metta,
zavk