Coronavirus (Wellness, Diet & Fitness)

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Post Reply
SarathW
Posts: 14309
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Coronavirus (Wellness, Diet & Fitness)

Post by SarathW »

I spoke to a doctor about the Coronavirus and s/he was relaxed about the issue.
It appears most doctors are taking this as another day for their duties.
What I understood was there is nothing the hospital can do about this stage.
The best option is to stay at home until you get better as there are no special treatments.
However, if your sickness getting to emergency (such as repertory problems) then you should call the ambulance or the hospital.
Many hospitals have only one ventilator so there is not much hope in the hospitals either.
The virus will take its own cause for about two to three weeks.
Stay fit and do exercise every morning so your lymphatic system is in full gear.
Consuming milk products are bad as it produces more mucus.
Take these precautions in the early stage of the sickness.
Antibiotics work only for secondary bacterial infections.

I was looking for a home remedy we used in Sri Lanka for the respiratory block.
Please note that you can't use steam therapy when you have a fever according to the following video.
However, my mother used to give me steam therapy when I had a fever.
Surprisingly I found one in English!!!

Warning: Do not burn yourself with the steam. Gradually release the steam from the pot.
Why don't you just give a try? You don't have to be sick to test this.
You feel good after anyway.






Last edited by SarathW on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 8763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by Ceisiwr »

Washing hands is key, as well as keeping distance from others as much as possible. Also avoiding hand shakes. If you touch surfaces or shake hands wash your hands before touching your face or eating.

The top estimate for the death rate is 1%, and that’s a high estimate. It could be lower. Most people will be fine, especially those 20 years old or younger. The morality rate increases in those who are in their 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s as well as those with underlying health conditions such as diabetes.

Just my luck I’m likely to be diagnosed with prediabetes diabetes or full type 2 diabetes in 2 weeks, just as this virus outbreaks 🙄
"Analysis and synthesis are praised by the wise,
liberation in the Sāsana comes from analysis and synthesis;
the purpose of the method of analysis and synthesis is the ultimate"


Nāmarūpapariccheda
SarathW
Posts: 14309
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by SarathW »

Also avoiding hand shakes.
:anjali:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
User avatar
Lucas Oliveira
Posts: 1199
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

The Effects of Mind-Body Therapies on the Immune System: Meta-Analysis
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0100903

New Clues Into How Meditation May Boost The Immune System
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalt ... 2fb1ff3698

Mindfulness meditation and the immune system: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4940234/

Train Your Brain to Boost Your Immune System
https://www.mindful.org/train-brain-boo ... ne-system/

How Meditation Helps Your Immune System Do its Job
https://chopra.com/articles/how-meditat ... do-its-job

Meditation And The Immune System
https://gohighbrow.com/meditation-and-t ... ne-system/


:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
User avatar
Lucas Oliveira
Posts: 1199
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

SarathW wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:03 am ..
I also use saline to clean my nose ..

Saline (medicine)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saline_(medicine)

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Dan74
Posts: 3392
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by Dan74 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am Washing hands is key, as well as keeping distance from others as much as possible. Also avoiding hand shakes. If you touch surfaces or shake hands wash your hands before touching your face or eating.

The top estimate for the death rate is 1%, and that’s a high estimate. It could be lower. Most people will be fine, especially those 20 years old or younger. The morality rate increases in those who are in their 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s as well as those with underlying health conditions such as diabetes.

Just my luck I’m likely to be diagnosed with prediabetes diabetes or full type 2 diabetes in 2 weeks, just as this virus outbreaks 🙄
According to WHO, the mortality rate is currently estimated at 3.4% but is of course very different across age groups, with people under 50 affected mildly and children practically not at all. So it's the elderly that are responsible for the mortality and in that age group the mortality is very high - 8-15%.

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-19-s ... hould-drop
_/|\_
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 8763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dan74 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:39 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am Washing hands is key, as well as keeping distance from others as much as possible. Also avoiding hand shakes. If you touch surfaces or shake hands wash your hands before touching your face or eating.

The top estimate for the death rate is 1%, and that’s a high estimate. It could be lower. Most people will be fine, especially those 20 years old or younger. The morality rate increases in those who are in their 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s as well as those with underlying health conditions such as diabetes.

Just my luck I’m likely to be diagnosed with prediabetes diabetes or full type 2 diabetes in 2 weeks, just as this virus outbreaks 🙄
According to WHO, the mortality rate is currently estimated at 3.4% but is of course very different across age groups, with people under 50 affected mildly and children practically not at all. So it's the elderly that are responsible for the mortality and in that age group the mortality is very high - 8-15%.

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-19-s ... hould-drop

The WHO reached that figure simply by dividing the number of fatalities by the number of known cases, but that doesn’t give you the morality rate (for one it doesn’t cover asymptotic individuals).
"Analysis and synthesis are praised by the wise,
liberation in the Sāsana comes from analysis and synthesis;
the purpose of the method of analysis and synthesis is the ultimate"


Nāmarūpapariccheda
Dan74
Posts: 3392
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by Dan74 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:13 pm
Dan74 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:39 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am Washing hands is key, as well as keeping distance from others as much as possible. Also avoiding hand shakes. If you touch surfaces or shake hands wash your hands before touching your face or eating.

The top estimate for the death rate is 1%, and that’s a high estimate. It could be lower. Most people will be fine, especially those 20 years old or younger. The morality rate increases in those who are in their 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s as well as those with underlying health conditions such as diabetes.

Just my luck I’m likely to be diagnosed with prediabetes diabetes or full type 2 diabetes in 2 weeks, just as this virus outbreaks 🙄
According to WHO, the mortality rate is currently estimated at 3.4% but is of course very different across age groups, with people under 50 affected mildly and children practically not at all. So it's the elderly that are responsible for the mortality and in that age group the mortality is very high - 8-15%.

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-19-s ... hould-drop

The WHO reached that figure simply by dividing the number of fatalities by the number of known cases, but that doesn’t give you the morality rate (for one it doesn’t cover asymptotic individuals).
Where did you find the description of their methodology?

I guess they could not take into account the number of asymptomatic individuals because well... they are asymptomatic. Although I am sure they've tested many people who tested positive but were asymptomatic, so they would've taken it into account to an extent. But the mortality rate can simply be taken as applicable to those who do have symptoms.

I do strongly suspect that WHO has some pretty excellent professionals who know how to do a thorough statistical analysis from the known data.

Edit: I found some good info here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... eath-rate/
_/|\_
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 8763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dan74 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:24 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:13 pm
Dan74 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:39 pm

According to WHO, the mortality rate is currently estimated at 3.4% but is of course very different across age groups, with people under 50 affected mildly and children practically not at all. So it's the elderly that are responsible for the mortality and in that age group the mortality is very high - 8-15%.

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-19-s ... hould-drop

The WHO reached that figure simply by dividing the number of fatalities by the number of known cases, but that doesn’t give you the morality rate (for one it doesn’t cover asymptotic individuals).
Where did you find the description of their methodology?

I guess they could not take into account the number of asymptomatic individuals because well... they are asymptomatic. Although I am sure they've tested many people who tested positive but were asymptomatic, so they would've taken it into account to an extent. But the mortality rate can simply be taken as applicable to those who do have symptoms.

I do strongly suspect that WHO has some pretty excellent professionals who know how to do a thorough statistical analysis from the known data.

Edit: I found some good info here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... eath-rate/

I haven't looked at the data myself. The UK's chief medical officer made the claim in a select committee meeting.
"Analysis and synthesis are praised by the wise,
liberation in the Sāsana comes from analysis and synthesis;
the purpose of the method of analysis and synthesis is the ultimate"


Nāmarūpapariccheda
User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 8608
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by DooDoot »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:48 pm The UK's chief medical officer made the claim in a select committee meeting.
Try reading Venerable Nanananda's works. They are full of wisdom and deep insight. Coronavirus? Merely a "concept". Nor the Coronavirus, nor the concept, nor the wisdom, nor the deep insight are real. In fact the unreality is also not real. Nothing is real, including the nothing-ness. There is no nothing-ness in nothing.

:anjali:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
User avatar
No_Mind
Posts: 2175
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: India

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by No_Mind »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am Washing hands is key, as well as keeping distance from others as much as possible. Also avoiding hand shakes. If you touch surfaces or shake hands wash your hands before touching your face or eating.

The top estimate for the death rate is 1%, and that’s a high estimate. It could be lower. Most people will be fine, especially those 20 years old or younger. The morality rate increases in those who are in their 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s as well as those with underlying health conditions such as diabetes.

Just my luck I’m likely to be diagnosed with prediabetes diabetes or full type 2 diabetes in 2 weeks, just as this virus outbreaks 🙄
I need to vent!!!!

Why is there tremendous focus on death rate? Who cares if it is 1 or 50%. A severe pneumonia could keep you away from work for at least a month and permanently damage your lungs. How many people, how many families would survive without a month's income?

Covid-19 causes severe pneumonia in 20% cases. Most of them require ventilators. Most likely it will also require that a whole family be quarantined.

I cannot get to grips with this obsession by CNN and BBC (far-left channels that believe "life is valuable" and airs endless programs about living longer) about fatality rate!! I am mad as hell.

Most American families do not have $400 to spare. It is the same around the world. How are you going to afford ICU for 10 days and recuperation?

For God's sake can this obsession about fatality rate please be controlled?

The world is in a bad shape. HSBC announced 35,000 job cuts (before Covid-19).

Entire supply chains may disappear and for most parts have. If the virus strikes India you are not going to get access to anything because all of your insurance claims are processed here. If he factory of the world (China) and back office of the world (India) are paralyzed it is not a stretch to say that civilization is at peril.

Only one scientist spoke the truth - it is high time we developed vaccines for an entire family of viruses instead of a knee jerk reaction with every new H and N protein combination.

It would require massive funding and research.

All the brilliant guys who have passed out of MIT and Caltech for last 30 years have gone to work for Goldman and Google because as a scientist one earns a paltry starting salary of $70,000 vs $3 million (I am talking of real cream of the crop top 0.01% of brains who make advancement possible).

Something needs to be evolved, some structure or organization with at least $500 billion at its disposal to get top notch talent who are now busy fixing AI into voice search on phones so that one can find where the nearest Starbucks is located.

We are at peril as never before in history.

Venting over.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 23092
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:10 am Venting over.
Anything beyond the health and wellness aspects of the issue (e.g. media, supply chains, employment) should be discussed at DWE. There is a topic there...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
SarathW
Posts: 14309
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by SarathW »

retrofuturist wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:38 am Greetings,
No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:10 am Venting over.
Anything beyond the health and wellness aspects of the issue (e.g. media, supply chains, employment) should be discussed at DWE. There is a topic there...

Metta,
Paul. :)
https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5002
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 4925
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by cappuccino »

benefit to practicing Metta:

External dangers, such as poisons, weapons, and fire, will not harm you

- Anguttara Nikaya 11.16
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 7052
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Coronavirus?

Post by Sam Vara »

I'm wondering whether the virus will affect the number of lay supporters attending monasteries? At least it will be easy for monks to self-isolate if they are on retreat.

The Churches here are debating what to do with certain practices involving direct contact, such as communion and shaking hands as a sign of peace. Luckily we don't have those sorts of problems within Buddhism, but the virus can survive on surfaces and be transmitted via sneezing, etc. There is talk of the UK government banning all gatherings. Puja? Alms rounds? Lay meditation groups?
Post Reply