Adolf Hitler

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
User avatar
Pondera
Posts: 989
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Adolf Hitler

Post by Pondera » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:05 am

My understanding of this subject is very rudimentary. So I may be referring to “my understanding” repeatedly. I trust that there are members here with sophisticated knowledge of the subject.

Adolf Hitler took acquisition of many Buddhist concepts. In fact, Mr. Nietzsche had a few opinions on Buddhism as well. He once stated, to my recollection, that the shadow cast on the cave by the Buddha must be surpassed.

Hitler acquired the “Aryan” race concept. The reality of the invasion of Northern people into the India sub-continent is documented history. But Hitler turned it into a full blown “white, blue eyed” conquest. How much of this is true? And how much is propaganda?

Hitler acquired the swastika- a symbol of change - and turned it into a symbol of continental conquest. He also subsumed the word “Ariyan” - which he wanted to mean the noble races of the north of Europe.

In fact, this term, “Ariyan” means simply “noble” in Arabic languages. So, I ask (those who are further advanced on the topic) ... what did Hitler acquire which was untrue? How did he use Buddhist culture to bolster the propaganda of his war machine?

Looking forward to your responses.

Pondera
What is “rupa” Jhāna? Here are four simple meditations on earth, water, fire, and wind - leading to tranquility and pleasure, rapture and equanimity - peacehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1sdgpi ... hIz3wgz7ep

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 21720
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:15 am

Greetings,

I'm pre-emptively moving this topic to the "Hot Topics" section, where each post requires moderator approval before it is visible to members.

Please keep your responses closely aligned to the topic, as specified in the post above.

If you wish to discuss an off-topic tangent, either please don't, or take it to Dharma Wheel Engaged.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

dharmacorps
Posts: 1001
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by dharmacorps » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:26 am

Pondera wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:05 am

Adolf Hitler took acquisition of many Buddhist concepts. In fact, Mr. Nietzsche had a few opinions on Buddhism as well.
I disagree with your assumption that he "took acquisition of many Buddhist concepts". It is simply not true. Nazism was a pastiche of ultranationalism, racism, communism/socialism, fake or misinterpreted Germanic mythology, conspiracy theories, and pretend archeology and science. Just because there were a few references to things found in early Indo-european history (swastikas, the word Aryan, and maybe a few other things) does not make a connection with Buddhism. While I am at it, Nietzsche is also unfairly associated with Nazism. Nietzsche not only rejected much of Buddhism, and also rejected much of proto-fascist and ultranationalist ideas present in Germany in the lead up to Nazism.

I suggest you do some research privately on your own about this matter, as people particularly in the West tend to get pretty upset about this, even if approached with care. Posting a subject like this is bound to set off some people, even if approached earnestly and out of ignorance. It may be ill-advised I'm afraid, especially when the underlying assumption is a connection which clearly is tenuous to begin with.

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 6136
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by DooDoot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 am

Pondera wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:05 am
Adolf Hitler took acquisition of many Buddhist concepts.
The Western political doctrine closest to political Buddhism appears to be "fascism", i.e., recognition of "interconnectedness" (of the six-directions of society, per DN 31). Pretty hard for most to accept.
The Italian term fascismo is derived from fascio meaning "a bundle of sticks", ultimately from the Latin word fasces.... The Fascists came to associate the term with the ancient Roman fasces or fascio littorio—a bundle of rods tied around an axe, an ancient Roman symbol of the authority of the civic magistrate carried by his lictors, which could be used for corporal and capital punishment at his command... The symbolism of the fasces suggested strength through unity: a single rod is easily broken, while the bundle is difficult to break.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism#Etymology
To the contrary, most Westerners believe Buddhism is the same as Judaism, i.e., communism or equality.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

User avatar
Pondera
Posts: 989
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by Pondera » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 am

dharmacorps wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:26 am
Pondera wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:05 am

Adolf Hitler took acquisition of many Buddhist concepts. In fact, Mr. Nietzsche had a few opinions on Buddhism as well.
I disagree with your assumption that he "took acquisition of many Buddhist concepts". It is simply not true. Nazism was a pastiche of ultranationalism, racism, communism/socialism, fake or misinterpreted Germanic mythology, conspiracy theories, and pretend archeology and science. Just because there were a few references to things found in early Indo-european history (swastikas, the word Aryan, and maybe a few other things) does not make a connection with Buddhism. While I am at it, Nietzsche is also unfairly associated with Nazism. Nietzsche not only rejected much of Buddhism, and also rejected much of proto-fascist and ultranationalist ideas present in Germany in the lead up to Nazism.

I suggest you do some research privately on your own about this matter, as people particularly in the West tend to get pretty upset about this, even if approached with care. Posting a subject like this is bound to set off some people, even if approached earnestly and out of ignorance. It may be ill-advised I'm afraid, especially when the underlying assumption is a connection which clearly is tenuous to begin with.
Quite honestly I appreciate your post and am looking for posts like it. If Nietczhe’s relationship with a further historical Nazi Germany needs to be dispelled then let it be dispelled. And so forth. Thank you for your post. However I am looking for answers HERE. And I know we have a wealth of knowledge here.
What is “rupa” Jhāna? Here are four simple meditations on earth, water, fire, and wind - leading to tranquility and pleasure, rapture and equanimity - peacehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1sdgpi ... hIz3wgz7ep

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 12612
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by DNS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:16 am

DooDoot wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 am
To the contrary, most Westerners believe Buddhism is the same as Judaism, i.e., communism or equality.
How is Judaism similar or compatible with communism and equality?

In ancient Israel the Kohainim were hereditary priests from the Levi tribe. They still hold a higher place in rituals in modern synagogues. Next came the members of the remaining tribes. The gentiles (goyim) are like the out-castes. Throughout history Jews were traders, merchants, bankers who charged interest while the Christians refused to charge interest. Where's the communism and equality in that?

User avatar
Pondera
Posts: 989
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by Pondera » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:20 am

dharmacorps wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:26 am
Pondera wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:05 am

Adolf Hitler took acquisition of many Buddhist concepts. In fact, Mr. Nietzsche had a few opinions on Buddhism as well.
I disagree with your assumption that he "took acquisition of many Buddhist concepts". It is simply not true. Nazism was a pastiche of ultranationalism, racism, communism/socialism, fake or misinterpreted Germanic mythology, conspiracy theories, and pretend archeology and science. Just because there were a few references to things found in early Indo-european history (swastikas, the word Aryan, and maybe a few other things) does not make a connection with Buddhism. While I am at it, Nietzsche is also unfairly associated with Nazism. Nietzsche not only rejected much of Buddhism, and also rejected much of proto-fascist and ultranationalist ideas present in Germany in the lead up to Nazism.

I suggest you do some research privately on your own about this matter, as people particularly in the West tend to get pretty upset about this, even if approached with care. Posting a subject like this is bound to set off some people, even if approached earnestly and out of ignorance. It may be ill-advised I'm afraid, especially when the underlying assumption is a connection which clearly is tenuous to begin with.
I would like to add that the swastika (a symbol of change) and the term “Aryan” will never be the same after Adolf Hitler’s use of the terms.

Indeed. This fact deserves attention and explanation.
What is “rupa” Jhāna? Here are four simple meditations on earth, water, fire, and wind - leading to tranquility and pleasure, rapture and equanimity - peacehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1sdgpi ... hIz3wgz7ep

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 6136
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by DooDoot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:53 am

DNS wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:16 am
How is Judaism similar or compatible with communism and equality?
Law of Moses appears to be equality communism plus Kibbutzim.
DNS wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:16 am
Throughout history Jews were traders, merchants, bankers who charged interest while the Christians refused to charge interest. Where's the communism and equality in that?
I speculate the above occurred after us Phoenicians trained & corrupted Solomon in the evil of money lending & money making and then Jews filled the Mediterranean business vacuum after the Greeks flogged us Phoenicians at Tyre and the Romans flogged us Phoenicians at Carthage. :tongue:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

Caodemarte
Posts: 947
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by Caodemarte » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 am

DooDoot wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 am
....The Western political doctrine closest to political Buddhism appears to be "fascism", i.e., recognition of "interconnectedness" (of the six-directions of society, per DN 31). Pretty hard for most to accept.....To the contrary, most Westerners believe Buddhism is the same as Judaism, i.e., communism or equality.
Hard to accept because both statements are obvious nonsense.

form
Posts: 1248
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by form » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 am

He is very into occults. Maybe the occult side of Buddhism interest him.

sunnat
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:08 am

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by sunnat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:28 am

When Hitler was malnourished and homeless on the streets he liked to go to the opera. His favourite was Wagner. Buddhism was relatively new to Europe. Wagner was interested. "Wagner became increasingly preoccupied with Buddhist and Brahmin philosophy and literature during the 1850s, one of the most difficult periods in his life. It might be that he sought an authentic, true religion. In the relatively late texts of Buddhist literature that were available to him, Wagner thought that he could discern an ancient and authentic teaching. It seems that during this period he had turned away from Christianity, which for Wagner had been corrupted by Jewish influences."
His opera 'Parsifal' appears based on the life of Siddharta. Hitler imagined himself as Parsifal. Some elements of Buddhism as understood at this time were the role of will and asceticism.

There is much more, but to sum up: for a starving street person with psychopathic tendencies, full of anger and imagination and with buddhism as understood at that time it's not hard to see the direct connections.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by Sam Vara » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 am

sunnat wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:28 am

His opera 'Parsifal' appears based on the life of Siddharta.
This stretches credulity a bit. Wagner wrote a sketch for an opera (Die Sieger) based on a romantic story which was influenced by his very limited understanding of the Buddha's life and teachings. Some of the same themes (primarily self-overcoming via renunciation) appeared later in Parsifal. But the biggest influence on that opera is von Eschenbach's Parzifal, an Arthurian legend owing more to Christianity.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by Sam Vara » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:20 am

I've never really been interested in what seems a rather murky topic, but those who want to explore a little deeper might profit from a look at David Reynolds' (Paññobhāsa) blog:
Recently I received the rare and unusual compliment of being offered the position of Spiritual Advisor (evidently with the role of High Priest on the table) of the Thule Society, also known as the Thule Contemplative Society of Hitler. Remarkably, it is a more or less Theravada Buddhist society which nevertheless also supports a kind of deified hero cult of Adolf Hitler. It also endorses, perhaps even more strongly than Hitler did, opposition to Jews who purportedly are striving to degrade and enslave the goyim of the world.

The President of the Society is Brian Ruhe, who has become notorious as “the Nazi Buddhist.” I have never had much interest in the goings on of western Buddhism, so I knew relatively little about Mr. Ruhe…until very recently, and one sees that, yes indeed, he manages to be both a Theravada Buddhist and a fervent admirer of Hitler and of National Socialism.
There's quite a lot of stuff there about Hitler. You can follow your nose, or hold it, according to taste...

https://politicallyincorrectdharma.blog ... ty_15.html

confusedlayman
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by confusedlayman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:38 am

Hitler embraced hinduism but not buddhism as if he at least read buddhas basic teaching, he won't have did war on jews. anyway that guy has good leadership skills and organisation skills and can be incorporated in outlives if needed. its amazing how a man has both deep bad and deep good characters!!!
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

User avatar
Volo
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Adolf Hitler

Post by Volo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:38 am

From what I've read about Hitler, I think he wasn't very much into mysticism or religion. I've heard he hadn't even gone to see the Holy Lance - so little interest he had in the occult matters. Himmler was the one who was deeply into such things.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests