Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Post Reply
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5346
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Sam Vara » Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 am

binocular wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 am
Mr Man wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:59 am
Perhaps someone from the moderation team could have the op clarify what the thread is actually about
Seconded.
Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?
(Alexander Pope)

The OP was engaged in a personalised dispute with a female member on the "Gender Equality Poll" thread. He was claiming that the Buddha was "anti feminist". She got the last word in (a picture of a woman sleeping at a keyboard, implying her boredom with the discussion; this and personalised insults have now been removed) when a moderator locked the thread. Forty minutes later, this thread popped up.

Work it out.

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 21256
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by retrofuturist » Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 am

Greetings Mike,
retrofuturist wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:49 am
It could have been any number of things, but I don't really think it's that unclear what the topic is.
Mike wrote:I take is that he vehemently disagrees with certain views. Is that how you read it?
Moreso, that the Dhamma as expressed in the scriptures may not always conform to the social, economic or political standards of [current year] that political activists try to foist upon others, and upon us as Buddhists.(Sometimes even done in the name of the Dhamma, or dhammic qualities like wisdom, compassion, harmlessness, or generosity. Which raises the important question, what are we first and foremost - followers of the Dhamma or followers of these potentially conflicting ideologies? How to reconcile any differences? Where is our refuge?).

But if the OP wishes to clarify, I'll happy stand corrected.

..

Greetings Sam,

Thank for you the context (which I personally had not discerned, to date).

...

Greetings all,

And now with that cleared up, I think it's time we all finally get...

:focus:

Off-topic commentary or meta-discussion may be removed without notice.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by budo » Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am

I already did clarify, retrofuturist.

I wrote
To get people to see which dhamma they pick and choose (Cafeteria Buddhists). Interesting to see the Mahayanists / Visuddhimaggists on this forum use the "It's not authentic card" when it suits them, but when it comes to Zen / Vipassana, they turn a blind eye.

I am an EBT follower, I don't necessarily follow these Jataka tales because I do not know which are authentic or not until Bhikkhu Analayo and other monks are done with their research with comparing parallels (agamas, ghandaran fragments, etc..). But it's interesting to see those who accept ALL Buddhism reject this because it conflicts with their PC ideology.


So anyone who accepts the complete canon (Tripitaka) or later "Buddhisms" cannot complain about misogyny or authenticity and must accept this as well.

Lastly, some of these texts also align with a few of Asoka's edicts (women courts, women roles, bad vs good women etc..)
And this was why I created the new thread, not because Aloka is a woman, as Sam Vara said, but because Aloka accepts all of Buddhism on his/her engaged Buddhism forum, but then rejects THIS Buddhism (Jataka Tales), so it's interesting to see when he/she uses the "Not Authentic card" to mold Buddhism to his/her PC or SJW ideology, as in his/her fashionable impermanent ideology (which isn't timeless compared to the true dhamma) takes priority. It's interesting to see Sam Vara, someone who usually is careful about what he/she says easily jump to conclusions, as he/she wrote here:
Sam Vara wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 pm
chownah wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 am
How about defining exactly what an sjw is?
chownah
As this thread was started immediately after a robust exchange of views with Aloka was locked, my guess is that an sjw is herein defined as "a woman who gets the last word in".

I have no idea whether Aloka is a man or a woman, just like I've seen people confuse Kim Ohara as a woman when he's a man. In fact sometimes I confuse Kim for Aloka because they have similar avatars and views, so I don't partcularly pay attention to the identity of the person I'm responding to unless they are very well learned in the dhamma and have impressed me. Usually if someone is not well-learned in the dhamma I don't care much for their person. So we can see that Sam Vara seems quick to jump the gun and jump to conclusions when his/her own bias is met with opposition.

As shown before and here too:
Sam Vara wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 am
binocular wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 am
Mr Man wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:59 am
Perhaps someone from the moderation team could have the op clarify what the thread is actually about
Seconded.
Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?
(Alexander Pope)

The OP was engaged in a personalised dispute with a female member on the "Gender Equality Poll" thread. He was claiming that the Buddha was "anti feminist". She got the last word in (a picture of a woman sleeping at a keyboard, implying her boredom with the discussion; this and personalised insults have now been removed) when a moderator locked the thread. Forty minutes later, this thread popped up.

Work it out.

Both comments made by Sam Vara after I've already clarified my position to SDC. Sam Vara also uses the "Misogyny" card which DooDoot said in response that that word is not found in the dhammas
. Sam and co are quick to ask for an SJW definition, but have no hesitancy to use the word Misogyny (which has hatred implied in it):
mid 17th century: from Greek misos ‘hatred’ + gunē ‘woman’.

That's accusing someone of being hateful, which imho is far worse than accusing someone of being an SJW.


But just for clarification, what I believe is irrelevant, I just show what the suttas show.

And yes, there is anti-feminism in the Dhamma, for example the suttas
Anuruddha sutta and Uggaha Sutta:
(1) “So then, girls, you should train yourselves thus: ‘To whichever husband our parents give us—doing so out of a desire for our good, seeking our welfare, taking compassion on us, acting out of compassion for us—we will rise before him and retire after him, undertaking whatever needs to be done, agreeable in our conduct and pleasing in our speech.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(2) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will honor, respect, esteem, and venerate those whom our husband respects—his mother and father, ascetics and brahmins—and when they arrive we will offer them a seat and water.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(3) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will be skillful and diligent in attending to our husband’s domestic chores, whether knitting or weaving; we will possess sound judgment about them in order to carry out and arrange them properly.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(4) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will find out what our husband’s domestic helpers—whether slaves, messengers, or workers—have done and left undone; we will find out the condition of those who are ill; and we will distribute to each an appropriate portion of food.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(5) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will guard and protect whatever income our husband brings home—whether money or grain, silver or gold—and we will not be spendthrifts, thieves, wastrels, or squanderers of his earnings.’ Thus should you train yourselves.
For her husband, she must wake up before him, go to bed after him, be of service to him, conduct herself to please him and speak words that are loving to him.
Last edited by budo on Wed May 22, 2019 10:49 am, edited 13 times in total.

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 21256
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by retrofuturist » Wed May 22, 2019 10:21 am

Greetings,
budo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am
I already did clarify, retrofuturist.
Thanks.

I'll embed a link in your original post to your most recent post, to allay any further queries about the topic.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by budo » Wed May 22, 2019 10:28 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:21 am
Greetings,
budo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am
I already did clarify, retrofuturist.
Thanks.

I'll embed a link in your original post to your most recent post, to allay any further queries about the topic.

Metta,
Paul. :)
NP, also I made some edits to fix grammar and add more words for clarification.

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 2100
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Bundokji » Wed May 22, 2019 10:53 am

I did not follow this thread closely, but from quick scan of some of the content, would it be a deviation from the main topic if i link to eclecticism?

Why do those who choose to construct a belief system from different ideologies and sources are meant to justify themselves more than those who adopt a belief system based on one school of thought (when the very identification of a certain set of ideas as one unified source is merely another belief)?

Also am i misinterpreting the context of OP when i feel that what is agreed upon as EBT is presented as an authority and somehow imposed on others? is authority the measure of truth? what if the authority of a certain source representing a certain figure or teacher is partially recognized? or why does it have to be fully recognized? why does it have to be either this or that (i.e you either recognize the whole EBT as authentic or somehow you are being incoherent and therefore internally dishonest).

Is having faith in the authenticity of the so-called EBT (without conclusive evidence except through second hand knowledge) and using it to measure the honesty or coherence of others is in itself honest?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5346
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Sam Vara » Wed May 22, 2019 11:27 am

budo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am



Both comments made by Sam Vara after I've already clarified my position to SDC. Sam Vara also uses the "Misogyny" card which DooDoot said in response that that word is not found in the dhammas
. Sam and co are quick to ask for an SJW definition, but have no hesitancy to use the word Misogyny (which has hatred implied in it):
mid 17th century: from Greek misos ‘hatred’ + gunē ‘woman’.

That's accusing someone of being hateful, which imho is far worse than accusing someone of being an SJW.



You misunderstood my original point here. Nobody is accusing anyone of being hateful, or of being a misogynist. My point was that a set of quotes disparaging women could, as well as triggering SJWs, trigger misogynists. The former would tend to feel aversion towards the text, and the latter would be confirmed in their misogyny. Neither is, in my opinion, a healthy response, and hence my point about the necessity of trigger-guards regardless of whichever way the weapon is pointing. The dhamma is to take us to equanimity, rather than to entrenchment and political conflict.

I don't know who you mean by "Sam and co", but I've never asked for a definition of SJW. It's a new term which tends to lead to semantic disputes, but its meaning is as clear to me as that of "misogyny". I'm not accusing anyone of either of them. Nor am I claiming any "Buddhist" or "dhammic" status for either term, whatever those two labels are taken to mean.

User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 5395
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Ceisiwr » Wed May 22, 2019 12:19 pm

budo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am
I already did clarify, retrofuturist.

I wrote
To get people to see which dhamma they pick and choose (Cafeteria Buddhists). Interesting to see the Mahayanists / Visuddhimaggists on this forum use the "It's not authentic card" when it suits them, but when it comes to Zen / Vipassana, they turn a blind eye.

I am an EBT follower, I don't necessarily follow these Jataka tales because I do not know which are authentic or not until Bhikkhu Analayo and other monks are done with their research with comparing parallels (agamas, ghandaran fragments, etc..). But it's interesting to see those who accept ALL Buddhism reject this because it conflicts with their PC ideology.


So anyone who accepts the complete canon (Tripitaka) or later "Buddhisms" cannot complain about misogyny or authenticity and must accept this as well.

Lastly, some of these texts also align with a few of Asoka's edicts (women courts, women roles, bad vs good women etc..)
And this was why I created the new thread, not because Aloka is a woman, as Sam Vara said, but because Aloka accepts all of Buddhism on his/her engaged Buddhism forum, but then rejects THIS Buddhism (Jataka Tales), so it's interesting to see when he/she uses the "Not Authentic card" to mold Buddhism to his/her PC or SJW ideology, as in his/her fashionable impermanent ideology (which isn't timeless compared to the true dhamma) takes priority. It's interesting to see Sam Vara, someone who usually is careful about what he/she says easily jump to conclusions, as he/she wrote here:
Sam Vara wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 pm
chownah wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 am
How about defining exactly what an sjw is?
chownah
As this thread was started immediately after a robust exchange of views with Aloka was locked, my guess is that an sjw is herein defined as "a woman who gets the last word in".

I have no idea whether Aloka is a man or a woman, just like I've seen people confuse Kim Ohara as a woman when he's a man. In fact sometimes I confuse Kim for Aloka because they have similar avatars and views, so I don't partcularly pay attention to the identity of the person I'm responding to unless they are very well learned in the dhamma and have impressed me. Usually if someone is not well-learned in the dhamma I don't care much for their person. So we can see that Sam Vara seems quick to jump the gun and jump to conclusions when his/her own bias is met with opposition.

As shown before and here too:
Sam Vara wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 am
binocular wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 am

Seconded.
Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?
(Alexander Pope)

The OP was engaged in a personalised dispute with a female member on the "Gender Equality Poll" thread. He was claiming that the Buddha was "anti feminist". She got the last word in (a picture of a woman sleeping at a keyboard, implying her boredom with the discussion; this and personalised insults have now been removed) when a moderator locked the thread. Forty minutes later, this thread popped up.

Work it out.

Both comments made by Sam Vara after I've already clarified my position to SDC. Sam Vara also uses the "Misogyny" card which DooDoot said in response that that word is not found in the dhammas
. Sam and co are quick to ask for an SJW definition, but have no hesitancy to use the word Misogyny (which has hatred implied in it):
mid 17th century: from Greek misos ‘hatred’ + gunē ‘woman’.

That's accusing someone of being hateful, which imho is far worse than accusing someone of being an SJW.


But just for clarification, what I believe is irrelevant, I just show what the suttas show.

And yes, there is anti-feminism in the Dhamma, for example the suttas
Anuruddha sutta and Uggaha Sutta:
(1) “So then, girls, you should train yourselves thus: ‘To whichever husband our parents give us—doing so out of a desire for our good, seeking our welfare, taking compassion on us, acting out of compassion for us—we will rise before him and retire after him, undertaking whatever needs to be done, agreeable in our conduct and pleasing in our speech.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(2) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will honor, respect, esteem, and venerate those whom our husband respects—his mother and father, ascetics and brahmins—and when they arrive we will offer them a seat and water.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(3) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will be skillful and diligent in attending to our husband’s domestic chores, whether knitting or weaving; we will possess sound judgment about them in order to carry out and arrange them properly.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(4) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will find out what our husband’s domestic helpers—whether slaves, messengers, or workers—have done and left undone; we will find out the condition of those who are ill; and we will distribute to each an appropriate portion of food.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(5) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will guard and protect whatever income our husband brings home—whether money or grain, silver or gold—and we will not be spendthrifts, thieves, wastrels, or squanderers of his earnings.’ Thus should you train yourselves.
For her husband, she must wake up before him, go to bed after him, be of service to him, conduct herself to please him and speak words that are loving to him.


Are you then pro-arranged marriage?
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Wed May 22, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chownah
Posts: 7932
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by chownah » Wed May 22, 2019 12:26 pm

There probably isn't any dhamma which would trigger most sjws.....sjws are mostly known for their calm demeanor because to maintain ones pursuit of progressive goals one runs into all kinds of name calling detractors (it comes with the territory) and if one can not stay calm in the face of this derision one will fall by the way side.....so....most sjws can stay calm in the face of adversity.....hence they are somewhat immune to triggering......they wouldn't get triggered by some literary buddhist dogma LOL.
chownah

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 4850
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by SDC » Wed May 22, 2019 1:19 pm

chownah wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:26 pm
There probably isn't any dhamma which would trigger most sjws.....sjws are mostly known for their calm demeanor because to maintain ones pursuit of progressive goals one runs into all kinds of name calling detractors (it comes with the territory) and if one can not stay calm in the face of this derision one will fall by the way side.....so....most sjws can stay calm in the face of adversity.....hence they are somewhat immune to triggering......they wouldn't get triggered by some literary buddhist dogma LOL.
chownah
To clarify what I said earlier, I wasn't saying they were irate or anything like that but I know firsthand that people categorized as such are unapologetic in their relentless pursuit of progressive goals. Such people are happy to be known as unwilling to bend and they should be proud of having that fortitude. You're being unrealistically generous with the immunity comment. If I were fighting social injustice I would want to be known as someone who doesn't go quietly. I guess you don't read over at Sutta Central...

As usual I am sure you and I are reading too much into what the other is saying.

And if the Dhamma does trigger such people, I couldn't care less. Everyone has their own agenda, even if they are imitating others. It isn't in my interest to convert others to my end - I merely want them to know about it. And I think it speaks volumes about one's own deepest intentions with the Dhamma if other's dissension is so troubling. I think we all tend to carry over notions of wanting to see harmony and accord among fellow practitioners and when it doesn't pan out we push for it. I never say this cliche line but "that is another thing to let go". While we waste our time correcting others, movement towards nibbana stalls.

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3421
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Mr Man » Wed May 22, 2019 1:28 pm

budo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am

And yes, there is anti-feminism in the Dhamma, for example the suttas
Anuruddha sutta and Uggaha Sutta:
(1) “So then, girls, you should train yourselves thus: ‘To whichever husband our parents give us—doing so out of a desire for our good, seeking our welfare, taking compassion on us, acting out of compassion for us—we will rise before him and retire after him, undertaking whatever needs to be done, agreeable in our conduct and pleasing in our speech.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(2) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will honor, respect, esteem, and venerate those whom our husband respects—his mother and father, ascetics and brahmins—and when they arrive we will offer them a seat and water.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(3) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will be skillful and diligent in attending to our husband’s domestic chores, whether knitting or weaving; we will possess sound judgment about them in order to carry out and arrange them properly.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(4) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will find out what our husband’s domestic helpers—whether slaves, messengers, or workers—have done and left undone; we will find out the condition of those who are ill; and we will distribute to each an appropriate portion of food.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(5) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will guard and protect whatever income our husband brings home—whether money or grain, silver or gold—and we will not be spendthrifts, thieves, wastrels, or squanderers of his earnings.’ Thus should you train yourselves.
For her husband, she must wake up before him, go to bed after him, be of service to him, conduct herself to please him and speak words that are loving to him.
Hi budo
It is budo who is attributing anti-feminism to the Dhamma. Do you think the Buddha taught with an anti-feminist intention?

User avatar
Pseudobabble
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 am
Location: London

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Pseudobabble » Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:28 pm
budo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am

And yes, there is anti-feminism in the Dhamma, for example the suttas
Anuruddha sutta and Uggaha Sutta:
(1) “So then, girls, you should train yourselves thus: ‘To whichever husband our parents give us—doing so out of a desire for our good, seeking our welfare, taking compassion on us, acting out of compassion for us—we will rise before him and retire after him, undertaking whatever needs to be done, agreeable in our conduct and pleasing in our speech.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(2) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will honor, respect, esteem, and venerate those whom our husband respects—his mother and father, ascetics and brahmins—and when they arrive we will offer them a seat and water.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(3) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will be skillful and diligent in attending to our husband’s domestic chores, whether knitting or weaving; we will possess sound judgment about them in order to carry out and arrange them properly.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(4) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will find out what our husband’s domestic helpers—whether slaves, messengers, or workers—have done and left undone; we will find out the condition of those who are ill; and we will distribute to each an appropriate portion of food.’ Thus should you train yourselves.

(5) “And you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will guard and protect whatever income our husband brings home—whether money or grain, silver or gold—and we will not be spendthrifts, thieves, wastrels, or squanderers of his earnings.’ Thus should you train yourselves.
For her husband, she must wake up before him, go to bed after him, be of service to him, conduct herself to please him and speak words that are loving to him.
Hi budo
It is budo who is attributing anti-feminism to the Dhamma. Do you think the Buddha taught with an anti-feminist intention?
Nonsense question. The Dhamma is orthogonal to ideology. Certain parts will be approved of by the ideology-holder, and others disapproved of, which parts depend on which ideology is held. The Buddha was neither pro nor anti-feminist.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta


'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

Spaciousness
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:20 am

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Spaciousness » Wed May 22, 2019 4:59 pm

So after all these posting? what have you achieved?

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3421
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Mr Man » Wed May 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm
Mr Man wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:28 pm
budo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am

And yes, there is anti-feminism in the Dhamma, for example the suttas
Anuruddha sutta and Uggaha Sutta:



Hi budo
It is budo who is attributing anti-feminism to the Dhamma. Do you think the Buddha taught with an anti-feminist intention?
Nonsense question. The Dhamma is orthogonal to ideology. Certain parts will be approved of by the ideology-holder, and others disapproved of, which parts depend on which ideology is held. The Buddha was neither pro nor anti-feminist.
Not sure what "orthogonal to ideology" means but I think you may be agreeing with me. budo was attributing anti-feminism to the Dhamma (Buddha's teaching). My question was rhetorical.

binocular
Posts: 6318
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by binocular » Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 pm

budo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am
I already did clarify, retrofuturist.
I wrote
To get people to see which dhamma they pick and choose (Cafeteria Buddhists). Interesting to see the Mahayanists / Visuddhimaggists on this forum use the "It's not authentic card" when it suits them, but when it comes to Zen / Vipassana, they turn a blind eye.

I am an EBT follower, I don't necessarily follow these Jataka tales because I do not know which are authentic or not until Bhikkhu Analayo and other monks are done with their research with comparing parallels (agamas, ghandaran fragments, etc..). But it's interesting to see those who accept ALL Buddhism reject this because it conflicts with their PC ideology.
You don't believe is any kind of rebirth from one lifetime to the next. By your own definition, that means you pick and choose, and makes you a "cafeteria Buddhist".
You're criticising people for doing the exact same thing as you do. The only difference is that their pet peeve is misogyny, while yours is rebirth.

So ... what gives?
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests