Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
binocular

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by binocular » Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pm
Yes, probably unrealistic, but I was trying to bring some balance to the thread by trying to find some suttas that might trigger people who are triggered by the concept of SJW.
Why not, you know, end the triggering, and just start shooting, and be done with it?
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Will

Post by Will » Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

DNS wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:20 am
Will wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:17 am
Roy Rogers and Trigger are long dead, so we really should not keep beating that dead horse.
I think most DW members are too young to know what you're talking about. :D

I might even be too young, but I'll take a shot at it.

Trigger was the name of his horse and is in reference to people being "triggered" and beating a dead horse saying is appropriate as it applies to discussions too.

Roy Rogers was famous for always saying "I never met a man I didn't like" so I assume that is in reference to pollyanna people who get triggered when that paradigm is not met?
Age is just a concept, except when my knees, the mirror, my extended memory & DNS remind me. :)
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- AN 10.1

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm

Will wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm
Age is just a concept, except when my knees, the mirror, my extended memory & DNS remind me. :)
:D :thumbsup:

Back when Harry Reid was Senate majority leader (U.S. Senator from Nevada), there were some bumper stickers that read:

Roy Rogers never met Harry Reid

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:58 pm

binocular wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 am
mikenz66 wrote:
Yes, probably unrealistic, but I was trying to bring some balance to the thread by trying to find some suttas that might trigger people who are triggered by the concept of SJW.
Why not, you know, end the triggering, and just start shooting, and be done with it?
It's interesting that the idea expressed in some suttas of Women being dominant in some areas of life didn't seem to generate much interest. However, Samvara said:
Sam Vara wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm
Actually this made me think of the ideal marriage in tough working class communities of fifty or so years ago in the UK. It's perfectly compatible with the man being a strong protector and a breadwinner; a source of male pride that he can support a domestic matriarchy. When there are few opportunities for women to work outside the home, there's something almost unmanly about getting involved in domestic bickering about the home and the children. I think we need to assume that the Buddha only had experience of societies where duties were strongly sex-segregated, and that his concern was for the sort of domestic harmony that avoids the generation of dark kamma.
I have also seen this play out in domestic arrangements in Asia, with women being at "home", but running a small business from their house, and seeming to be making most of the decisions there, while the men work outside.

:heart:
Mike

Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII » Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:58 pm
binocular wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 am
mikenz66 wrote:
It's interesting that the idea expressed in some suttas of Women being dominant in some areas of life didn't seem to generate much interest. However, Samvara said:
Sam Vara wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm
Actually this made me think of the ideal marriage in tough working class communities of fifty or so years ago in the UK. It's perfectly compatible with the man being a strong protector and a breadwinner; a source of male pride that he can support a domestic matriarchy. When there are few opportunities for women to work outside the home, there's something almost unmanly about getting involved in domestic bickering about the home and the children. I think we need to assume that the Buddha only had experience of societies where duties were strongly sex-segregated, and that his concern was for the sort of domestic harmony that avoids the generation of dark kamma.
I have also seen this play out in domestic arrangements in Asia, with women being at "home", but running a small business from their house, and seeming to be making most of the decisions there, while the men work outside.

:heart:
Mike
I've seen many arrangements, a few that seem to work and many that don't. Ultimately, it's not so much about power, but care, respect and a common project. If those factors dominate, rather than the egos, people naturally let each other take dominant positions where appropriate, ie where the one partner performs better than the other. For instance, in our family I cook and earn main ncome, my wife is in charge of organising major events, like renovations, moving countries or houses, managing the kids' various activities and engagements and cleaning. When it comes to making important decisions, everybody has a say, including the kids, and then we come to a consensus (well, at least the parents, but usually everyone).

Not to say that it's ideal, but I can honestly say that power, domination and getting one's way are not decisive.