Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
DooDoot

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by DooDoot » Mon May 20, 2019 6:16 am

budo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:16 am
Read the pdf, he goes into that.
Why don't you simply post some choice quotes for us. Thanks :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon May 20, 2019 7:30 am

DooDoot wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:56 pm
misogynists
Non-Buddhist SJW adhammic identitarian criterion.
I'm favouring linguistic utility over provenance.

SDC

Post by SDC » Mon May 20, 2019 3:47 pm

budo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:49 pm
You don’t think exposing those triggered by SJW related issues is a bit arbitrary? Practitioners recoil against all aspects of Dhamma. I can’t imagine why you would roar on such specific grounds.

Laurens

Post by Laurens » Mon May 20, 2019 4:07 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
These might also trigger misogynists. The trick is to have a good trigger-guard and to keep one's safety-catch on, whichever way one's weapon is pointing.
Better to not carry a weapon IMHO :anjali:
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Mon May 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Its the Jataka tales. Only very few of them have corrolaries in the suttas, and it is fairly widely understood these were later inventions or heavily embellished. There are many ideas found in the Jatakas not identified elsewhere. Not much likelihood there is any buddhavacana here.

If you're interested in "triggering SJWs" then I think you should investigate why you feel the need to identify aspects of your religion which agitate other people.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon May 20, 2019 4:35 pm

Laurens wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:07 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
These might also trigger misogynists. The trick is to have a good trigger-guard and to keep one's safety-catch on, whichever way one's weapon is pointing.
Better to not carry a weapon IMHO :anjali:
I agree absolutely, but to continue the analogy, most of us seem to have been born with one!

budo

Post by budo » Mon May 20, 2019 6:27 pm

SDC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:47 pm
budo wrote:
You don’t think exposing those triggered by SJW related issues is a bit arbitrary? Practitioners recoil against all aspects of Dhamma. I can’t imagine why you would roar on such specific grounds.
To get people to see which dhamma they pick and choose (Cafeteria Buddhists). Interesting to see the Mahayanists / Visuddhimaggists on this forum use the "It's not authentic card" when it suits them, but when it comes to Zen / Vipassana, they turn a blind eye.

I am an EBT follower, I don't necessarily follow these Jataka tales because I do not know which are authentic or not until Bhikkhu Analayo and other monks are done with their research with comparing parallels (agamas, ghandaran fragments, etc..). But it's interesting to see those who accept ALL Buddhism reject this because it conflicts with their PC ideology.

So anyone who accepts the complete canon (Tripitaka) or later "Buddhisms" cannot complain about misogyny or authenticity and must accept this as well.

Lastly, some of these texts also align with a few of Asoka's edicts (women courts, women roles, bad vs good women etc..)

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr » Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 pm

I wonder if the same advice etc would have been said today by the Buddha?
“Not taking up any views,
possessing good behaviour, endowed with vision,
having removed greed for sensual pleasures,
one never again comes back to the bed of a womb”
Sn 1.8

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon May 20, 2019 7:27 pm

clw_uk wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 pm
I wonder if the same advice etc would have been said today by the Buddha?
Why not?

These ideas are routinely smuggled in through popular culture anyway.

SDC

Post by SDC » Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 pm

budo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:27 pm
SDC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:47 pm
budo wrote:
To get people to see which dhamma they pick and choose (Cafeteria Buddhists).
But then you could just as easily start a thread about Dhamma that triggers those prone to bhava-taṇhā. Just post a thread about the reality of death and watch members react. All I'm saying is that this just seems immensly specified in a landscape littered with ignorance that is far more fundamental and detrimental.

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon May 20, 2019 8:36 pm

SDC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 pm
But then you could just as easily start a thread about Dhamma that triggers those prone to bhava-taṇhā. Just post a thread about the reality of death and watch members react. All I'm saying is that this just seems immensly specified in a landscape littered with ignorance that is far more fundamental and detrimental.
Oh, but it's so much more dramatic and emotionally gratifying to pick on Cafeteria Buddhists.

SDC

Post by SDC » Mon May 20, 2019 8:38 pm

binocular wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:36 pm
SDC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 pm
Oh, but it's so much more dramatic and emotionally gratifying to pick on Cafeteria Buddhists.
Steal their milk and whatnot...

Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII » Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 pm

I don't know what your beef with Buddhists who don't share your opinions is, budo. This thread doesn't trigger me, but then I don't identify as an SJW.

My experience has been that there is a great variety of women in the world. Some are kind and compassionate. Some are mean and selfish. Some are incredibly bright and creative and others are stupid and dull. Some have spiritual depth and contemplate life in a genuine heart-felt and profound ways and others are superficial. And even those latter ones can change, given the right circumstances. I can only reflect on my own life and see what a dick I used to be and that I am possibly somewhat less of a dick now.

So these generalisation are meaningless to me. I wonder what meaning they hold to you, but that's really for you to discover as well as what aspect of your own shadow you are projecting on to women and the SJW's. All part of those patterns of mind that are all too easy to bypass with jhanas, but they come back to bite you sooner or later..

Wishing you good practice.

_/|\_

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 pm

Greetings,

My approach to this, is as follows...

I accept the Sutta as Buddhavacana, but do not accept Jataka Tales in that way, so I leave them aside for the purpose of this analysis. I prioritise the Dhamma over other ideologies and systems, so if there is ever a conflict between the two, I will resolve that conflict by deferring to the Dhamma.

I understand some people will do otherwise and that is their choice. Here's an applied example - the common issue on Buddhist forums of Vegetarianism. The Buddha allows meat consumption, within certain parameters, but Vegetarianism does not. Many Buddhist who subscribe to both, will be vegetarian and Buddhist because there is no conflict between these two paths. However, there are some vegetarians, who prioritize their vegetarianism over their Dhamma, and if they are not particularly mature or tolerant, they will start to try forcefully imposing their Vegetarianism on Buddhists, claiming it is Buddhism, and that meat-eating is not, and they will get upset (or "triggered"), if that militancy is opposed.

Bringing that dynamic back to the current topic, people can look at the Sutta, the Jatakas, and their non-Buddhist frameworks of choice, and come up with their own conclusion on how to address these matters. That's fine, and in fact, I encourage people to exert their own spiritual and intellectual autonomy. The only time conflict and interpersonal tension arises is when people try to force their views upon another, and express their intolerance of another person's right to make up their own mind. In short, the matter of "triggering" seems to correlate to an unwillingness to respect another person's autonomy.

The Dhamma tells us we cannot successfully wish for our own aggregates to be a certain way, so what hope is there of insisting that another's be a certain way? There is none, so pinning all one's hopes and cravings upon an outcome that is entirely beyond one's control, seems a sure fire, unwise way to create dukkha for one's self. I imagine that is suffering enough for them, and the situation probably warrants compassion, more than it warrants punishment or provocation. Even though it's true they are the owners of their intolerance and urge to control, vipaka will do what vipaka does - no additional provocation is necessary, or beneficial.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 pm

Greetings Budo,
budo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:27 pm
So anyone who accepts the complete canon (Tripitaka) or later "Buddhisms" cannot complain about misogyny or authenticity and must accept this as well.
That is true if one places Buddhism over all other world-views, and takes the Canon as infallible.

There may be perfectly valid reasons why people don't do one or another. (See my above post for more details)

Be wary of responding to intolerance with intolerance, or other akusala states. We should not foresake our Right Effort on account of others. :meditate:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)