Dhamma propagation - most effective form?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
dharmaamrita

Re: Dhamma propagation

Post by dharmaamrita »

just set an example. Forget about '-isms'. The Dhamma is universal. Let it be fully effulgent in your thoughts words and deeds. Always speak Dhamma, do Dhamma, think Dhamma. Then your bhava becomes infectiuous when people see the good in it.
befriend

Post by befriend »

whats wrong with putting an ad in the paper, i didnt know there was a buddhist group meeting one mile from my house for years, until i stumbled across a website that told me where they met. how are people supposed to know about groups that people could be interested in if no one displays it? if people dont want to go to a buddhist group they dont have to, but whats the harm in letting them know its there?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

plwk wrote:Location Matheesha Location :jumping:
(Where people are the most, that's where Dhamma should be made available, in my POV)
That's what seems to happen in practice, in the UK centres and groups tend to be in the cities and large towns. Which is fine unless you live in the country. ;)

Spiny
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Its interesting that there aren't any more online chatting/video conferencing. Recently some of my friends had access to a very good monk and they organised a video conference- it was really good! People could not only see/hear they could ask questions - and it did really feel like we were all there together in cycberspace,listening to this monk- there was a sense of 'group-identity' because we all kind of knew each other even though we weren't physically present (we could see each other, though). This is the site we used:

http://www.webex.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would hope someone attempts using it. It is quite good. :thumbsup:

:group:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

I've been working with the nuns at our temple to try and attract more people to visit, but attendance has been very low. We are now trying to find some good means to connect with people via local media. It's a catch 22- you want to offer more Dhamma activities, but you need people to attend them!
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Maitri wrote:I've been working with the nuns at our temple to try and attract more people to visit, but attendance has been very low. We are now trying to find some good means to connect with people via local media. It's a catch 22- you want to offer more Dhamma activities, but you need people to attend them!
How about running a series of articles in the local media re the dhamma? People might be curious enough to show up. Also dont forget Tea and busicuits!

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

rowyourboat wrote: Also dont forget Tea and busicuits!
Those are crucial elements of a Dhamma meeting. ;)

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Maitri wrote: It's a catch 22- you want to offer more Dhamma activities, but you need people to attend them!
Yes, this is something I've been struggling with for quite a while. What happens here in the UK is that in cities and large towns there will often be a number of different Buddhist traditions effectively "competing" for those with an interest. Short of paying people to turn up I'm not sure what the answer is.... ;)

Spiny
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

You must also be able to explain the basics of the Dhamma quite well to spread it.

I usually am a bit hesitant to talk about it myself, so I wouldn't pick me for it. ;)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
Maitri wrote: It's a catch 22- you want to offer more Dhamma activities, but you need people to attend them!
Yes, this is something I've been struggling with for quite a while. What happens here in the UK is that in cities and large towns there will often be a number of different Buddhist traditions effectively "competing" for those with an interest. Short of paying people to turn up I'm not sure what the answer is.... ;)

Spiny
Do something different- how about a 'practice support group'. :)

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

We have decided to try and host an intro to Buddhism course for local people. Many times new persons just come to regular meetings without much of an introduction and feel overwhelmed and rather confused. The Bhikkhuni is putting together a 4 week program that will be a very basic intro to meditation practice, the life of the Buddha and the Dhamma.

The competition is an issue. For whatever reason, there is almost 5 Theravada center in the local area and none of them want to consolidate and work together. The monastics all want to run their own center even though takes much more effort to run 5 centers instead of one :rolleye:
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

palchi wrote:One of the things that draw me into Buddhism (apart from the teachings hitting home of course) was the complete lack of missionary zeal. During my very first meditation course in a Tibetan temple the teacher even refused to answer questions on Buddhism during course time. His response was along the lines of: This is a beginners' meditation course, not a Buddhist course. If you have questions on Buddhism or the temple you are welcome to stay on afterwards and I will respond. Loved it.
The local group I sit with (Tibetan led) follows the same approach - it explicitly teaches meditation, not Buddhism. Sure, there's a shrine up the front and we start with the 'Refuge and Enlightenment' thought, but the Buddhism is incidental to the meditation. If people hang around long enough, they will pick it up as they go along and may study on their own or attend retreats.
It seems to work - the group is gradually growing and people keep attending for longer, on average, than they used to.
But we also advertise the meditation course quite widely - flyers on noticeboards, announcements in community newsletters, etc, and (recently) a simple web site which is all we need for people looking online for a local group.

:namaste:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Kim O'Hara wrote:But we also advertise the meditation course quite widely - flyers on noticeboards, announcements in community newsletters, etc, and (recently) a simple web site which is all we need for people looking online for a local group.
This is the sort of "Buddhist evangelism" that seems most appropriate to me so far: it's passive, and focuses on imparting a beneficial tool.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

daverupa wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:But we also advertise the meditation course quite widely - flyers on noticeboards, announcements in community newsletters, etc, and (recently) a simple web site which is all we need for people looking online for a local group.
This is the sort of "Buddhist evangelism" that seems most appropriate to me so far: it's passive, and focuses on imparting a beneficial tool.
Well, we dont have a 'message' to get across to everyone- nor are we multinational corporations- it will be comparatively subdued in spirit.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

AN 5.254: MACCHARIYA SUTTA — STINGINESS (1)

"Monks, there are these five forms of stinginess. Which five? Stinginess as to one's monastery [lodgings], stinginess as to one's family [of supporters], stinginess as to one's gains, stinginess as to one's status, and stinginess as to the Dhamma. These are the five forms of stinginess. And the meanest of these five is this: stinginess as to the Dhamma."
Interesting point!

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha