Megalomania and Buddhism

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Viachh

Megalomania and Buddhism

Post by Viachh »

Are the mega Buddha statues contrary to the very spirit of Buddhism: the spirit of middleness and measure?
binocular

Re: Megalomania and Buddhism

Post by binocular »

Viachh wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:14 amAre the mega Buddha statues contrary to the very spirit of Buddhism: the spirit of middleness and measure?
Surely if you calculated the statistical average size of Buddha statues, based on measuring all Buddha statues in existence, from those that are about 1 cm or less tall, to those that measure in tens of meters, you'd get a nice middle measure.
:woohoo:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

If I recall correctly, the Buddha had asked for no statues or images and this was followed for some centuries after his passing. But then people being people, they started making them. There are pros and cons - art can inspire and motivate people to practice.
_/|\_
Viachh

Post by Viachh »

Dan74 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 am If I recall correctly, the Buddha had asked for no statues or images and this was followed for some centuries after his passing. But then people being people, they started making them. There are - art can inspire and motivate people to practice.
Could there be pros and cons if the Buddha had asked for no statues or images. (Cognitive dissonance)
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Viachh wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 am
Dan74 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 am If I recall correctly, the Buddha had asked for no statues or images and this was followed for some centuries after his passing. But then people being people, they started making them. There are - art can inspire and motivate people to practice.
Could there be pros and cons if the Buddha had asked for no statues or images. (Cognitive dissonance)
Whether his wish was that no statues or images are build by his immediate disciples, who should rather concentrate on other things, or built ever, I am not sure. Nor that the Buddha always knew the best possible course of action for eternity.
_/|\_
binocular

Post by binocular »

Could someone please provide an actual canonical reference for the claim that "the Buddha had asked for no statues or images"?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Volo

Post by Volo »

binocular wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:43 am Could someone please provide an actual canonical reference for the claim that "the Buddha had asked for no statues or images"?
It's a disputed matter. Ven Dhammanando gave once some explanations, see the following topic: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32666#p485172.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I don't think there was much of a tradition of statuary in the Buddha's time. There is no proscription because it was not thought of.

As such, the "mega statues" can be seen as merely tasteful or distasteful. The important thing is one's attitude towards them. I have known Western monks explain how their refined sensibilities were offended by the garish and intrusive Buddha-rupas they encountered in Thailand and Burma. They grew to appreciate them, though.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Viachh wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:14 am Are the mega Buddha statues contrary to the very spirit of Buddhism: the spirit of middleness and measure?
People who delight in statue are addicted to appearance and come under mara
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Viachh

Post by Viachh »

It looks like a cargo cult.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I tend to find the grandiosity of the Dhammakaya sect to be disconnected from the true nature of the Dhamma.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 am Greetings,

I tend to find the grandiosity of the Dhammakaya sect to be disconnected from the true nature of the Dhamma.

Metta,
Paul. :)
Large statues are everywhere, not necessarily anything to do with Dhammakaya. Like any construction, they can be inspiring, or irritating, depending on your preferences.

These are a couple I've visited a few times...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Buddha_of_Thailand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tian_Tan_Buddha

The Tian Tan Buddha in Hong Kong has a particularly inspiring setting, and it faces North, towards China...

There is also a large installation featuring the Heart Sutra nearby: https://www.tourism.gov.hk/wisdompath/en/index.html

:heart:
Mike