The Amarapura and Ramanna sects have reached an agreement to combine the two sects!!!!!

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
SarathW

The Amarapura and Ramanna sects have reached an agreement to combine the two sects!!!!!

Post by SarathW » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:33 am

This is the sweetest and wonderful news I heard in my life in relation to progress Buddhism in Sri Lanka.
If you read my past posts you must have seen that I was a critic of sectarianism in Buddhist clergies.
Secrtainianism is against the Buddha's teaching. We have only one Sangha especially the cast based systems.
Siam Nikaya monks still think they are superior due to their high cast. (by the way, I am from a high cast in Sri Lanka)
I hope Sri Lank's high cast people will press the Siam Nikaya monks to join this united front.
This will be a major help to end the Cast system in Sri Lanka.
I hope this will go all the way to unite the Sangha all over the world.

https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/08/16/ama ... oric-move/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarapura_Nikaya

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramanna_Nikaya
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Volo

Re: The Amarapura and Ramanna sects have reached an agreement to combine the two sects!!!!!

Post by Volo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:27 am

Imo it doesn't really matter how many Nikayas are there as long as monks do not discriminate each other because of being ordained in a different Nikaya (e.g. can do patimokkha together, vassa seniority is accepted, etc). Having several Nikayas might be a good thing, because it would be easier for small Nikayas to keep strict Vinaya, like in Myanmar, where are 9 Nikayas, and small ones are usually stricter than the big one, but they recognize validity of each other's ordination.

SarathW

Re: The Amarapura and Ramanna sects have reached an agreement to combine the two sects!!!!!

Post by SarathW » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Agee. However, cast based Nikaya is completely against Buddha's teaching.
I honestly can't think these monks who are trying to protect their cast status as Buddhist Monks.
Last edited by SarathW on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:31 pm

:goodpost: All of the above. :goodpost:
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Excellent! Sadhu!

That is good news, I agree, there should be no caste in buddhism.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:30 am

It appears this division was one of the reasons for spreading of Christianity in Sri Laka.
This is a similar incident to the low cast Hindus becomes Buddhist in India.
================
The caste based discrimination made many Karava, Salagama, Durava, Bathgama, Deva & other castes people considered as 'low' by the Govi to become Catholics and Anglicans. The Siyam Nikaya as custodians of the Tooth Relic have always received the full support and patronage of the Govigama dominated Sri Lankan State and its Ministers and Ministries of Buddha Sasana, Cultural Affairs and others, the monopolisation of the 'Tooth' relic by the Radala and Govi combination on caste based lines have brought shame and a bad reputation to Buddhism in Sri Lanka,which resembles the white apartheid rule in South Africa, where only the whites were able to enjoy certain privileges. In many of his discourses the lord Buddha had specifically mentioned against caste based discrimination. It is often overlooked that the largest Buddhist converts today are the Indian Dalit community, a practice that had also been common in the history of Buddhism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siam_Nikaya

Volo

Post by Volo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:32 am

SarathW wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:27 pm
Agee. However, cast based Nikaya is completely against Buddha's teaching.
True. But in two nikayas, which are now going to combine, there was anyway no discrimination due to cast, isn't it? Therefore I don't see what their unification has to do with solving the cast problem in ordination.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:30 am

Agree.
At least they reduce the amount of division.
So just one step closer but it is going to be a difficult one unless there is public pressure to do so.

Rev.1000Lotus

Post by Rev.1000Lotus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:40 am

It’s not a full combination making both one under a single chief prelate, but an agreement that the both sects will work together in the matters of national (Sinhala) and prominent religious interests. You can understand this when you consider the present political situation of the country after the Easter bombings.

Yes, Amarapura and Ramanya are also based on the cast system where Ramanya is open for any cast, but Amarapura is mainly for Govigama cast.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:46 am

Thanks.
I also like to mention here that Ven. Narada seemed to be from a lower caste family.
His work seems to not appreciated due to his lower cast status.
I became a serious Buddhist practitioner after reading his book "Buddha and his teaching"

Rev.1000Lotus

Post by Rev.1000Lotus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 am

Yes, Ven. Narada’s writings are admired by many Sri Lankans.

Cast discrimination is very common in SL, especially if you somehow managed to join the wrong group :)