PM about dhammaboard.co

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
DooDoot

Re: PM about dhammaboard.co

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 amI think that butterfly is a special species for Queensland
I think is called a Ulysses butterfly. I planted a special tree to attract these butterflies but they never visit my place. So I am trying my luck with the Buddha's own Bodhi Tree. :|
Attachments
Bodhi tree.jpg
Little Evodia Little Forest.jpg
Little Evodia.jpg
Last edited by DooDoot on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:50 am
SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 amI think that butterfly is a special species for Queensland
I think is called a Ulysses butterfly. I planted a special tree to attract these butterflies but they never visit my place. So I am trying my luck with the Buddha's own Bodhi Tree. :|
I like the new image in your user name.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:06 amI like the new image in your user name.
Thank you for your kind & encouraging words SarathW. I accidentally broke a sacred leaf off my little Bodhi Tree (from Bodh Gaya) so I held it in the palm of my hand with hiri-ottappa, hoping forgiveness. :| A sunny warm day in my garden, today. Some beautiful light. :smile:
Attachments
Garden sun.jpg
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:50 am
You're both quite right - It's a Ulysses and it's a local species for me, and the tree you planted is its main host plant, i.e. the caterpillars feed on it, so the adults visit regularly. This page - http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.a ... ysses.html - has photos of the adults and the caterpillars, and a list of host plants. The bodhi tree doesn't get a mention, though, and neither do any of its relations.

I chose it for my avatar because it's such a symbol of my region, to the extent of being used as an identifier by a local tourist association - and because it's so beautiful. Perhaps I should have gone for a cassowary - http://www.birdway.com.au/casuariidae/s ... _34458.php - instead, but I reckon guys are allowed to like butterflies.

:namaste:
Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The bodhi tree doesn't get a mention
As far as I know, Bodhi tree does not attract birds and bees etc as it does not have flowers.
That is the reason Bodhi tree is an ideal place for sitting as you do not have to worry about bird droppings.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 am
The bodhi tree doesn't get a mention
As far as I know, Bodhi tree does not attract birds and bees etc as it does not have flowers.
That is the reason Bodhi tree is an ideal place for sitting as you do not have to worry about bird droppings.
We're a long way OT here but ...
Figs are weird. They do have flowers, but the flowers are inside the fruit and they are pollinated only by a particular kind of wasp - a different species of wasp for each species of fig.
So the flowers won't attract nectar-feeding birds but the fruit may attract fruit-feeding birds and animals. In fact, we have a bird called a figbird because native figs are its favourite food.

:namaste:
Kim
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Kim OHara wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 amYou're both quite right - It's a Ulysses and it's a local species for me...
Thank you kindly for your flora & fauna knowledge Kim. I always appreciate such knowledge. I planted many trees for the 1st time in my life recently. I really enjoy on weekends just laying on my bed, during the hot middle of the day, looking out through the low louver windows, feeling the fresh breeze and looking at my trees. I have a Micromelum minutum that has grown perfectly umbrella shaped outside my window, which attracts many birds & butterflies. Its perfect (finger crossed about impermanence). Below is my maniltoa lenticellata. Lovely. Kind regards :)
Attachments
budd tree2.jpg
budd tree2.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
budd tree1.jpg
budd tree1.jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
budd tree.jpg

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Sorry to intrude on such a genial and informative exchange, but please could people return to topic and perhaps start another thread to deal with Bodhi Tree etc?

:focus:
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:12 pm Sorry to intrude on such a genial and informative exchange, but please could people return to topic and perhaps start another thread to deal with Bodhi Tree etc?

:focus:
I think we were discussing this if my memory ("sati") serves me correct:
Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 pm splitting the potential membership between several boards weakens all of them
Kim OHara wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:53 am
I am a mod and admin on DWE.
Then we started talking about "mariposas" (spanish word) and it got derailed.

Hopefully Doodoot will come back as well; I got a nice seat for him right next to me and am keeping it real nice and warm for him. :hug:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It is great to see admin and moderators in one forum become just a member in another forum.
We like to see how skilful they are when they are in someone else's shoes.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm going to close this topic at this point, because Manopubbangama was included as part of the topic, and as such, there's very blurry lines about what's "on topic" versus what's a possible "personal attack" (ToS 2f).

If anyone wishes to create a new topic to discuss Dhammaboard, or any other Dhamma projects currently underway, you are welcome to create a new topic to do so.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."