PM about dhammaboard.co

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
paul

PM about dhammaboard.co

Post by paul »

I received a PM from Manopubbangama about a new board. Anyone know anything about it?
Kim OHara

Re: PM about dhammaboard.co

Post by Kim OHara »

I didn't get a PM (and I think that using one board's PM system to recruit for another is a bit dubious) but I found it immediately with a search and had a look.
I can't see that it offers anything very new except (for better or for worse) different admins.
In general I think that splitting the potential membership between several boards weakens all of them, so I will give the new team an "A" for effort and a :candle: for good luck but I won't give them any more support than that.

:namaste:
Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Link: Dhammaboard - Retracing the steps

sabba danam dhamma danam jinati

:candle:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
budo

Post by budo »

I also received the PM, and joined. I think it's good to have more forums on the internet discussing Early and Theravada Buddhism, as the original dhamma is constantly being diluted by pragmatic dharma, engaged Buddhism, and other forms of Buddhism who believe the Buddha's original words are incomplete.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

It seems to have at least one rather un-impartial moderator... I wonder if they will be censoring opinions they don't like.

(Is un-impartial a proper word? Not biased, but just strongly invested in a particular view.)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings James,
JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 pm (Is un-impartial a proper word? Not biased, but just strongly invested in a particular view.)
I think if you drop the double-negative, you'll just be left with 'partial'.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm Greetings,

Link: Dhammaboard - Retracing the steps

sabba danam dhamma danam jinati

:candle:

Metta,
:goodpost:
It is great to see many people take initiative to spread Dhamma.
I have seen many Dhamma forums come and go.
Running a Dhamma forum take lot of resources and responsibility.
Cross Dhamma forum participation strength all forums and Dhamma in my opinion.
Currently I am in three Dhamma forums. Sutta Central and Stack Exchange are the other two.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,
SarathW wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 pm Currently I am in three Dhamma forums. Sutta Central and Stack Exchange are the other two.
I've got a pretty good sense of Sutta Central, how it works, its value proposition and its approach... but I've never used Stack Exchange before.

How would you describe it as a place to discuss Dhamma?

Metta,
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is not a criticism of any particular forum.

- Stack exchange does not allow (discourage) discussion on the question area. This basically not very stimulative. However you get an answer to your question. They got very good people with lot of knowledge in Dhamma. It is not a place you can have Dhamma friends.

- Sutta Central DD is not performing up to the scratch. I think this is due to the culture of that forum even though it appears to be changing it. However I still get great answers from our own Dhammanando. I expect a more participation by monks as it is mainly supported by monks. However their main objective is the Sutta Cental project which I fully support.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Who is the admin?

Edt: nevermind. It is [name redacted by admin]
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

I think Budo summarized the feelings of many already, so no need to add to that as to why anyone would be interested in joining dhammaboard.co .

I believe that everyone in this world would like to be, and deserves to be, treated with dignity and respect. This includes not being condescended to with short, snarky comments which answer nothing followed by an emoji that says something like "with metta."

Many people would also like to pursue Theravadan Buddhism without late 20th and early 21st century revisionism and also that believe that said revisionism shall itself be subject to revisionism, without censorship, but in an open forum of ideas, all the while maintaining respect and reverence for the countless generations of ariyas that have handed us this priceless gift of Dhamma.

If anyone is interested in the principles of discussion for dhammaboard.co , our guiding light is the kathavatthu sutta: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 pm
I think that splitting the potential membership between several boards weakens all of them
Hi,

Do you, ma'am, belong to any other boards with the name 'dharma' in them besides this one, either as a user or as a moderator?
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Specific detail of how the new site is choosing to moderate a specific Dhamma Wheel member has been removed as it's off-topic, and violated TOS2d
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Manopubbangama wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:15 pm I think Budo summarized the feelings of many already, so no need to add to that as to why anyone would be interested in joining dhammaboard.co .

I believe that everyone in this world would like to be, and deserves to be, treated with dignity and respect. This includes not being condescended to with short, snarky comments which answer nothing followed by an emoji that says something like "with metta."

Many people would also like to pursue Theravadan Buddhism without late 20th and early 21st century revisionism and also that believe that said revisionism shall itself be subject to revisionism, without censorship, but in an open forum of ideas, all the while maintaining respect and reverence for the countless generations of ariyas that have handed us this priceless gift of Dhamma.

On a side note, regarding the "dubious" insult hurled at myself, almost immediately after this very thread was posted, an internet user with an Australian IP registered and immediately began spamming racist, and anti-Semitic content and content of Buddhadasa.

I think that alone says why spreading dhamma to known Buddhists instead of in public may be of interest to some.

That person's banning is subject to community decision as well, and although I didn't ban him, I'd fight for his reinstatement should a reasonable explanation other than overt spamming and trolling be given; some people really are crying out for help in ways that are beyond many peoples' comprehension.

If that brave person would like to come forward here with a reasonable explanation, I would be more than happy to discuss.

If anyone is interested in the principles of discussion for dhammaboard.co , our guiding light is the kathavatthu sutta: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
I don't think any of this has anything to do with me or with my post earlier in this thread. If you think it does, please explain what what it is so we can clear it up.
Manopubbangama wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:15 pm
Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 pm
I think that splitting the potential membership between several boards weakens all of them
Hi,

Do you, ma'am, belong to any other boards with the name 'dharma' in them besides this one, either as a user or as a moderator?
This is obviously addressed to me, although I am not, and never have been, "ma'am" to anyone. Most people take one look at my beard and choose "sir". :tongue:
As for other boards, yes of course I have belonged to other Buddhist boards, and I am still active on all three Wheels - as you probably know, since I've seen you elsewhere.
But I do still believe that splitting the potential membership between several boards weakens all of them. I regretted the decision to eliminate all current-affairs and general-interest sub-forums from DWT because of that belief, and took on the admin role at DWE to fill the resultant unmet need. If DWE had a change of heart, I would very happily fold DWE back into its original home.
If your new board can fill a similar unmet need, it has a legitimate role to play in the Buddhist community. If not, it's just splitting that community, and you (and DWT) then risk a death spiral which goes like this: too few members means little activity; little activity means members have less reason to visit regularly; intermittent visits mean that replies take days to arrive; slow replies mean posts are less worthwhile; posts which are less worthwhile mean fewer posts ... and the cycle repeats.
Note that I am not wishing this on you, on DWT, on DWE or on any other forum. I am simply saying that this happens regularly, and it is why forums pop up and ...fade away.

Kim
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Kim OHara wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:35 pm

This is obviously addressed to me, although I am not, and never have been, "ma'am" to anyone. Most people take one look at my beard and choose "sir". :tongue:
My sincere apologies, sir. My American-centric background along with the butterfly make me assume Kim was a female name, I hope you don't take this as a slight, or an active attempt to misconstrue your gender. It will not happen again.

Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 pm I think that splitting the potential membership between several boards weakens all of them
As for other boards, yes of course I have belonged to other Buddhist boards

Oh, okay well. Thanks for clearing that up...

When you say 'belonged' do you mean you have renounced your membership of other buddhist boards to focus exclusively on this one?

Because I thought that maybe...you are still a moderator at another one, perhaps?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Kim OHara wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:35 pm ... yes of course I have belonged to other Buddhist boards, and I am still active on all three Wheels ...
fyi ...
I am no longer a member of e-Sangha. :tongue:
I am no longer a mod on DWM.
I am still a mod and admin on DWE.

Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Manopubbangama wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:48 pm
Kim OHara wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:35 pm

My sincere apologies, sir. My American-centric background along with the butterfly make me assume Kim was a female name, I hope you don't take this as a slight, or an active attempt to misconstrue your gender. It will not happen again.

Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 pm I think that splitting the potential membership between several boards weakens all of them
As for other boards, yes of course I have belonged to other Buddhist boards

Oh, okay well. Thanks for clearing that up...

When you say 'belonged' do you mean you have renounced your membership of other buddhist boards to focus exclusively on this one?

Because I thought that maybe...you are still a moderator at another one, perhaps?
I think that butterfly is a special species for Queensland