Uganda Buddhist Center

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
SarathW

Uganda Buddhist Center

Post by SarathW »

Interesting video on UBC.
Please extend your support.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dharmacorps

Re: Uganda Buddhist Center

Post by dharmacorps »

Bhante did some teaching here in Oakland as well. Very charismatic and engaging speaker!
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Cool. Thanks for sharing.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Venerable Buddharakkhita is an excellent monk. And charismatic, articulate, and he has tireless energy. I met him on a fundraising trip to Australia.
His monastery is in a random village in Uganda, and he had hostility when he first opened the place. But now the community is supportive.
Quite amazing.
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

I met him randomly during a visit to a German monastery where I'd actually gone to meet Ajahn Brahm. He asked me how my life was going, and I told him that my job and financial situation is not secured and that I didn't know what the future holds.

He said (I paraphrase), "Life would be really boring if the future was totally known, wouldn't it?".

Wise words, went straight to my heart. :heart:

Great to know that the Uganda centre is flourishing. :anjali:
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Bikkhu Buddharakkhita is the real deal, there is no wishy-washy mindnumbing PC crud in his Dhamma.

Just the way it should be.

I am happy that the Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion in Uganda.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Agree.
What is unique about Bhante Buddharakhita (Not to mention some other monks) is his ability to mix Buddhism with his social programme.
I understand he has started an orphanage for which we all can help.

https://ugandabuddhistcenter.org/
Last edited by SarathW on Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

SarathW wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:24 pm Agree.
What is unique about Bhante Buddharakhita (Not to mention some other monks) is his ability to mix Buddhism with his social programme.
SarathW, do you have a link for his orphanage?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

SarathW, do you have a link for his orphanage?
I have sent Bhante an email to get more details about it.
Once I received it I will PM you.

Some other information.

AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ »

Manopubbangama wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:26 pm SarathW, do you have a link for his orphanage?
More info and a direct link to donate is right on the website of the Uganda Buddhist Centre; https://ugandabuddhistcenter.org/peace-school/
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

AgarikaJ wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:17 pm
Manopubbangama wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:26 pm SarathW, do you have a link for his orphanage?
More info and a direct link to donate is right on the website of the Uganda Buddhist Centre; https://ugandabuddhistcenter.org/peace-school/
Thank you, Agarika.

I'm forwarding this to some friends, as well.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

There is no information about the orphanage on the website as yet?
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

Just a curious question: Is it allowed in the Buddha's Teachings for monks to do work for the laity such as building water wells, houses, looking after them, (elderly homes or orphanages)?
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

Dhammabodhi wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 am I met him randomly during a visit to a German monastery where I'd actually gone to meet Ajahn Brahm. He asked me how my life was going, and I told him that my job and financial situation is not secured and that I didn't know what the future holds.

He said (I paraphrase), "Life would be really boring if the future was totally known, wouldn't it?".

Wise words, went straight to my heart. :heart:

Great to know that the Uganda centre is flourishing. :anjali:
It would be boring, If things stopped happening. Even many of my future works/life planned & scheduled, still I have to work for it. So, knowing the future not boring at all. :smile:
AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ »

WorldTraveller wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:56 am

Just a curious question: Is it allowed in the Buddha's Teachings for monks to do work for the laity such as building water wells, houses, looking after them, (elderly homes or orphanages)?
Strictly speaking, Theravada monks cannot till the land, cut plants, kill animals, trade objects, handle money, own anything besides a very regulated list of things. They have, literally, 'gone forth' from such things.

However, they can advise laypeople to do this in their stead. So an orphanage headed by laypeople but financed from temple funds and donations would be perfectly okay.

It gets a little bit more difficult in the fine detail; where is the difference between a monk suggesting that the upkeep of an orphanage would be good merit and outright asking for donations for it? How far should the involvement of a monk go when 'directing' a women's empowerment program or the curriculum of a temple school for children not directly entering the temple to become novices?

Mahayana schools of thought, it is to be noted, have very much less issues with that, as the Bodhisattva ideal opened the door to direct involvement, it even being especially virtuous and meritorious to help others.

That the Buddha staid aloof to such matters was a great help for the spread of the Dhamma in the beginning, as he did specifically not go into a competition on the social contract with the ruling castes of his time; nowadays, seen in competition with other religions, it can be seen more as having a hampering effect on the acceptance of his teachings.

Therefore, within a modern context of poverty versus ethical conduct, I frankly see nothing wrong with it even for a Theravada monk to become involved in such matters. It might hamper him strictly speaking in his personal attainments (who are his own responsibility to begin with), but as it increases respect from the laiety for the teachings, it would bring a long-term benefit for the Sangha.
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]