Mailing a book to death row inmate

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
salayatananirodha

Mailing a book to death row inmate

Post by salayatananirodha »

I plan to order a sutta collection from amazon.com and have it sent to an inmate on death row.
In order for it not to get rejected it must not have staples or metal in it.
If anyone has or has had a copy of this https://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-An ... 8&qid=&sr= book, please tell me if it is 100% a soft copy.

I wanted to send out a copy of the dhammapada for its simplicity and concise nature, but the available translations I've looked at aren't as good as I'd like. The transformative power of Buddha word is greatly optimized with a good translation.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
salayatananirodha

Re: Mailing a book to death row inmate

Actually, this looks like quite a good translation of dhammapada. Same question/s as earlier apply: https://www.amazon.com/Dhammapada-Verse ... 8&qid=&sr=
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
bodom

Post by bodom »

Yes I own both books they will be fine to send.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

salayatananirodha wrote:I wanted to send out a copy of the dhammapada for its simplicity and concise nature, but the available translations I've looked at aren't as good as I'd like. The transformative power of Buddha word is greatly optimized with a good translation.
I own a number of different translations and my favorite has to be Gil Fronsdals translation and that is what I would recommend.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

Sadhu!
salayatananirodha

Sādhu indeed, Fronsdal's translation is apparently accurate but seemingly academic. It's better if you ask me to translate 'dhammā' as things or mental objects than phenomena. I sent Venerable Buddharakkhita's translation, from pariyatti, which gave it a more homegrown appeal. When amazon restocks his mettā book, I should be sending that. I'm excited but pessimistic about the result.
bodom

Post by bodom »

salayatananirodha wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 am Sādhu indeed, Fronsdal's translation is apparently accurate but seemingly academic. It's better if you ask me to translate 'dhammā' as things or mental objects than phenomena. I sent Venerable Buddharakkhita's translation, from pariyatti, which gave it a more homegrown appeal. When amazon restocks his mettā book, I should be sending that. I'm excited but pessimistic about the result.
That is an excellent translation as well and would have been my second recommendation.

- BB
binocular

Post by binocular »

salayatananirodha wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:56 amI plan to order a sutta collection from amazon.com and have it sent to an inmate on death row.
Are you sure he won't have to pay for the postage/shipping?

Someone once sent me two books as a gift via Amazon. But as it later turned out, it wasn't really a gift, because I had to pay the postage/shipping, which cost almost as much as the books.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
salayatananirodha

I've not heard of that. :o
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

I want to give away my dhamma books. I thought that a prison would be the best place to send them. Can some please tell what would be the best way to go about this?
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

salayatananirodha wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:34 am Actually, this looks like quite a good translation of dhammapada. Same question/s as earlier apply: https://www.amazon.com/Dhammapada-Verse ... 8&qid=&sr=
I have this translation and it's still by far the best I've read.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
salayatananirodha

LuisR wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:33 pm I want to give away my dhamma books. I thought that a prison would be the best place to send them. Can some please tell what would be the best way to go about this?
It depends on the prison and probably what section of the prison they are in. I used this resource for sending texts to prisoners in oklahoma and texas. http://www.prisonpro.com/
Since I was mailing to death row, I had to send new books from a reputable store such as amazon. Not even sure the one I sent from pariyatti was accepted by the texas prison and lacked the will or the heart to call and find out. And for 'getting rid' of your used texts, I'm not even sure a public library is good -- I donated two books and I checked the catalogue later on and neither was added. Make friends, find people who like to read and just give them to them, even if they're not buddhist. Think 'giving is an ornament for the mind, a support for the mind'
salayatananirodha

On a side note, I've been going broke purchasing books for people and I've noticed these days I'm more faithful, more restrained, less anxious (not free thereof)
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:58 am
LuisR wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:33 pm I want to give away my dhamma books. I thought that a prison would be the best place to send them. Can some please tell what would be the best way to go about this?
It depends on the prison and probably what section of the prison they are in. I used this resource for sending texts to prisoners in oklahoma and texas. http://www.prisonpro.com/
Since I was mailing to death row, I had to send new books from a reputable store such as amazon. Not even sure the one I sent from pariyatti was accepted by the texas prison and lacked the will or the heart to call and find out. And for 'getting rid' of your used texts, I'm not even sure a public library is good -- I donated two books and I checked the catalogue later on and neither was added. Make friends, find people who like to read and just give them to them, even if they're not buddhist. Think 'giving is an ornament for the mind, a support for the mind'
Thanks for sharing.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
salayatananirodha

You're welcome... Another good thread would be 'comparing translations of the dhammapada'.