SN Goenka - Theravada Dhammaduta extraordinaire

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Saengnapha

Re: SN Goenka - Theravada Dhammaduta extraordinaire

Post by Saengnapha » Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:28 am
google lists three popular definitions for religion;
  • the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
  • a particular system of faith and worship.
  • a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.
i think the third applies particularly well
So sex could be considered a category 3 religion?

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Tue May 15, 2018 8:00 am

Saengnapha wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 am
rightviewftw wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:28 am
google lists three popular definitions for religion;
  • the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
  • a particular system of faith and worship.
  • a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.
i think the third applies particularly well
So sex could be considered a category 3 religion?
y.

Afaik the original etymology of religion has to do with a bond between man and god, in that sense the Dhamma is not a religion but it is pursued "religiously" in the above-mentioned sense.
How to Destroy any addiction
How to Meditate: Satipatthana Mahasi
Медитация Сатипаттхана Випассана
How To Develop Factors of Enlightenment & Perceptions
Complete Manual of Insight by Mahasi Sayadaw
Tyranny of Words - An Introduction to General Semantics
Ledi Sayadaw's Anapana Dipani (Samatha) @ ffmt.fr/articles/maitres/LediS/anapana-dipani.ledi-sayadaw.pdf
Dhammapada @ myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~lsn46/tipitaka/sutta/khuddaka/dhammapada/dhp-contrast-reading/dhp-contrast-reading-en/
don't feed the trolls

thepea

Post by thepea » Tue May 15, 2018 11:37 pm

rightviewftw wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:00 am

Afaik the original etymology of religion has to do with a bond between man and god, in that sense the Dhamma is not a religion but it is pursued "religiously" in the above-mentioned sense.
Sorry but I just don’t see the practice as a pursuit.
It’s more like if you cut yourself, you just have to take the appropriate measures as the body knows how to heal itself, you don’t have to pursue your healing.
But besides I’m less interested in whether Goenka s vipassana is called a religion or a cult, but rather that it is given appropriate distance from theravaden Buddhism.
Like zen has distance from Theravada.
It is quite different from monastic Buddhism and I feel this needs to be considered.

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Tue May 15, 2018 11:51 pm

thepea wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:37 pm
It’s more like if you cut yourself, you just have to take the appropriate measures as the body knows how to heal itself, you don’t have to pursue your healing.
do you actually deny that the training is pursued or are you turning a matter of conventional use of the word "religiously" into a discussion about free-will?
AN 4.170
He follows that path, develops it, pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it — his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.
AN 5.90;
...Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu under training is very busy, he has much to do and is intent on what there is to be done; he neglects seclusion, he does not pursue the inner tranquility of the mind. This, bhikkhus, is the first thing that leads to the deterioration of a bhikkhu under training.
Working to achieve is a pursuit, what one is working to achieve that one pursues. Working is a pursuit even if the goal is undesired in the following sense;
SN 22.101...
"Even though this wish may not occur to a monk who dwells devoting himself to development — 'O that my mind might be released from effluents through lack of clinging!' — still his mind is released from the effluents through lack of clinging. Why is that? From developing, it should be said. Developing what? The four frames of reference, the four right exertions, the four bases of power, the five faculties, the five strengths, the seven factors for Awakening, the noble eightfold path.
I see no reason to complicate the matter at all. If someone tells me that i am training religiously or that i am a religious person i won't take offence but i might ask what they mean by that and discuss what religion means.
How to Destroy any addiction
How to Meditate: Satipatthana Mahasi
Медитация Сатипаттхана Випассана
How To Develop Factors of Enlightenment & Perceptions
Complete Manual of Insight by Mahasi Sayadaw
Tyranny of Words - An Introduction to General Semantics
Ledi Sayadaw's Anapana Dipani (Samatha) @ ffmt.fr/articles/maitres/LediS/anapana-dipani.ledi-sayadaw.pdf
Dhammapada @ myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~lsn46/tipitaka/sutta/khuddaka/dhammapada/dhp-contrast-reading/dhp-contrast-reading-en/
don't feed the trolls

thepea

Post by thepea » Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:51 pm
I see no reason to complicate the matter at all. If someone tells me that i am training religiously or that i am a religious person i won't take offence but i might ask what they mean by that and discuss what religion means.
Yeah no worries,
It’s just when I googled pursuit as definition it referenced pursuit of a thing. To me the practice is not chasing after something it’s more just noticing what is there, you can’t really pursue that which is always there. You just have to become aware of this. Like the body just heals.