Looking for proofreading help from native English speakers

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
BKh

Looking for proofreading help from native English speakers

Post by BKh »

I am helping a monastery that needs periodic help with English proofreading. The material is created by non-native English speakers so the workflow really needs someone to bring a natural voice to the work.

Dhamma knowledge would be great but not essential.

You can PM me if you would like to help.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
BKh

Re: Looking for proofreading help from native English speakers

Post by BKh »

Hope no one minds if I bump this up from time to time. Since people are replying in pm's this might get lost.

To add something of value, I'll leave this...

Itivuttaka: the Buddha’s sayings
The section of the threes

98. Giving

This was said by the Lord…

“Bhikkhus, there are these two kinds of giving: the giving of material things and the giving of the Dhamma. Of these two kinds of giving, this is the foremost, namely, the giving of the Dhamma. There are these two kinds of sharing: the sharing of material things and the sharing of the Dhamma. Of these two kinds of sharing, this is the foremost, namely, the sharing of the Dhamma. There are these two kinds of help: help with material things and help with the Dhamma. Of these two kinds of help, this is the foremost, namely, help with the Dhamma.”

When they say that giving
Is supreme and unsurpassed,
And the Lord himself has extolled sharing,
Who, wise and knowing,
Confident in that foremost field of merit,
Would not give at the appropriate time?

Both for those who proclaim it
And for those who listen to it,
Confident in the Sublime One’s teaching,
The supreme good is fully purified
As they live diligently in the teaching.

https://suttacentral.net/iti98/en/ireland
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Perhaps a few more words would be helpful, such as, the monastery, the type of text, the amount of text, how periodic -- things like that (unless of course you are receiving what you need from PMs).
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
BKh

Post by BKh »

JohnK wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 pm Perhaps a few more words would be helpful, such as, the monastery, the type of text, the amount of text, how periodic -- things like that (unless of course you are receiving what you need from PMs).
I have gotten some great help so far, but I would be happy to have more. My hope is to have a pool of volunteers that can help as they are able. If I have several people helping, we would be talking about maybe a four-page article once a month. So no big commitment.

These would be shorter texts that are in the later stages of production but need work before they are presentable. Some are talks that have already been transcribed. Some are new work written as articles. They are all teachings based on the Sutta Pitaka presented within the context of traditional Theravada Buddhism. These are all short texts that don't all have fixed deadlines as they are mostly published on the web.

I can completely understand that people would want to volunteer for some projects and not others. If you aren't interested after we pm you are welcome to say no thanks.
BKh

Post by BKh »

So, just as an example, today they had text for an invitation to an event that needed to be checked. Not very long. Something that could take about 10 minutes.
Prajna78

Post by Prajna78 »

I would be happy to help. :heart:
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

I'd also be happy to help, and I'm experienced and capable. It might not look it when I post on forums, but I have an academic background in English.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
BKh

Post by BKh »

salayatananirodha wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:10 am I'd also be happy to help
Prajna78 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:39 pm I would be happy to help. :heart:
Thanks! I will let you know.
Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ »

I'm happy to help. I do some freelance proofreading and sub editing and am a native speaker.

PM me and I'll send you my email address
falsafa

Post by falsafa »

Would also be happy to help out :smile: