Convertion of muslims

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Bundokji

Re: Convertion of muslims

Post by Bundokji »

khemindas wrote: but you can steal from Kafir
Where did you get this from if i may ask?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Bundokji wrote:
The quote used to justify this, by some (apparently), is:
“So enjoy what you took as booty; the spoils are lawful and good”– Koran 8:69
Obviously this required some "interpretation" to get "you can steal from kafirs". I googled it, and a certain Anwar al-Awlaki (according to this somewhat questionable article, from which I got that first quote from the Koran) uses this quote to justify, it seems, stealing from any "kafir" :thinking:.

If you go back to 8:61-62 we get: "(61) And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allah . Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing. (62) But if they intend to deceive you - then sufficient for you is Allah . It is He who supported you with His help and with the believers" <-- so I fail to see the reasoning presented in the article. Then again, I am a foreigner to the tradition in question, but it seems this is specifically referring to war in which the non-muslims are the aggressors. There is still the issue of advocating for "just war", that has its own well-warranted debate, but its hardly saying anyone can steal from any kafir any time.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Coëmgenu wrote:
Bundokji wrote:
It's not surprising, though. Theists tend to see themselves as fully empowered representatives of God on earth.

If a theistic preacher comes to your property to preach to you, and you send them away, saying, "Get off my land!", prepare to be replied with something like, "No, this is God's land, not yours. I am acting in God's name, so I can be here."
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

binocular wrote:"No, this is God's land, not yours. I am acting in God's name, so I can be here."
I've politely turned away Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons a few times before and never got such a reaction! :jawdrop:
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Coëmgenu wrote:
Bundokji wrote:
Obviously this required some "interpretation" to get "you can steal from kafirs". I googled it, and a certain Anwar al-Awlaki (according to this somewhat questionable article, from which I got that first quote from the Koran) uses this quote to justify, it seems, stealing from any "kafir" :thinking:.

If you go back to 8:61-62 we get: "(61) And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allah . Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing. (62) But if they intend to deceive you - then sufficient for you is Allah . It is He who supported you with His help and with the believers" <-- so I fail to see the reasoning presented in the article. Then again, I am a foreigner to the tradition in question, but it seems this is specifically referring to war in which the non-muslims are the aggressors. There is still the issue of advocating for "just war", that has its own well-warranted debate, but its hardly saying anyone can steal from any kafir any time.
:thanks:

Spoils of war is not stealing. And as you said, its not only the article that is questionable, but the whole website does not seem very credible.

Here is a website where people get Fatwas

https://islamqa.info/en/14367
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

As an ex-Muslim, I recently told most of my close Muslim friends (most of them very conservative) that I am now a GAY BUDDHIST (lol). None of them thinks I should be killed.
As someone said earlier, interpretations of the hadith on apostasy can be quite divergent. Even al-Qaradawi, who is from the ultra-conservative fringe of islam, believes that it was quite natural for Muslims to kill apostates at a time (7th century) when 'leaving Islam' was synonymous with 'crossing over to the enemy'. Islam was not only seen as a religion (deen) but also as a nation (umma). So giving up islam was like giving up your citizenship and rejecting your nationality to adopt the enemy's nationality, and then possibly come back to fight and kill members of your former community. So it was meant to be applied in a very specific context.

Besides, one major aspect of shari'a law is dissuasion. The punishments are deliberately scary and are meant to be applicable as seldom as possible.
Last edited by lostitude on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

khemindas wrote: I quite disagree with you, I think your knowledge of Islam is very basic, is not the same as for other religions. In Islam you can't steal from muslim, or kill muslim, but you can steal from Kafir, or kill Kafir in some situation. I think you should study both Quran and Sunnah (Hadith) first than you can see real picture.
This is an understandable, but very common mistake. What you call 'islam' is actually a reference to Muslims in general. When you say 'islam', you actually mean 'The Muslims around me". Yet, to understand Muslims in general, you refer to texts instead of studying the human beings making up the group that you call 'islam'.
And obviously, you will have your interpretation of those texts, and they will have their interpretationS (plural) of those texts. And you cannot know how they interpret those texts if you don't know them, and how they think, and the varying levels of importance they give to those texts.
So all you can do when reading Islamic sources, is have an idea of what the authors of those texts used to think. But this in no way allows you to draw any valid conclusion about Muslims in general.