Convertion of muslims

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
lostitude

Re: Convertion of muslims

Post by lostitude »

As an ex-Muslim, I recently told most of my close Muslim friends (most of them very conservative) that I am now a GAY BUDDHIST (lol). None of them thinks I should be killed.
As someone said earlier, interpretations of the hadith on apostasy can be quite divergent. Even al-Qaradawi, who is from the ultra-conservative fringe of islam, believes that it was quite natural for Muslims to kill apostates at a time (7th century) when 'leaving Islam' was synonymous with 'crossing over to the enemy'. Islam was not only seen as a religion (deen) but also as a nation (umma). So giving up islam was like giving up your citizenship and rejecting your nationality to adopt the enemy's nationality, and then possibly come back to fight and kill members of your former community. So it was meant to be applied in a very specific context.

Besides, one major aspect of shari'a law is dissuasion. The punishments are deliberately scary and are meant to be applicable as seldom as possible.
Last edited by lostitude on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
lostitude

Re: Convertion of muslims

Post by lostitude »

khemindas wrote: I quite disagree with you, I think your knowledge of Islam is very basic, is not the same as for other religions. In Islam you can't steal from muslim, or kill muslim, but you can steal from Kafir, or kill Kafir in some situation. I think you should study both Quran and Sunnah (Hadith) first than you can see real picture.
This is an understandable, but very common mistake. What you call 'islam' is actually a reference to Muslims in general. When you say 'islam', you actually mean 'The Muslims around me". Yet, to understand Muslims in general, you refer to texts instead of studying the human beings making up the group that you call 'islam'.
And obviously, you will have your interpretation of those texts, and they will have their interpretationS (plural) of those texts. And you cannot know how they interpret those texts if you don't know them, and how they think, and the varying levels of importance they give to those texts.
So all you can do when reading Islamic sources, is have an idea of what the authors of those texts used to think. But this in no way allows you to draw any valid conclusion about Muslims in general.