By laws for non profit

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
JeffR

By laws for non profit

Post by JeffR »

I have some Thai friends who have initiated a home for a few monks to stay at and practice Dhamma in accordance with the traditional monastic lifestyle. Naturally, the monks offer advice and teachings to those who show up to support them and in the future there will be retreats and some scheduled lessons in meditation and dhamma talks.

No one in the group has experience in starting a 501(c) non-profit and there is not much experience in business administration. What's needed at this point is to write up a good set of by-laws that will allow for expansion and assure that no self interested individuals weasel in and turn it into more of a business operation with low regard for the Dhamma, as too often has occurred at other Wats.

Does anyone have access to an existing temple's by-laws that can be shared and used as a template for writing this organizations by-laws?
Or, can you point me in the direction of such a template?

(Wat is in the USA, but by-laws from Wats established in other countries could still serve as a template.)
:anjali:
Thank you.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
DNS
Site Admin

Re: By laws for non profit

Post by DNS »

From googling "Buddhist temple bylaws" I found some here:
https://www.buddhisttempleoftoledo.org/ ... procedures
https://www.dharmawheels.org/who-we-are/our-bylaws/
www.stlthaitemple.org/ByLaw.pdf
http://www.daibosatsu.org/bylaws.html

Several years ago I had a 501c3 just for the purpose of distributing Dhamma books so that individuals or organizations who bought many copies could legally deduct their expense as charity donation. Once the books were all sold-out I dissolved the 501c3.

IIRC, it is about a 20 page government form to fill out and then the by-laws attached and you need a list of the initial board of directors. In the bylaws you can explain the length of term of the directors and how new directors are chosen. (I had some local monks and lay people as my initial board) Once the paperwork is submitted, expect about one to three months for it to be assigned to a Treasury dept. employee and then about another couple of months before approval. Some key things to include or emphasize are that no one is profiting off the organization; that there are no salaries, just subsistence provided to monastics, the operation of the temple and paying of utilities; and that in the event the organization dissolves, all assets and funds in bank accounts are donated to another 501c3. When I dissolved my organization, I sent the funds remaining in accounts to local temples.
JeffR

Re: By laws for non profit

Post by JeffR »

Thanks David.
These help. If anyone else has something to respond with, please do.
-Jeff :anjali:
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945