Aussie Buddhists - 6 min documentery

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
pilgrim

Aussie Buddhists - 6 min documentery

Post by pilgrim »

Kim OHara

Re: Aussie Buddhists - 6 min documentery

Post by Kim OHara »

:thanks:
It's not really about typical Aussie Buddhists but it's good for what it is.

:namaste:
Kim
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

This video made me sad, that now people will think buddhist monks such as myself are so unfeeling and strict as to not hug their own mother. When in reality there is nothing in the vinaya which would prevent a monk hugging his mum. Unless the monk enjoys incest... :shrug:
Lovely camera-work though, and nice shots of Wat Buddha Dhamma north of Sydney, which is where I'm going for 3 months after the rains.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Bhante Lucky wrote:...there is nothing in the vinaya which would prevent a monk hugging his mum...
Interesting this should come up now. My first visit to a monastery was last weekend. There were two monks ordaining, and an issue that kept coming up in conversation with the mothers was the no-mom-hugging. I have never read the vinaya, so can't comment on that, but I guess it is a rule in some places.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

JohnK wrote:I have never read the vinaya, so can't comment on that, but I guess it is a rule in some places.
It ought to be in all places.
At one time, a monk touched his mother out of affection. He became remorseful, thinking, “The Master has laid down a training rule. Could it be that I’ve committed an offense entailing suspension (saṅghādisesa)?” He informed the Master, and the Master said, “There’s no offense entailing suspension, but there’s an offense of wrong conduct (dukkaṭa).”

At one time, a monk touched his daughter out of affection … his sister out of affection. He became remorseful … “There’s no offense entailing suspension, but there’s an offense of wrong conduct.”

At one time, a monk made physical contact with his former wife. He became remorseful … “You’ve committed an offense entailing suspension.”

https://suttacentral.net/en/pi-tv-bu-vb-ss2
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

There was some question last weekend about "why?"
This is pasted from an email I sent to a good friend who is such a Mom:

Was reading "on the path," and thought of the "no hug."
ThanAjahn says of course that clinging is the cause of suffering.
He then lists 4 types of clinging: to thoughts of sense gratification, to habits and practices, to views, and to doctrines of the self.
He then says (p.18):
"A bit of reflection will confirm that these four types of clinging contain all the details of how we define ourselves, both personally and culturally...This means that, to end suffering, we have to stop clinging to the ways we construct our identities. This is a radical job." [emphasis added].
I'll say! It's about as radical and against-the-grain as it can get.
So, it requires radical and against-the-grain practices. I suppose it would be very hard for a mother's hug NOT to cause some construction/recollection of an identity as that mother's son -- which could hinder the exacting monastic practices designed to lessen all such construction, could interfere with progress made in that direction -- and the monk's path is totally dedicated to that direction. As hard as it may be not to hug, how sad if it were to block a son's progress toward the unfabricated, nibbana.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Dhammanando wrote:
At one time, a monk touched his mother out of affection. He became remorseful, thinking, “The Master has laid down a training rule. Could it be that I’ve committed an offense entailing suspension (saṅghādisesa)?” He informed the Master, and the Master said, “There’s no offense entailing suspension, but there’s an offense of wrong conduct (dukkaṭa).”

At one time, a monk touched his daughter out of affection … his sister out of affection. He became remorseful … “There’s no offense entailing suspension, but there’s an offense of wrong conduct.”

At one time, a monk made physical contact with his former wife. He became remorseful … “You’ve committed an offense entailing suspension.”

https://suttacentral.net/en/pi-tv-bu-vb-ss2
Oops, looks like I was wrong.
Hugging mothers is an offense then, but less serious than using a urinal, or chewing noisily (both forbidden in the patimokkha rules).
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Bhante Lucky wrote:... Wat Buddha Dhamma north of Sydney, which is where I'm going for 3 months after the rains.
Just out of curiosity, how do they define 'after the rains' in a non-monsoonal climate?

:coffee:
Kim
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Kim OHara wrote:
Bhante Lucky wrote:... Wat Buddha Dhamma north of Sydney, which is where I'm going for 3 months after the rains.
Just out of curiosity, how do they define 'after the rains' in a non-monsoonal climate?

Kim
Basically just a rainy winter for us. We do our Rains Retreat/Vassa at the same time as Thailand, which is convenient because it's a little wet here at that time, and not much good for working outside building. Not much rain (170mm per month maximum) but enough to disrupt re-roofing or painting.
I understand some monasteries in Canada and Northern Europe do their vassa when the snow is deep and it's impossible to do anything outside anyway. Brrr!

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Bhante Lucky wrote:Hugging mothers is an offense then, but less serious than using a urinal, or chewing noisily (both forbidden in the patimokkha rules).
All three offences are of the same grade — offences of wrong-doing (dukkaṭa). Chewing noisily is no offence if it is unintentional. Standing up to use a urinal is no offence if one is sick or in pain. In a situation where one is busting to take a leak, and there is no private cubical where one can sit, one can urinate standing up at a urinal because that would be covered by the escape clause (no offence if one is sick, or in pain).

How seriously an offence is perceived depends largely on the society where one is at present. Where lay Buddhists know the rules about touching women, hugging one's mother might be regarded as very serious. After all, a passerby may not know that she is your mother, sister, or daughter.

Making a noise while eating or urinating while standing up would likely be overlooked pretty much anywhere, but some might be offended by such actions even though no offence at all was being committed, due to their misunderstanding of the rule.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Bhante Lucky wrote:
Kim OHara wrote:

Kim
Basically just a rainy winter for us. We do our Rains Retreat/Vassa at the same time as Thailand, which is convenient because it's a little wet here at that time, and not much good for working outside building. Not much rain (170mm per month maximum) but enough to disrupt re-roofing or painting.
I understand some monasteries in Canada and Northern Europe do their vassa when the snow is deep and it's impossible to do anything outside anyway. Brrr!

Okay - that makes sense. My climate is monsoonal (North Qld) so we have a Thai-style rainy season but six months out of step with theirs.

Kim
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

A response by Ajahn Brahm in the July 7th talk about this very video. Just thought to link it for another perspective. The video will start where it's addressed.

:anjali:
Last edited by ryanM on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

A nicely produced video. The monastery looks stunning.

It would have been helpful if they explained why he can't touch his mother or any other female. They spent a lot of time on his family, but didn't offer an explanation for the rule. I think that would have given a better context.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Bhante Lucky wrote:Hugging mothers is an offense then, but less serious than using a urinal, or chewing noisily (both forbidden in the patimokkha rules).
All three offences are of the same grade — offences of wrong-doing (dukkaṭa). Chewing noisily is no offence if it is unintentional. Standing up to use a urinal is no offence if one is sick or in pain. In a situation where one is busting to take a leak, and there is no private cubical where one can sit, one can urinate standing up at a urinal because that would be covered by the escape clause (no offence if one is sick, or in pain).

How seriously an offence is perceived depends largely on the society where one is at present. Where lay Buddhists know the rules about touching women, hugging one's mother might be regarded as very serious. After all, a passerby may not know that she is your mother, sister, or daughter.

Making a noise while eating or urinating while standing up would likely be overlooked pretty much anywhere, but some might be offended by such actions even though no offence at all was being committed, due to their misunderstanding of the rule.
I apologize Bhante, my mind was carried away by unrelated irritation and grumpyness, hence my foolish and wrong assertions. I must pause before typing!
Warrior_monk1

Post by Warrior_monk1 »

This is truly inspiring! I hope I can be a monk like Josh! But, as a Martial Arts monk, that more my type :P. Then, I will do only the extreme good things for the world and for myself.