wat metta in Valley Center CA USA

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
mario92

wat metta in Valley Center CA USA

Post by mario92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:10 am

Does someone knows if wat metta accepts money orders?
I think karma is the first topic we should understand before starting in meditation.

mario92

Re: wat metta in Valley Center CA USA

Post by mario92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:17 am

Other ways of donating also?
I think karma is the first topic we should understand before starting in meditation.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:26 pm

you can donate online on www.networkforgood.com and search wat metta.

mario92

Post by mario92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Thank you dharmacorps :D

mario92

Post by mario92 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 pm

dharmacorps wrote:you can donate online on http://www.networkforgood.com and search wat metta.
I think this applies only to the US

dhammapal

Post by dhammapal » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Wat Metta now has a Paypal account. See this link for full details.

Donations can be made by PayPal or credit card.

With Paypal donations you can add instructions of your preference of General Support, Construction Projects or Books/Dhamma distribution.

They are very generous often posting large parcels of paper books unrequested so indicate if you prefer to read online and don't tick the box providing a marketing shipping address. To request printed books write to the monastery using this form.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Many here know this but maybe not all.
Wat Metta is the monastery where Thanissaro Bhikkhu is the abbot.
He is one of the major Pali Canon translators (to English), also translating Thai Forest ajaans; and his translations and commentary are cited/quoted here on DW on a regular basis; his work is not sold, and most if not all is available electronically -- many of us have used this resource to quote his work here on DW.
Links to accesstoinsight are posted here very often -- he is the person who was behind that site.
So, here at DW, we are regular recipients of his work and teachings.
In the context of dana, just saying...
(I apologize if anything I have said is imprecise, but it is in the ballpark, and I am happy to be corrected -- I'm not an expert on Thanissaro.)
"Why is it, Master Kaccana, that ascetics fight with ascetics?"
"It is, brahmin, because of attachment to views, adherence to views, fixation on views, addiction to views, obsession with views, holding firmly to views that ascetics fight with ascetics" (AN 2: iv, 6, abridged).
Kindly eyes, not verbal daggers.

bodom

Post by bodom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:55 pm

I have sent money orders along with written book requests. The monastery pays for the postage and has sent me literally dozens of free books and it is good to help them to be able to continue offering free Dhamma books to the world.

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

"Dont send the mind outside. Watch the mind right at the mind."

- Ajahn Dune Atulo

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:39 pm

access to insight is now run by the Insight Meditation Center in Barre, MA. Same content, but the site is not run by TB anymore.

I believe Tan Geoff, his translations, publications, and teachings are vital to theravada Buddhism today. Great resource!

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Note that Thanissaro Bhikkhu's updated translations and new books are here:

https://www.dhammatalks.org

Mike

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 am

JohnK wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 pm
He is one of the major Pali Canon translators (to English), also translating Thai Forest ajaans; and his translations and commentary are cited/quoted here on DW on a regular basis; his work is not sold, and most if not all is available electronically -- many of us have used this resource to quote his work here on DW.
Links to accesstoinsight are posted here very often -- he is the person who was behind that site.
(I apologize if anything I have said is imprecise, but it is in the ballpark, and I am happy to be corrected -- I'm not an expert on Thanissaro.)
Was he involved in starting the site? I thought Mr. (John?) Bullitt started the site alone but happened to use many of Ven T's translations.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:12 am

Mkoll wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 am
JohnK wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 pm
Was he involved in starting the site? I thought Mr. (John?) Bullitt started the site alone but happened to use many of Ven T's translations.
I'm glad I thought to apologize in advance about my imprecision and acknowledge my lack of expertise! I guess I assumed, because so much of the ATI content was his, that he was in some way "behind" it (but I see now perhaps only by way of supporting/allowing that use of his translations and teachings). I really don't know the history of the site, so any clarification here is appreciated. I apologize again for speaking/posting carelessly.
"Why is it, Master Kaccana, that ascetics fight with ascetics?"
"It is, brahmin, because of attachment to views, adherence to views, fixation on views, addiction to views, obsession with views, holding firmly to views that ascetics fight with ascetics" (AN 2: iv, 6, abridged).
Kindly eyes, not verbal daggers.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:17 am

No need to apologize! I don't know for sure either.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:01 pm

This is just what I know, but quite some time ago, I want to say maybe 2005-6, I was referred to ATI. I've mentioned this story on here before but the first meditation class I took was 12 weeks, and at the end, the teacher said "if you want to know more about where this meditation tradition comes from, go to Access to Insight". That was almost the perfect introduction to the path looking back on it. But I digress :)

At that time the site was phrased as working with TB for it's source material but run by someone else who eventually stopped updating the site but kept it up.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:04 am

Mkoll wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:17 am
No need to apologize! I don't know for sure either.
I suggest reading the "About Us" link on Access to Insight:

https://accesstoinsight.org/faq.html#history
How did Access to Insight start?
In early 1993, with the help of the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies, John Bullitt set up a dialup computer bulletin board service (BBS) in his home in an effort to see if networked computers might be useful as a support for other students and practitioners of Buddhism. ...
And this on Thanissaro Bhikkhu's site:
https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/KN/U ... ments.html
More than a decade ago I began supplying translations from the Pali Canon to what was then a fledgling website, Access to Insight. Among the earliest translations was an anthology of passages from the Udāna. For quite some time now I have wanted to replace that anthology with a complete translation, both because my early effort contained a number of minor mistakes, and because, as I became more sensitive to the literary dimensions of the Pali Canon, I came to see that the Udāna is a well-constructed whole, with each part amplifying and amplified by the others. Only a complete translation could do justice to the skill with which the collection was compiled.

:heart:
Mike

mario92

Post by mario92 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 am

dhammapal wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am
Wat Metta now has a Paypal account. See this link for full details.

Donations can be made by PayPal or credit card.

With Paypal donations you can add instructions of your preference of General Support, Construction Projects or Books/Dhamma distribution.

They are very generous often posting large parcels of paper books unrequested so indicate if you prefer to read online and don't tick the box providing a marketing shipping address. To request printed books write to the monastery using this form.
Thank you very much i didnt noticed until now :)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:12 am

Speaking of Wat Metta, there is a forest fire in San Diego County right now that is not too far from the monastery. The good news though is that the fire is West of the fairly wide Interstate 15 freeway and the monastery is a few miles East of the freeway, so I'd imagine it would take a pretty big wind or spark for the fire to go East.

http://google.org/crisismap/google.com/ ... %2C16%2C17

CedarTree

Post by CedarTree » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:41 pm

DNS wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:12 am
Speaking of Wat Metta, there is a forest fire in San Diego County right now that is not too far from the monastery. The good news though is that the fire is West of the fairly wide Interstate 15 freeway and the monastery is a few miles East of the freeway, so I'd imagine it would take a pretty big wind or spark for the fire to go East.

http://google.org/crisismap/google.com/ ... %2C16%2C17
Hope the place is okay. Ajahn Geoff is awesome.

Practice, Practice, Practice

trefoil

Post by trefoil » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 pm

dharmacorps wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:26 pm
you can donate online on www.networkforgood.com and search wat metta.
Thank you for posting this.