wat metta in Valley Center CA USA

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
mario92

wat metta in Valley Center CA USA

Post by mario92 »

Does someone knows if wat metta accepts money orders?
mario92

Re: wat metta in Valley Center CA USA

Post by mario92 »

Other ways of donating also?
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

you can donate online on www.networkforgood.com and search wat metta.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you dharmacorps :D
mario92

Post by mario92 »

dharmacorps wrote:you can donate online on http://www.networkforgood.com and search wat metta.
I think this applies only to the US
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

Wat Metta now has a Paypal account. See this link for full details.

Donations can be made by PayPal or credit card.

With Paypal donations you can add instructions of your preference of General Support, Construction Projects or Books/Dhamma distribution.

They are very generous often posting large parcels of paper books unrequested so indicate if you prefer to read online and don't tick the box providing a marketing shipping address. To request printed books write to the monastery using this form.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Many here know this but maybe not all.
Wat Metta is the monastery where Thanissaro Bhikkhu is the abbot.
He is one of the major Pali Canon translators (to English), also translating Thai Forest ajaans; and his translations and commentary are cited/quoted here on DW on a regular basis; his work is not sold, and most if not all is available electronically -- many of us have used this resource to quote his work here on DW.
Links to accesstoinsight are posted here very often -- he is the person who was behind that site.
So, here at DW, we are regular recipients of his work and teachings.
In the context of dana, just saying...
(I apologize if anything I have said is imprecise, but it is in the ballpark, and I am happy to be corrected -- I'm not an expert on Thanissaro.)
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
bodom

Post by bodom »

I have sent money orders along with written book requests. The monastery pays for the postage and has sent me literally dozens of free books and it is good to help them to be able to continue offering free Dhamma books to the world.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

access to insight is now run by the Insight Meditation Center in Barre, MA. Same content, but the site is not run by TB anymore.

I believe Tan Geoff, his translations, publications, and teachings are vital to theravada Buddhism today. Great resource!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Note that Thanissaro Bhikkhu's updated translations and new books are here:

https://www.dhammatalks.org

Mike
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

JohnK wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 pm Many here know this but maybe not all.
He is one of the major Pali Canon translators (to English), also translating Thai Forest ajaans; and his translations and commentary are cited/quoted here on DW on a regular basis; his work is not sold, and most if not all is available electronically -- many of us have used this resource to quote his work here on DW.
Links to accesstoinsight are posted here very often -- he is the person who was behind that site.
(I apologize if anything I have said is imprecise, but it is in the ballpark, and I am happy to be corrected -- I'm not an expert on Thanissaro.)
Was he involved in starting the site? I thought Mr. (John?) Bullitt started the site alone but happened to use many of Ven T's translations.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Mkoll wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 am
JohnK wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 pm Many here know this but maybe not all.
Was he involved in starting the site? I thought Mr. (John?) Bullitt started the site alone but happened to use many of Ven T's translations.
I'm glad I thought to apologize in advance about my imprecision and acknowledge my lack of expertise! I guess I assumed, because so much of the ATI content was his, that he was in some way "behind" it (but I see now perhaps only by way of supporting/allowing that use of his translations and teachings). I really don't know the history of the site, so any clarification here is appreciated. I apologize again for speaking/posting carelessly.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

No need to apologize! I don't know for sure either.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

This is just what I know, but quite some time ago, I want to say maybe 2005-6, I was referred to ATI. I've mentioned this story on here before but the first meditation class I took was 12 weeks, and at the end, the teacher said "if you want to know more about where this meditation tradition comes from, go to Access to Insight". That was almost the perfect introduction to the path looking back on it. But I digress :)

At that time the site was phrased as working with TB for it's source material but run by someone else who eventually stopped updating the site but kept it up.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Mkoll wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:17 am No need to apologize! I don't know for sure either.
I suggest reading the "About Us" link on Access to Insight:

https://accesstoinsight.org/faq.html#history
How did Access to Insight start?
In early 1993, with the help of the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies, John Bullitt set up a dialup computer bulletin board service (BBS) in his home in an effort to see if networked computers might be useful as a support for other students and practitioners of Buddhism. ...
And this on Thanissaro Bhikkhu's site:
https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/KN/U ... ments.html
More than a decade ago I began supplying translations from the Pali Canon to what was then a fledgling website, Access to Insight. Among the earliest translations was an anthology of passages from the Udāna. For quite some time now I have wanted to replace that anthology with a complete translation, both because my early effort contained a number of minor mistakes, and because, as I became more sensitive to the literary dimensions of the Pali Canon, I came to see that the Udāna is a well-constructed whole, with each part amplifying and amplified by the others. Only a complete translation could do justice to the skill with which the collection was compiled.

:heart:
Mike