DhammaWheel Public Library Challenge: The Social Harmony Edition

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
BKh

DhammaWheel Public Library Challenge: The Social Harmony Edition

Post by BKh »

Now seems like a good time to encourage folks to recommend that their local public library purchase a copy of Bhikkhu Bodhi's latest anthology, The Buddha's Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony.

Most public libraries have a system for current patrons to submit a suggestion either on line or in person at a branch. Here are the book details you may need to have:

Title: The Buddha's Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon
Author: Bhikkhu Bodhi
ISBN: 978-1614293552

In the comments field in my library's form I wrote:
This is the latest anthology of Buddhist scriptures from the esteemed author and translator monk Bhikkhu Bodhi. It follows his highly praised anthology *In the Buddha's Words*, which you already have in the collection. It was just published in December and already has several five star reviews on amazon.com. The material in this anthology is relevant to people of all backgrounds and provides an excellent doorway to the modern application of ancient Buddhist scriptures. With a foreword by the Dali Lama and individual chapter introductions it will have an appeal to many readers.
Many libraries restrict purchases to newly published books, so now is a good time to suggest it. They will often refer to amazon.com reviews, so if you have read the books, you could post a review on amazon to help out.

Please post in this thread when you make a request and share any tips you discover. Also let us know when the book comes in to your branch.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
BKh

Re: DhammaWheel Public Library Challenge: The Social Harmony Edition

Post by BKh »

I was happy to see that our library system has ordered three copies for the collection. Anyone else have any luck getting books purchased?
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
padmini

Post by padmini »

Are there any plans to translate the book into other languages?

Unfortunately our local library would only (or mainly) purchase books in Italian as not many people can read English proficiently here.
The Buddha's path is simple and meant for ordinary people; anyone with goodwill and determination can follow its steps toward freedom of heart and mind
-- Ven. Ayya Khema
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

To my surprise and delight, I put in a request for the Oakland public library to purchase this and received an email informing me they had done so! :anjali:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »