Buddhism in Indonesia

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
pilgrim

Buddhism in Indonesia

Post by pilgrim »

Hello , I noticed thre is a bhikkhu here from Indonesia ( dvemebhikkhave ) and I'd like to engage in a conversation to learn more about the situation of Theravada in the archipelago.

I understand there is a native sangha, alled the Sangha Theravada Indonesia, which is a branch of the Thai Dhammayut Nikaya consisting of about 80+ monks. Can I ask how do monks ordained in the Burmese and Thai Siam Nikayas fit in. Are there different sanghas coexisting?
bhante dhamma

The sixth Mara

Post by bhante dhamma »

Namo Buddhaya

Hi pilgrim, yes i live in Indonesia but am from Auz, where i live in Lombok - yes its most thai dhammyut tradition- but there are other nikaya/sanghas as well. There is the usual Burmese Mahasi/Goenka tradition, and a soon to be built Pa Auk forest Wat (West Java), actually there is already one in Central Java, as to the question as to whether they peacefully co-exist...we'll there are the five Mara's -Citta Sankhara, Mara sankhara, maccu-mara, deva-putta-mara, sankhara-mara- and my own 6th mara...the worst of all the Nikaya-Mara!!, in a less samsaric world there would be no religious insitutions/ or formal monastic clergy, much less the phnomena of a abbott which historically has no basis and is painfully obvious to me everyday of my existence as to why in kusinara, under the sala trees in front of the sangha, ananda and the devas why the blessed one didn't hand over the dispensation to any 'group' or 'individual' because dhamma vinaya functions best without to many isms...

Namo Buddhaya
pilgrim

Re: Buddhism in Indonesia

Post by pilgrim »

So does the STI admit monks from other lineages such as Pa Auk into its sangha or does it require them to reordain into Dhammayut ?