DhammaWheel Public Library Challenge

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
BKh

DhammaWheel Public Library Challenge

Post by BKh »

I'd like to challenge DhammaWheel members to get their local public library to add Bhante Bodhi's book In the Buddha's Words (ItBW) to their collection.

Background: I've noticed that many public libraries are lacking in translations of the suttas. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as donating a copy; many libraries don't take donations. And many libraries won't buy books that are more than a year or two old. So getting them to add any of the sutta translations can take some effort.

I'm going to work on getting a copy in our local library and will post updates on my progress. I will also add to this first post any tips or strategies people come up with. This thread can be a place for everyone to share there efforts to meet the challenge.

Of course any one is free to ask their library to add any Dhamma book, but I thought it would be fun for us to focus on a single book at first.

So...
Are you a librarian and can offer tips?
Have you ever gotten your local library to add a book of suttas?
Does your local library already have a copy of ItBW?

And most importantly...
Will you take up the challenge to get In the Buddha's Words in your local library?

------------------------------
Tips and Suggestions
* Usually to request a book, you need to have a library card.
* Check to see if the library has any Sutta translations. If not, that can strengthen your case.
* libraries may have a policy of buying electronic versions of books if they are older. You can explain that because of numerous cross references this is not ideal for ItBW.

Here are some relevant facts about ItBW that may be helpful to share:
  • It is a commercially published book
    It is still in print, even though it came out in 2005
    It is very inexpensive (find your local retail price)
    It has excellent reviews on Amazon.com (4.7 out of five)
    The publisher requested that the author create the anthology for use in University classrooms.
    The author is one of the preeminent translators of Buddhist texts.
-------------------------------------------------
Participants
User (library) Date started
BKh (Saskatoon Public Library) 6 April 2016—ordered
Ben (Tasmania?) 6 April 2016
Daverupa (SLC)
Last edited by BKh on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
daverupa

Re: DhammaWheel Public Library Challenge

Post by daverupa »

Also, perhaps his Great Disciples of the Buddha & his upcoming The Buddha's Teaching on Social and Communal Harmony. It makes for a nice public library trilogy, I expect.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Ben

Post by Ben »

An excellent idea, Bhante!
I recommend everyone to take part in the challenge.
kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BKh

Post by BKh »

daverupa wrote:Also, perhaps his Great Disciples of the Buddha & his upcoming The Buddha's Teaching on Social and Communal Harmony. It makes for a nice public library trilogy, I expect.
Yes, I had the exact same thought. With his new book, that will be much easier simply because it's new. Probably as simple as filling out a request form.

So can we count you in to work on ItBW?
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Ben

Post by Ben »

And an addendum to report I have submitted the recommendation of ITBW to our library service.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

BKh

Post by BKh »

Ben wrote:And an addendum to report I have submitted the recommendation of ITBW to our library service.
Sadhu!
I'm guessing you did an online submission. Did they indicate any policies about book selection? Did they say if they would notify you if the request was rejected?
Ben

Post by Ben »

BKh wrote:
Ben wrote:And an addendum to report I have submitted the recommendation of ITBW to our library service.
Sadhu!
I'm guessing you did an online submission. Did they indicate any policies about book selection? Did they say if they would notify you if the request was rejected?
Yes, Bhante. They said that they would respond within ten days. I didn't look at their collection development policy but I am thinking that it would be fairly inclusive. Tasmania has the one library with branches in the major population centres. I expect the only limit would be priorities determined by budget. I did a search of their online catalogue and the text was not there nor any texts by Bhikkhu Bodhi or for that matter - very many texts on Buddhism.
kind regards,
Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

BKh wrote:So can we count you in to work on ItBW?
It was already begun! The university library has received a slew of such things, but of course now it's time to move on to more public realms.

:anjali:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

BKh

Post by BKh »

Hello BKh,
Thank you for your suggestion. I have ordered copies for the library.
Best,
T_______ S_________, B.A., MLIS
Adult Collections Librarian
Saskatoon Public Library
Our first success!
SDC

Post by SDC »

Great idea here, Bhante. I have been planning this for a while to do at my local library, so now it is time to put my money where my mouth is.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
BKh

Post by BKh »

daverupa wrote:It was already begun! The university library has received a slew of such things, but of course now it's time to move on to more public realms.
Do you mind telling us what library you are working on so I can add you to the list?
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

BKh wrote:
daverupa wrote:It was already begun! The university library has received a slew of such things, but of course now it's time to move on to more public realms.
Do you mind telling us what library you are working on so I can add you to the list?
This is the University of Utah Library; now there's the Salt Lake City & County Public Library Systems to get to work on.

BKh

Post by BKh »

Just saw that our library has added ItBW to the online catalogue–four copies! I was surprised they even added more than one. The books aren't available yet, but should be in soon.

Anyone else heard anything back from their library?
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I donated a handful of Buddhist books my local library a year (?) ago. In the Buddha's Words was among them. I asked the front desk for the name and email of the curator for the adult non-fiction section. I then emailed her and discussed which books she would take and which she wouldn't. She accepted all I wanted to give, and so they're now part of the collection.

It's a great idea to add more dhamma books to the world's libraries. When I was a teen there were no Buddhist books available to me in the libraries.
BKh

Post by BKh »

BKh wrote:Just saw that our library has added ItBW to the online catalogue–four copies! I was surprised they even added more than one. The books aren't available yet, but should be in soon.

Anyone else heard anything back from their library?
Well, about four months after the initial request, four copies have arrived at the Saskatoon Public Library. Has anyone had any luck with their libraries?