What is the least I should know and practice to realise Nibbana?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sunnat

Re: What is the least I should know and practice to realise Nibbana?

Post by sunnat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:19 pm

to get rid of 'I' conceit give something away without expecting anything in return, and continue practicing

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:28 pm

without expecting anything in return
Why do you have to do anything if there is no return?
Might as well do nothing without expecting anything in return!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

nmjojola

Post by nmjojola » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:27 am

This may sound a bit like a riddle but that's because of how the question posed here is phrased, but the answer to what I believe you're trying to articulate here is Nibbana.
Realization of Nibbana is what shows you the path, it's understanding the meaning of, and coming to know correctly what is, Nibbana, that shows you what the practice is. The practice/path is how to bring about consummation of what it is that has been won (release/freedom from suffering), and the practice cannot begin until that much is won, hence it all starts with right view, the 1-8 sequence of the path is not arbitrary, there is a significance to it.

The path is a guide to the consummation of release, not a guide to understanding - understanding is what is already in place when one is practicing Gautama's teaching - hence the motif of 'Awakening' or 'Enlightenment'.
There is no guide to reach understanding unfortunately, hence it's the only true (or worthy?) miracle - however, the (two) conditions for it were pointed out for the benefit of our contemplation:
  • presence of its (understanding's) expression, and
  • appropriate attention to that (to said expression).

Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:47 am

Bhikkhus, when the perception of impermanence is developed and cultivated, it eliminates all sensual lust, it eliminates all lust for existence, it eliminates all ignorance, it uproots all conceit ‘I am.
Just as, bhikkhus, when the stalk of a bunch of mangoes has been cut, all the mangoes attached to the stalk follow along with it, so too, when the perception of impermanence is developed and cultivated, it eliminates all sensual lust, it eliminates all lust for existence, it eliminates all ignorance, it uproots all conceit ‘I am
And how, bhikkhus, is the perception of impermanence developed and cultivated so that it eliminates all sensual lust, eliminates all lust for existence, eliminates all ignorance, and uproots all conceit ‘I am’?
‘Such is form, such its origin, such its passing away;
such is feeling …
such is perception …
such are volitional formations …
such is consciousness, such its origin, such its passing away
that is how the perception of impermanence is developed and cultivated so that it eliminates all sensual lust, eliminates all lust for existence, eliminates all ignorance, and uproots all conceit ‘I am.
https://suttacentral.net/sn22.102/en/bodhi
O seeing one,we for refuge go to thee!
O mighty sage do thou our teacher be!

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ,
Tattha tattha vipassati

“Yato yato mano nivāraye,
Na dukkhameti naṃ tato tato;
Sa sabbato mano nivāraye,
Sa sabbato dukkhā pamuccatī”ti.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:38 am

Bhikkhus, when the perception of impermanence is developed and cultivated, it eliminates all sensual lust, it eliminates all lust for existence, it eliminates all ignorance, it uproots all conceit ‘I am.
We all know this.
Even non-Buddhist know this, especially the nihilist and scientists.

Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:07 am

And what, bhikkhus, is the origin of form? What is the origin of feeling? What is the origin of perception? What is the origin of volitional formations? What is the origin of consciousness?

“Here, bhikkhus, one seeks delight, one welcomes, one remains holding. And what is it that one seeks delight in, what does one welcome, to what does one remain holding? One seeks delight in form, welcomes it, and remains holding to it. As a consequence of this, delight arises. Delight in form is clinging. With one’s clinging as condition, existence comes to be; with existence as condition, birth; with birth as condition, aging-and-death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair come to be. Such is the origin of this whole mass of suffering.

“One seeks delight in feeling … in perception … in volitional formations … in consciousness, welcomes it, and remains holding to it. As a consequence of this, delight arises…. Such is the origin of this whole mass of suffering.

“This, bhikkhus, is the origin of form; this is the origin of feeling; this is the origin of perception; this is the origin of volitional formations; this is the origin of consciousness.

“And what, bhikkhus, is the passing away of form? What is the passing away of feeling? What is the passing away of perception? What is the passing away of volitional formations? What is the passing away of consciousness?

“Here, bhikkhus, one does not seek delight, one does not welcome, one does not remain holding. And what is it that one does not seek delight in? What doesn’t one welcome? To what doesn’t one remain holding? One does not seek delight in form, does not welcome it, does not remain holding to it. As a consequence of this, delight in form ceases. With the cessation of delight comes cessation of clinging; with cessation of clinging, cessation of existence…. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.

“One does not seek delight in feeling … … in perception … in volitional formations … in consciousness, does not welcome it, does not remain holding to it. As a consequence of this, delight in consciousness ceases…. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.

“This, bhikkhus, is the passing away of form; this is the passing away of feeling; this is the passing away of perception; this is the passing away of volitional formations; this is the passing away of consciousness.”
https://suttacentral.net/sn22.5/en/bodhi

Tattha tattha vipassati

lavantien

Post by lavantien » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 am

SarathW wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:14 am
I do not think we have enough time in this life to learn about what Buddha taught for about forty years.
Even to read and understand Sutta pitaka and commentaries take such a long time.
Nothing worth grasping.
Then the Teacher, being sympathetic, and having compassion for the whole world,
said to me, “Come, monk!” That was my ordination.
Staying alone in the wilderness, meditating tirelessly,
I have completed what the Teacher taught, just as the victor advised me.

In the first watch of the night, I recollected my past lives.
In the middle watch of the night, I purified my clairvoyance.
In the last watch of the night, I shattered the mass of darkness.

Alīno

Post by Alīno » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:40 am

SarathW wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:48 pm
I think your object, Sarath, is mental formations
Agree.
But isn't that applied to all of us?
In the west countries - yes. But in rural agricultural society it can be the body. But it you know, self identifucation it's so subtile so even if we think not to be attached to the body, actualy we are...
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...

Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 am

A very nice summary of Sotapanna and path of practice.

Tattha tattha vipassati

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:42 am

Greetings Sarath,
SarathW wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:14 am
I'd recommend reading the suttas and case studies in The arising of the Dhamma-Eye topic, and trying to work out what the common factors are. Whatever they are, is the answer to your question.

Also, side question, is there a reason why this is in the Dhammaduta section? Are you thinking of promoting the answer to your query?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 am

Thanks Paul.
Please move this thread to the Theravada discussion.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:13 am

Greetings,
SarathW wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 am
Thanks Paul.
Please move this thread to the Theravada discussion.
Done, thanks.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)